Re: Nagari input mechanism

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 13, 2013, 12:41:54 PM10/13/13
to Oliver Hellwig, sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, aruNaprasAda

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM, <hell...@gmx.de> wrote:

I’ve got a question: I discussed with Marcis Gasuns, an Indologist from Russia, about making the source of the DCS = the data and the php files open source. =>

Brilliant!! I am very happy!

1. Can you recommend an easy SVN mechanism, or something similar for joint working on the project?

Please don't use svn - that is so ancient. Please use git - I strongly recommend hosting it on github.com - that  is where there are many programmers - so branching will be easy.

2. Would you be interested to participate, as your time allows?

Certainly, as time allows. Let me add other interested people to the cc line.

Vishvas /विश्वासः

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 13, 2013, 5:29:32 PM10/13/13
to Oliver Hellwig, sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, aruNaprasAda
It would also be great if you could open source http://sanskrit.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/Chanda/HTML/ .. I have used it well over 300 times in the past few months to check my verses - it can benefit from improvements. I have tried contacting Anand mishra, but failed.

Mārcis Gasūns

Oct 14, 2013, 1:59:40 AM10/14/13
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, Oliver Hellwig, aruNaprasAda

On Monday, 14 October 2013 01:29:32 UTC+4, विश्वासो वासुकिजः wrote:
It would also be great if you could open source http://sanskrit.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/Chanda/HTML/ .. I have used it well over 300 times in the past few months to check my verses - it can benefit from improvements. I have tried contacting Anand mishra, but failed.

Mishra is still alive? I guess you should contact the other two German scholars involved.

https://github.com/ yes, it's what we should use to give new breath to DSC.

2. Would you be interested to participate, as your time allows?

Certainly, as time allows. Let me add other interested people to the cc line.

Vishvas, do you actually think there are people who would be willing to help? Or do you think there might be theoretically?

M.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 14, 2013, 12:26:30 PM10/14/13
On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Mārcis Gasūns <gas...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, 14 October 2013 01:29:32 UTC+4, विश्वासो वासुकिजः wrote:
It would also be great if you could open source http://sanskrit.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/Chanda/HTML/ .. I have used it well over 300 times in the past few months to check my verses - it can benefit from improvements. I have tried contacting Anand mishra, but failed.

Mishra is still alive? I guess you should contact the other two German scholars involved.

Oh? Something happened to Anand? Who are the other two German scholars?

2. Would you be interested to participate, as your time allows?

Certainly, as time allows. Let me add other interested people to the cc line.

Vishvas, do you actually think there are people who would be willing to help? Or do you think there might be theoretically?

I actually think there are people who will be interested in modifying the code from time to time whenever they find a feature (or lack thereof) that bothers them very much.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Dec 25, 2013, 4:01:03 PM12/25/13
to Oliver Hellwig, sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, aruNaprasAda
Dear Oliver,

Merry Newtonmas!

Regarding the metre-identifier mentioned below, you might be excited (as we are) to learn that Shreevatsa is well on the way ( http://1d.sanskritmetres.appspot.com/ ) towards making a much improved, open source version (starting from scratch). Arun ( https://github.com/sanskrit/vyakarana ) and dhaval ( http://www.lanover.com/lan/sanskrit/sandhi.html ) are, in the meantime, working on mechanically applying pANini's rules.

​We still, however, eagerly await open-sourcing of DCS which you were considering below~​