Re: FreeSerif GNU font for Sanskrit

已查看 75 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

未读,
2013年9月11日 15:41:022013/9/11
收件人 Shree Devi Kumar、sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com、Vinodh Rajan、Sanskrit Team member、Steve White、Sunder Hattangadi
freesans/ freeserif fonts are woefully inadequate (see chrome bugs 1 and 2) for displaying devanAgarI. Hopefully the below will fix it.

Related: Is there a way to make chrome use the font I tell it to?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Shree Devi Kumar <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
​teve has sent me a development version of GNU freefonts for testing. Any bugs seen can be reported at https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=freefont

Steve had suggested setting language as sanskrit to apply sanskrit based glyphs, however I am not sure, how to do that in Excel.

Attached is a pdf created from an Excel spreadsheet which compares sanskrit2003 orthography with that of freeserif. I have alslo compared them with Chandas, Sahadeva and Kokila (Microsoft font).

Shree

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Sanskrit Team member <sans...@cheerful.com> wrote:
Steve,

If you can formulate your questions or difficulties or list of needs regarding information,
we may be able to pass to appropriate set of people possibly who are involved with it.
I am personally novice with this topic.

Does your conjunct drya and trya display well?

Thanks,
Nandu

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:12:06 +0200
From: Steve White <swh...@zipcon.net>
To: Shree Devi Kumar <shree...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: revision of Patanjali Yoga-Sutra

Hi Shree!

On 10.09.13, Shree Devi Kumar wrote:

> I had downloaded the fonts recently - during last couple of months. I could
> experiment/test further with the new version on windows7 and provide devanagari
> related feedback.

Recent snapshots are in the Google Drive directory which I have
shared with you.  You should receive a notification.

Of course, these snapshots are for your personal use only --
please don't distribute them.

Note that for Windows, the TTF builds work better.

Regarding Devanagari, there are several special OpenType features.
Special glyphs for Calcutta, Bombay, and Nepal are available as style
sets.
By specifying the language of the text as Sanskrit, many special
conjuncts are enabled.
By turning on the Old Ligatures feature, special conjuncts for Old
Hindi are enabled.

Attached find test files for the conjuncts, one for XeTeX, one for
Firefox.

I'm aware of several problems, including:
* Something has gone wrong with kerning, at least on Linux
	(in many situations, it appears "double-kerned")
* Malayalam is under heavy development, and is not usable.
* Sinhala has been only partly tested.

I'm very interested in any observations or suggestions.

Also find a test page, showing its capa

> Most HTML files on sanskritdocuments.org use the <PRE> tags and do not specify
> a font, hence the display is dependent on the font settings in the browser.
> That process was setup many years ago when unicode devanagari was in its
> infancy.
>
> You can see http://sanskritdocuments.org//tamil/
> and http://sanskritdocuments.org//tamil/mpt/VishnustuthiManjari-3-uni-sa.htm
> (this is a large file)
> where I have used css for formatting and used
> white-space: pre-line
> instead of <PRE>.
> See http://sanskritdocuments.org//tamil/tamil.css for the css used.
> This makes the HTML version of the text 'neat' - no <P> or <BR> tags.

This of course is your decision, and it is easy to change.

The <pre> tag approach works well if you're sure the lines are never longer
than the width of the display.  Otherwise, it's better to encode the
information of where paragraphs and lines end logically, and let the
software deal with presentation.

For the purposes, say, of e-books, the display may be really very small,
For them I use <pre> for very restricted set of situations.

Cheers!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

face [One of: FreeSerif/FreeSans/FreeMono]  weight [One of: normal/bold]
cons                     S       OH      H       cons S     OH    H     cons S       OH      H
कक                   क्??क्??क्??ञ??ञ्ञ्ञ्द??द्??द्??द्र्य
कत                   क्??क्??क्??ञ??ञ्ञ्ञ्द??द्??द्??द्व्य
कन                   क्??क्??क्??ट??ट्ट्ट्ध??ध्??ध्??ध्न
कम                   क्??क्??क्??ट??ट्ट्ट्न??न्??न्??न्न
कय                   क्??क्??क्??ट??ट्ट्ट्प??प्??प्??प्त
कर                   क्??क्??क्??ट??ट्ट्ट्प??प्??प्??प्न
कल                   क्??क्??क्??ठ??ठ्ठ्ठ्प??प्??प्??प्ल
कव                   क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्ब??ब्??ब्??ब्न
कतय                क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्ब??ब्??ब्??ब्ब
कतव                क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्ब??ब्??ब्??ब्व
कनय                क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्भ??भ्??भ्??भ्न
करय                क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्म??म्??म्??म्न
कवय                क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्म??म्??म्??म्ल
कतरय             क्??क्??क्??ड??ड्ड्ड्ल??ल्??ल्??ल्ल
घन                   घ्??घ्??घ्??ड??ड्ड्ड्व??व्??व्??व्न
ङक                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??ढ??ढ्ढ्ढ्व??व्??व्??व्व
ङख                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??त??त्त्त्श??श्??श्??श्च
ङग                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??त??त्त्त्श??श्??श्??श्न
ङघ                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्श??श्??श्??श्ल
ङङ                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्श??श्??श्??श्व
ङन                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ष??ष्??ष्??ष्ट
ङम                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ष??ष्??ष्??ष्ठ
ङय                   ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ष??ष्??ष्??ष्ट्य
ङकत                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ष??ष्??ष्??ष्ट्व
ङकय                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ष??ष्??ष्??ष्ट्र्य
ङकष                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्स??स्??स्??स्न
ङखय                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्स??स्??स्??स्र
ङगय                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ह??हृ  हृ  हृ
ङघय                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्ण
ङघर                ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्न
ङकतय             ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्म
ङकषव             ङ्??ङ्??ङ्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्य
चच                   च्??च्??च्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्र
चञ                   च्??च्??च्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्ल
छय                   छ्??छ्??छ्??द??द्द्द्ह??ह्??ह्??ह्व
&#x091c;&#x200c;&#x0930; ज्??ज्??ज्र

----- End forwarded message -----

Learn Sanskrit! Love Sanskrit!! Live Sanskrit!!!
http://www.sanskritdocuments.org

Vishvas /विश्वासः

sanskrit-ortho-diff-sanskrit2003.pdf

Manil Damle

未读,
2013年9月12日 02:23:392013/9/12
收件人 sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,
ITs great work you guys are doing,
i could not find how to install this font on my windows 8.
i got pdf but how can I use this font in paint. i am noob graphic designer.
thnnks,
manil

On 9/11/13, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> freesans/ freeserif fonts are woefully inadequate (see chrome bugs
> 1<https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=236042>and
> 2 <https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=96143>) for
> --

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

未读,
2013年9月13日 13:05:242013/9/13
收件人 Shree Devi Kumar、sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com、Sanskrit Team member、Steve White、Sunder Hattangadi

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Shree Devi Kumar <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
​teve has sent me a development version of GNU freefonts for testing. Any bugs seen can be reported at https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=freefont

Steve had suggested setting language as sanskrit to apply sanskrit based glyphs, however I am not sure, how to do that in Excel.

Fonts can also be tested on chrome by following a two step process.
a] Install the font.
b] Choose to use the font in Chrome: Go to settings, pick the font you just installed ( Search for "font" in settings, get to the Customize fonts button, set all choices to the font you test).

Steve - can you please send me this font?

I am happy that you are developing what may be a good set of Sanskrit fonts - hopefully it will be better than the current alternatives in having standard/ serif/ sans-serif / monospace variants..

Also, do you know where bugs in the FreeSans fonts may be reported?

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

未读,
2013年9月14日 12:55:192013/9/14
收件人 sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com