Capt. Zaekia, RAdm Renos - Awards and Promotions (conference room)

Renos SB118

Dec 6, 2017, 4:30:08 AM12/6/17
to Andaris Task Force IC
((USS Blackwell, Deck 2, Main Conference Room))

::The captain waited an appropriate amount of time to let the news sink in and for everyone who wanted to speak in greeting to do so. The response was positive and the crew did what they did best - they dealt with change with dignity, grace and good humour.. As the room quietened down ne heard the Admiral clearing nir throat. They would be taking the journey back to Deep Space 26 together, and from there his journey would continue, while the Admiral would remain at the station.::

Zaekia: There are a few promotions and awards to announce, after that I will turn the floor over to your new command team. At the conclusion of the meeting, command of the vessel will be transferred to Commander Whittaker on the bridge.

::He looked around the room, taking in each face before resuming.::

Zaekia: Mr Pandorn, please come forward. ::He waited until the officer stood beside nem before continuing:: Since you joined this crew your work ethic, leadership ability and attention to detail have impressed me. Your contributions to the team working on the data Negrid provided was second to none and led to important breakthroughs in the case against the Consortium. For those reasons I am proud to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant and chief tactical officer. Congratulations!

Pandorn: Response

Thoran: (+anyone) Response

::While the room erupted in applause and voices clamoured to offer their congratulations, Akinor replaced the second, black pip upon Krindo’s collar with a gold one then offered him a handshake as was customary among humans and popular in much of Federation culture. In Kalean culture physical greetings or other signals were not used and the equivalents were done with telepathic gestures - something that simply wasn’t possible due to the reader’s code. He therefore tended to favour the gesture commonly used among the people he was interacting directly with, where possible. He didn’t know every greeting for every species but in his long career he had learned the most common gestures of at least a dozen species and a few of those were not meant for civil occasions.::

::Akinor continued smiling as Pandorn headed back to his seat. Those this was a sad day for him personally in terms of saying goodbye, it was also a day for celebrating great officers doing hard, important work and exceeding all expectations. Being able to do this final ceremony and see that fierce sense of pride everyone took in their work one last time lifted his spirits some. Whittaker and Cecil had nothing short of the best crew in the fleet and of them here was assembled the very finest senior team. Some might say he was biased and maybe he was but regardless he still felt it true.::

Zaekia: Dr G’Renn, front and centre, please. ::Again he waited for her to rise and join him:: You’ve been with Andaris Task Force for quite some time now and you’ve served under two of the greatest chief medical officers. More than that, you’ve learned from their example and shown us that you too have what it takes to be an inspirational leader. That’s why I am hereby promoting you to the rank of Lieutenant and chief medical officer.

G’Renn: Response

Sakur: (+anyone) Response

::As he swapped the black pip for a gold one as he had done for Pandorn moments ago, he recalled how Dr G’Renn had helped him when he’d had the lapse. He’d burst into sickbay, whipped into quite the fervour, pressing her to do a deep brain scan. Understandable it had come as quite a surprise as it wasn’t every day that someone turned up demanding an advanced scan without much of an explanation. His mind had raced away from him, leaving his manners and good sense in the dust. With calm professionalism, she had managed to tease from him what was on his mind and conducted the scan that would put his perfectly functioning mind at ease. Many of the faces in here would be able to tell similar tales of how the good doctor had helped them through a crisis. She was going to be a wonderful department leader, and in many ways she already was as she had stepped up considerably after Dr Pond’s departure. Being a hybrid, Akinor was less certain about what gesture the good doctor would prefer. Having learned that she’d spent a considerable time on vulcan he opted for a Vulcan salute, reasoning that she may be more familiar and comfortable with it.::

Zaekia: For willingly putting themselves in the line of danger to recover the ejected warp core, and outstanding service during the runaway ship crisis - I award Commander Shayne and Ensign Tu’Peq the good conduct ribbon. Your help and support of me during that difficult time was invaluable and you’re the reason we got the crew through it at all. On behalf of all of the crew you have my sincerest thanks.

Shayne/Tu’Peq: Responses

R’Ven: (+anyone) Response

::He pinned the ribbon to the service jacket of each officer before returning to the head of the table as the crew again expressed their appreciation. The next award felt a little awkward because Admiral Renos had decided he should also be a recipient of it. Though ne was here, ne had insisted he conduct this ceremony and enjoy this last moment with the crew. The ribbon was a reminder of a time his mental abilities were crippled. He had been missing telepathic contact for some months and longing to strike a friendship with any telepath willing to share mental conversations with him. He’d certainly got his wish - in a sense - and a whole lot more. Suddenly unable to exert any control over his telepathy, he had been bombarded and overwhelmed by the thoughts of others. Ordinarily he could deal with all those voices and a good many more too, but the virus had stripped him of more than his control over what he was projecting and receiving. It stripped him of his ability to mentally cope with it and made him relive experiences that weren’t all his own.::

::Doctor G’Renn was among those affected too. She had been instrumental in investigating the illness as the outbreak emerged. Together with her team they had learned the nature of the disease. Unfortunately, she had succumbed to it and had been unable to help with the development of the cure as she would have wanted to do. She had been close to losing her mind entirely and potentially her life when they’d finally had the breakthrough. He had been extremely close to slipping into the same state as her and was keenly aware of it even now. Perhaps when his feelings about the experience was less raw, he would look upon the ribbon in a different light.::

Zaekia: For developing the cure for the telepathic virus that threatened to cripple and potentially kill the Blackwell’s telepathic virus the medical science ribbon is awarded to Commanders R’Ven and Stennes… ::He paused and cleared his throat quietly, bringing himself to mutter the final words almost inaudibly:: ...and myself.

::Detecting the Kalean’s discomfort in his voice and posture, Renos spoke up from the back in a clear, strong voice. Ne hadn’t planned to speak or interfere in this ceremony but old habits died hard and maybe ne was just an interfering busybody. Ne had no regrets in any case.::

Renos: It goes without saying that this vital cure meant a great deal to more than just those who were directly affected. Doctor G’Renn and Captain Zaekia, you were both afflicted by the disease and made considerable effort to work towards its cure. You did so in a manner that recognised your own limits and without compromising the operation of the ship. It can’t be overstated how thankful we all are to everyone involved at each step along the difficult journey.

::Captain Zaekia had made the decision to voluntarily relinquish command of the ship to his first officer in order to ensure that a command capable officer was in charge, rather than wait until his senior staff were forced to take steps to remove him. That would have been a far more drawn out and painful process for all involved. Doctor G’renn had also had to wrestle with the same issue of how much she could reasonably do when faced with such personal hardship.::

G’Renn/Stennes/R’Ven: Response(s)

::There was just one final award to make and then it would be time to turn the floor over to the new CO and FO who would explain what they had in store for the senior staff. He had cooked up a scheme in conjunction with Mr Thoran for a team building exercise that would get everyone working together and help the new and experienced crew gel together in a way that was fun. It was to strengthen the bonds between the senior leadership and rest of the senior staff as well as between members of the senior staff that didn’t always get to serve together. Though he would no longer be involved, and he would miss his chance to be a beast master with a crow and dire wolf to command, the new team had gracefully took him up on his offer to run it. He was sure it would be the perfect way for Whittaker and Cecil to build bonds with a crew they were unfamiliar with. It would have been a shame for all the good work that went into it to go to waste after all.::

Zaekia: Admiral Renos, Lieutenants Thoran and Pandorn, I would like to present you with the diplomatic ribbon for your work at Consortium HQ and your dealings with the informant Negrid. The information we recovered has led to breakthroughs in our work investigating the Consortium. It could save other planets suffering the same pain we’ve seen inflicted upon Zakdorn and who knows how many other planets and that is a worthy goal I know each and every one of us is completely dedicated to.

Thoran/Pandorn: Responses

Renos: Thank you Captain.

::Akinor seemed to slow some as he awarded these final ribbons, as if trying to eke out these last precious moments as much as possible. Finally, he returned to the head of the table.::

Zaekia: Thanks once again to you all for your service. You are a fantastic senior team and to those that are here for the first time - I wish you all the best, may your careers be as exciting and fulfilling as mine has been. Now without further ado, I present Commanders Whittaker and Cecil who have a few things to say before the changing of command.

Whittaker/Cecil: Responses

Rear Admiral Renos - Commanding Officer, Andaris Task Force

* Executive Council & Captain's Council Member

A238805EB0