Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek: Almost Unbearable Excitement

Lael Rosek

Jul 2, 2019, 3:56:54 AM7/2/19
to sb118-a...@googlegroups.com

(( Bridge, USS Astraeus ))

::There was a certain excitement in the air on the bridge as the departments ran their final checks before departure. With so much to do in such a short time, she imagined everyone was busy with their assigned tasks. She'd never been part of a relaunch from dry dock before...especially not from her current spot in the first officer's seat. A wide grin spread across her lips as she felt her own excitement building. The present view was of the tropical world of Cait, but soon the viewer would be filled from one edge of the screen to the other with the black of space dotted with pinpricks of light.::

::The sound of the ready room doors opening caught her by surprise and she rose out of habit, smiling at Mei.::

Rosek: ::loudly:: Captain on the bridge.

::Even after months as first officer, she hadn't gotten completely used to it. There was always a new experience to be had and it was still as exciting as it had been the first time she'd occupied the first officer's chair on the Montreal bridge.::

Any: Response?

Mei’konda: As you were.

::She watched as Mei strode confidently across the bridge and settled into the Captain's chair before she slid back down into the chair beside his.::

Mei’konda: All stations report ready, Commander Rosek?

Rosek: ::grins:: Aye, Captain.

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Good.  Then let’s waake up Lieutenant Harkrow, shall we?

::She chuckled. No doubt Harkrow was wide awake. Engineering was one of the busiest departments on the ship at the best of times, much less during a launch. She could practically hear him shouting marching orders to every officer in hearing distance. She remembered it well from her time as Chief Engineer. For a moment, she allowed herself to linger on the fond memories before forcing her mind to return to the present.::

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: =/\= Mei’konda to Engineering. =/\=

Harkrow / Engineering: =/\= Responses =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Bring main power online, and secure from condition blue.  I want us warp ready in fifteen minutes. :: =/\=

::T-minus fifteen minutes. She had to resist the urge to say it out loud, a slight blush creeping into her cheeks at the thought of how ridiculous she'd sound. She cleared her throat, focusing her attention on the console embedded in the left arm of her chair. All departments had confirmed readiness by this stage and were just waiting for the final go ahead from the bridge.::

Harkrow / Engineering: =/\= Responses =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Thank you, Chief.  Bridge out. =/\=

Mei’konda:Lieutenant Hamasaki, contact the dock master and request permission to depaart.

Hamasaki: Response

Mei’konda: On screen.

Hamasaki: Response

::Lael vaguely recognized the white-furred Caitian woman on the screen. She was certain they'd passed one another in the spacedock's corridors a couple of times. Desperate to find something to do with her hands, Lael slid them slowly over the arms of the chair, exhaling a soft sigh.::

Traffic Control: =/\= This is spacedock traffiiic control.  Request for NCC-seven-zero-six-five-two to launch and commenccce on mission has been approved.  Use deparrrture vector alpha, thrusters only, and proceed alooong that path to open space. Safe flights, Astraeus. =/\=

Mei’konda: =/\= Much obliged, traffic control.  Astraeus out. =/\=

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Lieutenant Hamasaki, take us out.  Once we’re clear of spacedock airspace, begin testing maneuvers.  At your discretiion, Lieutenant.

::In that moment, Lael envied the younger woman just a bit. She missed her days at the helm of a ship, feeling the powerful vibrations of the impulse drive coming to life through the deck beneath her feet. It was as close to flying as she'd ever come. The feeling was exhilarating.::

::The viewscreen switched to aft view with Cait growing progressively smaller behind them, framed by the two bright blue warp nacelles. She heard Mei's exhalation beside her and saw him rise to his feet.::

Mei’konda: That’s it, then.  We’re on our way.

Any: Responses

::The bosun's whistle announced the opening of a shipwide channel, something she'd come to associate with a profound speech to follow. The Astraeus's maiden voyage under a new captain. That was certain worth ceremony and pomp. She studied the Caitian's elegant features, her gaze flickering to the pips sitting on his command red collar. Captain's pips. A crooked smile crossed her lips. She hoped to see those on her collar someday. The very thought was overwhelmingly exciting.::

Mei’konda: =/\= This is Captain Mei’konda.  We’ve just undocked from the Ferasa Prime spacedock, and we are prepaaring to set a course back toward the core of Federation space.  Many of us haven’t been back in a long tiime. Perhaps there will be time to see friends. But… that’s not why we are all on this ship. =/\=

:: He paused a moment, then continued. ::

Mei’konda: =/\= We are the latest in a long line of the best of Starfleet, the officers and crew who bring the Astraeus to life.  This shiip has met new life, made new discoveriies… and now, with us, she will again. I look forwaard to serviing with you all, on one of the best ships, with the best crew in the fleet.  Mei’konda out. =/\=

Any: Response

:: Again, Mei slid into the captain's chair and tilted his head back, smiling at her.::

Mei’konda: Ready to get to work, Commander?

Rosek: ::smirks:: Yes, sir.

Any: Responses

Mei’konda: Excellent.  Lieutenant Hamasaki, lay in a course for Bajor.  Set speed to rise incrementally until we reach our cruising speed of warp eight.  Tomorrow, we will test the slipstream driive.

Hamasaki / Any: Responses

:: The screen again switched to forward view and they found themselves looking at the path ahead of them.::

Mei’konda: Engage.

Hamasaki / Any: Responses

:: She felt the kick of the warp engines coming to life and couldn't contain her excited grin.::

Rosek: ::to German:: Commander Galven, keep an eye out for spatial disturbances or anything along our path that we need to avoid. Relay anything of significance to Lieutenant Hamasaki so she can make the required course corrections.

Galven/Any: Response

Rosek: ::to the Tactical station:: We should be relatively safe traveling through Federation core space, but once we hit the edge, we don't know for certain what we'll find. Keep your eyes out and be ready.

Shin/Any: Reponse

Mei'konda: Response

Rosek: ::grins wryly:: Better safe than sorry.

Mei'konda/Shin/Galven/Hamasaki/Any: Response

---

Lieutenant Commander Lael Rosek
Executive Officer
USS Astraeus