sanskrit software wiki ----- using jekyll based content management system

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jun 2, 2018, 1:39:19 AM6/2/18
to sanskrit-programmers
The below is a dump from https://sanskrit-coders.github.io/site/posts/site-moved.html .​

Sanskrit software catalog site moved.

/

Sanskrit software catalog site moved.

The past

I’d once created https://sites.google.com/site/sanskritcode/ mainly to catalogue sanskrit software and services out there. Many people found it useful. But it had the following drawbacks:

  • I hoped that it would attract contributions and corrections, but it did not happen. So links and content easily went stale.
  • Besides, that site relied on the beneficence of Google for its availability - and data was not easily exportable.

Moving to a Jekyll based github-wiki

Now I’ve moved all the content to https://sanskrit-coders.github.io/site/, which uses the Jekyll static site generator and a fork of the documentation-theme-jekyll theme. Turning the HTML to markdown required creating google-sheets-to-markdown.

Advantages

  • Anyone can use the convenient “Edit me” button to contribute changes via the github pull request.
  • Whether or not this attracts more contributions (I suspect it won’t), atleast the data is freed from Google so that anyone can easily copy and host it.
  • Folks can use Disqus tool at the bottom to comment on the pages as well!

Comments

Feel free to use this Jekyll theme/ setup for your own sites!

Shreevatsa R

Jun 2, 2018, 6:59:02 AM6/2/18
to sanskrit-programmers
Great work! I hope this increases contributions too…
(BTW something counterintuitive that I learned about recently: https://felixge.de/2013/03/11/the-pull-request-hack.html )

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 10:39 PM विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please check whether there's some "official" (will be understood by Google Search) way to mark this migration — often, most of the hits to a certain page/site on the internet is via Google Search; i.e. the old page has some "Google Search SEO juice" and it would be good to make sure it gets "transferred" to the new site. E.g. if it's possible to set up a http redirect that may do it, without the old site having to be deleted. (In any case I see that the old site has an "OK, got it" banner, so it's not crucial to delete it quickly IMO. At minimum it may be good to link to the new page from the old (if outright redirection is not possible/easy), and wait a few days for Google search indexing to pick up the connection.)

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 22, 2018, 2:15:36 AM9/22/18
to sanskrit-programmers
PS: I've created and distributed a theme so as to be able to create similar looking sites in a jiffy - An extract from https://sanskrit-coders.github.io/sanskrit-documentation-theme/README.html follows:

Intro

Up↑

This is the “Sanskrit” collaborative documentation theme for use with the Jekyll static website generator.

Some notable things you get with this theme (in decreasing order of interest):

  • A collapsible “accordion” sidebar
  • A collapsible “accordion” table-of-contents for each page.
  • A layout which automatically
  • An “Edit me” link on top of each page.
  • Search engine optimization and webmaster stuff - which you would use with various search engines.
  • Google custom search configuration
  • Disqus for comments.
  • Google analytics configuration
  • Special formatting consideration for fonts which need to be displayed bigger (eg: Devanagari for sanskrit.)
  • the usual Jekyll blog.
    • Post tag support

Vishvas /विश्वासः

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 5, 2019, 5:29:20 PM2/5/19
to sanskrit-programmers
Shifted to Hugo - which is many times faster and easier to iterate over offline.

Site also has been moved up a level  -
http://sanskrit-coders.github.io .
Updated group description to match.

A Hugo version of the "sanskrit documentation theme" with many of the features described below is available (and used in this example) - https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/sanskrit-documentation-theme-hugo

Shreevatsa R

Feb 6, 2019, 3:41:31 AM2/6/19
to sanskrit-programmers
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:29 PM विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shifted to Hugo - which is many times faster and easier to iterate over offline.

Just curious: does this mean you have to push the generated HTML to GitHub, or does the repo still contain (only) the markdown (or whatever) source?

Shreevatsa R

Feb 6, 2019, 3:48:29 AM2/6/19
to sanskrit-programmers
Nevermind, found the answer at https://help.github.com/articles/using-a-static-site-generator-other-than-jekyll/ — requires pushing the generating files to GitHub. I was confused because when I looked at https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/sanskrit-coders.github.io I didn't see the static files; then I realized the default branch it was showing was “hugo-source” while it's getting pushed to https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/sanskrit-coders.github.io/tree/master

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 6, 2019, 1:22:08 PM2/6/19
to sanskrit-programmers
Pushes to hugo-source trigger builds and automatically deployment of the generated html to the master branch - thanks to the wercker service (though travis-ci is an alternative).

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jun 26, 2022, 12:12:04 AM6/26/22
to sanskrit-programmers
(Could not find a satisfactory old thread for this, so forking off one )