server lost its virtual raid structure

Todd Schafer

Oct 22, 2014, 4:34:04 PM10/22/14
to santacr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Geeks,

I am posting this for my friend Jesse Wilkins.. please contact him directly if you can help?

Question:
I had a server lose its virtual raid structure. Do you know anybody that can help with this?

Thanks!

Jesse Wilkins

Wilkins Computer Consulting
831-588-4319

Computer Center Santa Cruz
831-464-7262
5376 Soquel Dr.
Soquel, CA 95073

Alan Hawrylyshen

Oct 22, 2014, 4:53:22 PM10/22/14
to geeks geeks
Noting the OS and platform (at a minimum) might help us help him. He’s not going to appreciate a call from a Mac guy if it’s Linux, etc… :-)

On 22 Oct 2014, at 21:33, Todd Schafer <to...@schaferdesign.net> wrote:

Hello Geeks,

I am posting this for my friend Jesse Wilkins.. please contact him directly if you can help?

Question:
I had a server lose its virtual raid structure. Do you know anybody that can help with this?

Thanks!

Jesse Wilkins

Wilkins Computer Consulting
831-588-4319

Computer Center Santa Cruz
831-464-7262
5376 Soquel Dr.
Soquel, CA 95073

<sd-gmap-logobar-2013.png>

Todd Schafer

Oct 22, 2014, 5:38:01 PM10/22/14
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, Jesse Wilkins
Alan,

Windows 2003 SBS edition.
 Dell PowerEdge 2900.
PERC6/i raid controller
4 data drives in RAID 10

The RAID controller sees all 4 physical hard drives, but there is no configuration displayed for the virtual disks.

Alan Hawrylyshen

Oct 22, 2014, 5:39:57 PM10/22/14
to geeks geeks, Jesse Wilkins
Great info. Thanks Todd. Tag, I’m out — I’m that aforementioned Mac guy.

Best of luck sorting that out…. I’ve been in similarly scary positions.

On 22 Oct 2014, at 22:37, Todd Schafer <to...@schaferdesign.net> wrote:

Alan,

Windows 2003 SBS edition.
 Dell PowerEdge 2900.
PERC6/i raid controller
4 data drives in RAID 10

The RAID controller sees all 4 physical hard drives, but there is no configuration displayed for the virtual disks.

Anthony Ettinger

Oct 22, 2014, 7:41:39 PM10/22/14
to santacr...@googlegroups.com, Jesse Wilkins
For what its worth, you try on IRC and ask in one of the channels related to RAID.

Ben Hencke

Oct 23, 2014, 1:11:58 AM10/23/14
to santacr...@googlegroups.com
Todd,
I have a Dell 2950 w/ a PERC 6i and 2.5" drives. Last time I messed with the drives, IIRC it asked during boot if I wanted to load a foreign config, that may do the trick.

I'd also try removing the drives, booting into the disk config screen, and try removing the configs. I've had the in-controller config conflict what what was stored on the drives before. It may prompt to load config then.

It is also possible to recreate the raid structure _*without initializing the data*_, to restore access to the drives (the config screen mentions this). I'm sure the exact RAID config would need to be replicated, and be sure to not init or quick init the array.

I'm not at all familiar with windows, but I'd suggest booting into something that could then attempt to mount the disks read-only (like a linux live-cd) so that if something was still wrong, data would not be overwritten.

If your friend wants to try something on a different PERC 6/i, I'd be happy to lend the controller for testing.

Ian

Oct 23, 2014, 6:14:46 AM10/23/14
to santacr...@googlegroups.com
I have used R-Studio to read data off of a degraded RAID-5 created with a similar RAID controller after the controller stopped working. I have also recreated the array without initializing and it worked great. Both of these options will require you to know the exact configuration. At least with R-Studio it is easy to do trial and error.
Alan,

to...@schaferdesign.net - todd@GiveMeAPing.com

http://SchaferDesign.net - http://GiveMeAPing.com

You can also find me socially here: