Re: Creating your own podcast : suggestion + tech tutorial

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 21, 2017, 12:20:58 AM10/21/17
BCC: podcast-bhaaratii, sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com>, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH <sams...@googlegroups.com>, bhAratIya-vidvat-pariShad भारतीय-विद्वत्परिषद् <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 9:18 PM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
BCC: 10 out of 11 people located in geographically diverse places who sprang to mind when I thought "who can make a podcast for hindus by hindus from diverse locations in diverse languages".

​W​hy podcasts?
​There are 3 major ways I and a HUGE number of people consume news​: Social media, TV/ YouTube and Audio Podcasts. I find that the last avenue offers less than what I would like in two areas of particular interest to me (hindu affairs and shaastra/ kaavya lecture-s). People often find it far more convenient to listen to audio podcasts (say while commuting or taking a walk) than sit in front of a computer or TV outside of work. This is especially true in mobile-first countries like India. Take a look at this old presentation https://www.slideshare.net/HubSpot/an-introduction-to-podcasting-47122931 for numbers.

Before wider broadcasting, ​I am targeting this initial mail specifically to the BCC-ed people ​because I feel they might be interested in filling this niche.

Publishing to a podcast stream is very easy
- see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpwDrXkW1zo . After some very simple initial setup (described in the video description, but let me know if you need any help) all one needs is a smartphone, an mp3 recording app, and an internet connection. That's it. Then your latest audio broadcasts will automatically be downloaded to the playlist of subscribers (oft on their mobile phones) - ready to be listened when the person has time (eg: commuting or exercising).

Role in education
​This is not just good for airing news and ​views - it is great for spreading shAstra-education, as I've already noted in a separate thread (a list here). This is true internationally - "Now, the 8,000 pound gorilla in the OpenCourseware space is Apple’s iTunes U. This platform offers over 500,000 courses from 1,000 universities that have been downloaded over 700 million times. Recently they also started moving into the K-12 space." [from this page]

​Thanks for your consideration and service.​

​नम ऊर्ध्वरेतसे।

​​
Vishvas /विश्वासः

Vishvas /विश्वासः

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jun 15, 2019, 11:46:39 PM6/15/19
BCC-ing the same set of people and groups as earlier.

Podcasting is now a LOT easier thanks to this service - https://anchor.fm/features#unlimitedHosting .
If such a service existed two years ago, I would probably have not gone to all that trouble writing podcasting software. I've personally tried it - recording, editing and publishing episodes using the app was very easy.

Please consider taking the plunge.