Re: Stardict Updater App Failure report.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 21, 2017, 11:25:54 AM10/21/17
to Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers
Thanks for the full report. (Saving this thread in sanskrit-programmers in case others run into similar problems in the future)

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 5:27 AM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have found out that the cleanup app is identifying the folder dicdata as a residual folder of ColorDic nd not part of GoldenDic. So th entire folder was deleted resulting in my repeat download of the dictionaries I wanted. Now even if I don't use ColorDic or any other app other than GoldenDic, I necessarily need to maintain ColorDic as one of my apps so that the dicadata folder is not identified as a residual folder.
For your info and any revision of File tree to link to an operational app so that this doesn't get repeated.
Aurobind Padiyath

Aurobind Padiyath

On 19 October 2017 at 06:59, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for the incomlete mail:..
Doubut no 2. Why do the updater return a result the no of dictionaries already downloaded when dicdata folder is absent or empty?

​The updater does not check the dictdata folder, but rather a separate table of dictionary versions.​ But perhaps it should.

Aurobind Padiyath

On 19 October 2017 at 06:27, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think have found out the issue. The previous day I had run Avast cleanuup and it had large Chache cleaning selected and since it did not show up the detials of induvidual files I executed the cleaning. This may, repeat, may have cleaned the folders in dicdata folder. Without expecting the cleaning up to remove resident folders, I was checking Goldendic for a word and found it had no dictionaries. So when I looked inside dicdata, I found it to be empty. Then I ran the updater it did not download any dictionary saying no fresh updaates available, this is the time I send the log file to you. Later I manually selcted the required dictionaries and brought back to working condition.
​Thanks for clarifying!​

My doubts:
1.Can a cleanup app mistake the folders in dicdata to be files of Cache?
​Possible​

Aurobind Padiyath

On 19 October 2017 at 00:27, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Based on the logs, I don't think that any dicts were deleted or installed. can you double check and run the app again?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
All data from dicdata missing

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Aurobind Padiyath

Oct 21, 2017, 11:27:12 AM10/21/17
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), sanskrit-programmers
You are welcome.

Shreevatsa R

Oct 23, 2017, 5:49:13 PM10/23/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Aurobind Padiyath
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 8:25 AM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 5:27 AM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 19 October 2017 at 06:59, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
​The updater does not check the dictdata folder, but rather a separate table of dictionary versions.​ But perhaps it should.

This would be the right fix of course, because other users may run into something similar. Better not to trust the <separate table> entirely. They say cache invalidation is one of the hardest things in computer science. :-)