Re: Reply to your comment on Android app 'स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्थापक'

Aurobind Padiyath

Sep 26, 2017, 8:59:26 PM9/26/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
I have the following versions

GoldenDict ver 1.6.5(Paid)
Stardict Dictionary Updater 3.1.4
What is Happening is the Updater is running and downloading the data but the Dicdata Folder shows only few folders and they are remaining unzipped. Each time the Folders downloaded are different and the previous ones are missing. I tried it four times but not successfully could do the entire lot. Or even the selected ones.
I had no issues till the latest updater updation happened.

I am using OnePlus 3T on Andriod version 7.1.1
my ASUS Zenphone 2 has no issues and is working fine. But this phone is my standby and not with me always.

Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

On 26 September 2017 at 19:58, <nor...@google.com> wrote:
Google Play Logo
Hello,

We wanted to let you know that the developer of the Android app स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्थापक has replied to the Google Play review that you wrote for it on 25-Sep-2017.

स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्थापक
Your rating:★★★★

 Recent update is having error. I've tried 4 times burning data still it selects only random dictionaries not what I select

Developer response:
Which version do you have precisely? And what error?

Edit review

If you would like to discuss your issues in more detail with the developer, you can contact the developer directly by emailing विश्वासः तन्मित्राणि च or replying to this email.

Developer replies must adhere to the Posting Guidelines. If you have concerns about the developer's reply to your review, please contact Google.

If you don't want to receive further notifications when developers reply to your reviews, you may opt out.

Sincerely,
The Google Play Team

Dhaval Patel

Sep 26, 2017, 9:06:14 PM9/26/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
The reason behind your words 'random selection' can be this.
If the version on net and version on your system are the same, they are kept unchecked. If the version on server is newer, it is kept checked. This is to minimize data usage.

Chaitanya Lakkundi

Sep 27, 2017, 4:15:44 AM9/27/17
to sanskrit-programmers
Hari: Om.

I was facing the same problem in an earlier version. I manually untarred all the files and then reindexed in GoldenDict. That solved my problem.

Chaitanya

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 1:33:27 PM9/27/17
to sanskrit-programmers, ​ Aurobind Padiyath
namaste shrI aurobind,

Thanks for providing further details. Please find my responses and requests inline:

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Dhaval Patel <drdhav...@gmail.com> wrote:
The reason behind your words 'random selection' can be this.
If the version on net and version on your system are the same, they are kept unchecked. If the version on server is newer, it is kept checked. This is to minimize data usage.

​Yes, this is likely to be the case - To confirm, could you please scroll through all the way and make a careful note of what dictionaries are actually selected, and verify that only those are being downloaded and installed? ​

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 5:54 PM,
​​
Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have the following versions

GoldenDict ver 1.6.5(Paid)
Stardict Dictionary Updater 3.1.4
What is Happening is the Updater is running and downloading the data but the Dicdata Folder shows only few folders and they are remaining unzipped.

​Please tell me where the full path of the dictdata folder, the folder where the zipped files are being downloaded, and how you are checking it?​

Each time the Folders downloaded are different and the previous ones are missing.

​This is very weird​; I will need the logs to determine what's going on. What does the final screen say? Screen-capture picture would be helpful ( https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2811098?hl=en ) . When you press on "Quit" in the end, are you not automatically prompted to send the logs to the developer? This should happen in case you see "Failed on <some dicts>" message in the final screen.

[...]

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Aurobind Padiyath

Sep 27, 2017, 1:35:17 PM9/27/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding with attachments of screen shots.
Even though manually selected the result shows 0MB.
Also GoldenDic when ever updates all the data as dictionaries used by the app vanishes. At the home page with out dictionaries one can never manage then too. It's high time to ditch third party dictionaries app and build our own UI .
Aurobind Padiyath.
Screenshot_20170927-202608.png
Screenshot_20170927-202558.png
Screenshot_20170927-200938.png
Screenshot_20170927-200823.png
Screenshot_20170927-200730.png

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 1:54:21 PM9/27/17
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Forwarding with attachments of screen shots.

​Thanks, I just saw these screenshots.​ The one weird thing I notice is the number of dictionary URL-s - 197! On my phone, I see 97. But that would be a separate issue, where I would like you do a test: Fully uninstall and reinstall the dictionary installer app, and send me another screenshot..

Even though manually selected the result shows 0MB.

​What exactly do you mean by this? I know that some dictionaries have a size hint which says that the dict is less than 1MB, as in:

1https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/stardict-sanskrit/raw/master/sa-head/other-entries/tars/bopp__2017-06-22_07-06-22__0MB.tar.gz
Is that what you refer to? If so that's all right.

 From the screenshot, I ​see that 96 dictionaries have been successfully installed. And you should be able to use them.

Also GoldenDic when ever updates all the data as dictionaries used by the app vanishes.

​Do "re-scan dictionaries"​ and try your query again. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling goldendict (to clear all its tables and app data) to see if something changes.

At the home page with out dictionaries one can never manage then too. It's high time to ditch third party dictionaries app and build our own UI .

​True - We shouldnt have to each pay 5$ for a decent lookup app. I've published a good stardict java package in maven if anyone here has time to build this..​ I'll contribute as I find time.

Aurobind Padiyath.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 8:14:27 PM9/27/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers
namaste shrI aurobind; words are vague and leave much to the imagination. I cannot do much unless you send me the logs and screenshots while attending to each request and question I made in previous emails.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमस्ते।
I read that information and since the GoldenDic had an update the data which was downloaded earlier was also lost. But knowing your instruction I selected again the ones I wanted but the updater ignored my manual selection and have download of 0MB. Thereby not resulting the download of my required ones.
The other option for me will be to manually copy the ones I need from my other phone. But that will not solve the issue.
This updater is reading a resident log file and over riding even the manual selection.

Aurobind

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 8:58:24 PM9/27/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 5:45 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमस्ते।
I read the information that the Updater is skipping already installed dictionaries, but  the
​​
GoldenDic
​​
had an update the data which was downloaded earlier was lost.

I have no idea what ​"
GoldenDic had an update " means. You should explain this with different words and images.

Knowing your instructions, I manually selected again the lost ones I wanted but the updater ignored my manual selection and have download of 0 MB. Therefore  resulting the zero download of my required ones.
The other option for me will be to manually copy the dicdata folder I need from my other phone. But that will not solve the issue.
This updater may be reading a resident log file and overriding even the manual selection.

​No - This is not supposed to happen.

That's why I'd like you to send ​me screenshots showing that this is the case:
* Select ONE dictionary, take a screenshot (call it screenshot 1).
* Get to the final screen (where you'll see the Quit button). Take a screenshot (call it screenshot 2).
* Click on Quit. If there was any failure you will be prompted automatically to send me a prefilled email with an attached log.
* Then send me both screenshot 1 and screenshot 2.

​Then, install Total Commander​, go to the dictdata folder, take a additional screenshots and send that too.

I also uninstalled both GoldenDic and the Updater, restarted the phone. Reinstalled both and when I started the updater there was zero selection of dictionaries. This made me realize there has to be some residual log file which was not removed when I uninstalled these apps.

​Ok - this sounds reasonable.​ Installed dictionaries are indeed stored in a table which is not cleared when the app is removed. This is one thing I was wondering - thanks for checking.

So what is the solution for getting the required dictionaries. I do not know where the log files are located to share with you. I have no root access.
Regards,
Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 10:41:17 PM9/27/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमस्ते
As instructed by you I went and took stage by stage screenshots.
1. The two night mode screenshots are of the dictionaries in the dicdata folder you can see "MW_bi" is not in it so I went to the next stage for downloading the same
2. The updater screenshot welcome page
3. Where it says the data it has that it remember that my phone had 96 div previously downloaded, incidentally mw_bi is one of them.
4. I select only mw_bi dic for downloading

5. The Quit screen. It says successful. But in dicdata folder no change happened and on opening the was no reindexing prompt or mw_bi is not listed in the manage dictionaries list.

​We need to confirm this last point.

​The ​two file manager screenshots bear the time 6:34, while the app finished running at 6:37. Please send me the same file manager screenshots, now that the dictionary installer app has run - so that we may see if indeed as you seem to think the "success report" of the installer app is fake.​ Also, please send screenshots with Total Commander as requested so that we may eliminate the possibility of the file manager is not misleading.

Aurobind

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 10:45:17 PM9/27/17
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 7:40 PM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

​My suspicion is that you're not refreshing (eg by fully closing it by swiping it horizontally and reopening) your file manager once you switch back (from the installer app) to it to see if the newly installed mw dictionary has been extracted properly - thereby seeing the old folder list only.​

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 10:55:46 PM9/27/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've taken the latest file manager screenshot for dicdata and the same are enclosed. This is after the success report. You can see there was no addition of folders in it of "mw_bi".
The app may have given a fake status.

​But, we don't know from the screenshot whether or not you've refreshed the File Manager. As requested please send me screenshots from the different app I mentioned.​

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 27, 2017, 11:48:14 PM9/27/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers
Thanks for checking. I am completely stumped. I will add a button to send the logs even upon success. Once that's done, I will let you know.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here are the two screenshots using the new app which says 0/13 means no files were added from the first set of files.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 28, 2017, 2:00:59 AM9/28/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers
Added the button - please upgrade to 3.1.5, repeat the same procedure (adding 1 dict) and send me the log.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your patience and help

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Sep 28, 2017, 7:06:00 AM9/28/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers

For a better viewer, follow this link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twn.ebdic

This software is so good that I felt irritated when I didn't find a donate button!!

Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

श्रीमल्ललितया लालितः
ललितालालितः

Aurobind Padiyath

Sep 28, 2017, 7:13:53 AM9/28/17
to श्रीमल्ललितालालितः, sanskrit-programmers
I've downloaded the app but could not test it with out the dictionaries in the dicdata folder. I'm also having the paid GoldenDic app.

Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

Aurobind Padiyath

Sep 28, 2017, 7:38:37 AM9/28/17
to श्रीमल्ललितालालितः, sanskrit-programmers
There is a genuine problem in the latest Updater ,Android app 'स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्थापक' and if you had not done the update please hold the update until the issue is resolved. Viswas Vasuki is working on it Please him time to sort out the issue

Aurobind Padiyath

On 28 September 2017 at 16:43, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've downloaded the app but could not test it with out the dictionaries in the dicdata folder. I'm also having the paid GoldenDic app.

Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 28, 2017, 11:03:23 AM9/28/17
to sanskrit-programmers, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः
​​

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a genuine problem in the latest Updater ,Android app
​​
'स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्था
पक' and if you had not done the update please hold the update until the issue is resolved. Viswas Vasuki is working on it Please him time to sort out the issue

​I looked at the logs, from what I see the dict was extracted in  /storage/emulated/0/dictdata/apte-sa , ​but your screenshots show otherwise. I am still perplexed. One faint hope - some other program might be messing with that directory - try restarting the device and reinstalling a single dictionary, then check  /storage/emulated/0/dictdata/ (remember to hit the refresh button in Total Commander) .

​AFAIK, you're the only person with the issue - and lalitAlAlita's  recommendation pertains to a viewer, not the dict installer
 'स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्थापक'.​ Even if it were, please don't hesitate to bring up better solutions - I am not attached to some software just because I wrote it and would gladly dump it for a superior piece of work.

Aurobind Padiyath

On 28 September 2017 at 16:43, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've downloaded the app but could not test it with out the dictionaries in the dicdata folder. I'm also having the paid GoldenDic app.

​Why not?​

On Sep 28, 2017 4:35 PM, "श्रीमल्ललितालालितः" <lalitaalaalitah@lalitaalaalitah.com> wrote:

For a better viewer, follow this link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twn.ebdic

This software is so good that I felt irritated when I didn't find a donate button!!

​Thanks for letting us know! I'll add it do my list of viewers and perhaps try it out. Can it read stardict dict.dz file​s without extracting them as colordict does?

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 28, 2017, 11:19:00 AM9/28/17
to sanskrit-programmers, ​ Aurobind Padiyath, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:03 AM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
​​

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is a genuine problem in the latest Updater ,Android app
​​
'स्टार्डिक्ट-कोश-स्था
पक' and if you had not done the update please hold the update until the issue is resolved. Viswas Vasuki is working on it Please him time to sort out the issue

​I looked at the logs, from what I see the dict was extracted in  /storage/emulated/0/dictdata/apte-sa , ​but your screenshots show otherwise. I am still perplexed. One faint hope - some other program might be messing with that directory - try restarting the device and reinstalling a single dictionary, then check  /storage/emulated/0/dictdata/ (remember to hit the refresh button in Total Commander) .

​I take back the above! It turns out that I had introduced a bug - will fix it and update the installer software; and let you know. ​

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 28, 2017, 11:33:07 AM9/28/17
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:18 AM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

​Done with https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/stardict-dictionary-updater/commit/97cb83ddd3ab21fe86b3bcf9f196b66d05cfe24e ! Please upgrade to  3.1.6​ (should be out in an hour or so in the play store) and retry. I've confirmed that all's well on my phone.

Aurobind Padiyath

Sep 28, 2017, 11:34:55 AM9/28/17
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः
Okay thanks. I'll update when it is available and report.

Aurobind Padiyath

Sep 28, 2017, 12:47:39 PM9/28/17
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), श्रीमल्ललितालालितः, sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Now the updater is fine and has done the job. Thank you Viswas Vasuki for understanding and supporting.
Screenshot_20170928-221217.jpg