More on the connector - a 3D solution

Dave Koberstein

Nov 11, 2015, 6:58:55 PM11/11/15
to sark110
I recently obtained the super-cool Sark110. As others have mentioned, the connector seems the potential weak point. Trying to twist it around to read while hanging off the end of RG-8 seems like a recipe for repair.

With help from KA4VBF, we 3D-printed a solution. It holds the MCS-SMA at the hex neck. It wraps underneath and screws in with longer, replacement chassis screws. It is designed to support the rubber case although a little exacto work is required on the rubber.

Attached are 3 photos to give you an idea how it works. Also attached is the STL file should you want to have a go. If you'd like the SCAD let me know.

Note that the 3d print might require a little exacto cleaning up.

I replaced the chassis screws with M2x0.4x14. Unfortunately I had to buy 100. If you want to send me an SASE I'll send you a couple.

Don't have access to a 3D printer? There's a community. Try this: https://printathing.com/

Dave
N9DK

IMG_20151111_154258.jpg
IMG_20151111_154234.jpg
IMG_20151111_154258.jpg
SARKv5.stl

Melchor Varela

Nov 14, 2015, 3:17:44 PM11/14/15
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Cool! What material did you use for printing?

Vasiliy Gokoyev

Jun 14, 2016, 11:05:29 AM6/14/16
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Excellent file Dave.  I dropped it off at the local public library and they printed it within one day.  The cost was 25 cents per gram, $1.06 total  :).  I used 'HIPS' material, and it fit like a glove.

73! Vasiliy K3IT

Inline image 1
--
Vasiliy

John tf

Jun 14, 2016, 12:09:55 PM6/14/16
to sar...@googlegroups.com
How is the adapter set into the plastic ?
Points being , keeping the adapter from spinning , not spinning to keep from damaging the MCS fitting - the rule of using fittings - never spin center pins on each other , holding to get the correct torque on SMA ?
Your local library has a plastic printer ? cool , have see if there is one at a library here .

John
KD0CAC

Vasiliy Gokoyev

Jun 14, 2016, 12:32:46 PM6/14/16
to sar...@googlegroups.com
John.
the hole for the connector has a hex shape so the adapter does not spin at all.  very nice work by Dave N9DK!

John tf

Jun 14, 2016, 1:32:22 PM6/14/16
to sar...@googlegroups.com
ok thanks

k3gau Dave

Jul 5, 2016, 3:28:13 PM7/5/16
to sark110
GA Dave N9DK,

Thanks for the idea, SARKv5.stl and heads up about PrintaThing.  I just got my part from them in the mail today using your stl file.  Works great. I had mine made from PVC.  I didn't know which material to use.  The hardest part was dealing with modifying the rubber case. :-)

I was able to find some M2x0.4 x16mm screws at Home Depot but they were not black oxide coated but I don't really care. They work.

Dave K3GAU

Michael Finocchiaro

Dec 17, 2016, 10:19:36 PM12/17/16
to sark110

Hello Vasiliy,
Did you have the rubber case on your Sark or not? I was looking at the knubs on your unit and I was thinking that they were put their to make for the thickness of the rubber case if you didn't have one on your Sark.

Vasiliy Gokoyev

Dec 17, 2016, 10:49:56 PM12/17/16
to sar...@googlegroups.com
Mike
no case here, just the bare Sark.

Vasiliy

Michael Finocchiaro

Dec 18, 2016, 5:04:16 PM12/18/16
to sark110
Thank you for the info. I guess I have to find a library close by to get one made up....

Mike

Ruben Navarro Huedo

Jan 4, 2017, 7:22:52 AM1/4/17
to sark110