Has anyone used Prolog for Sanskrit?

Pradyumna Achar

Oct 24, 2015, 9:51:04 AM10/24/15
to sanskrit-programmers
नमस्ते ।
I was wondering if anyone has used prolog? Is it feasible to express अष्टाध्यायी in prolog?

भवदीयः
प्रद्युम्न:

सीताराम

Oct 25, 2015, 3:11:50 PM10/25/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
What is Prolog? and what are the benefits ?

धन्यवाद: - राम

Shreevatsa R

Oct 25, 2015, 10:39:14 PM10/25/15
to sanskrit-programmers
On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:11 PM, सीताराम <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
What is Prolog? and what are the benefits ?

Prolog is a programming language that is especially suited for logic-related domains. (E.g. working with a system of implications or deductions, etc.)
You can read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolog for instance.
Or look at http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Simple and for a few problems there, compare the Prolog implementation with that of other languages.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 6:51 AM, Pradyumna Achar <pradyum...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमस्ते ।
I was wondering if anyone has used prolog?

I have used Prolog when I learned it as part of a course in college, for the usual programming stuff.

Is it feasible to express अष्टाध्यायी in prolog?

Prolog is Turing-complete, so in principle anything that can be expressed in any other language can be expressed in Prolog as well.

The question is whether the tool (Prolog in this case) is well suited for the problem's domain.
My initial thoughts are: although the Ashtadhyayi's system is to some extent a set of implications (if situation has property X, do Y), it is more complex than being merely a logical system (there are options, the context can include the history of operations performed, etc). So programming in a language strongly tied to one paradigm (whether logic programming like Prolog, functional programming like Haskell, or object-oriented programming like Java) is usually going to involve some effort in casting your problem/solution into that paradigm (e.g. how to express X as logic, or fit everything into an appropriate object hierarchy).

akshaysr...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2015, 1:20:32 PM11/1/15
to sanskrit-programmers
नमस्ते,
I don't know if modern flavours of Prolog have Unicode support. Common Lisp on the other
hand does. There exist Prolog engines available for use as DSLs within the language.

I'm trying to work through लघुसिद्धान्तकौमुदी while trying my hand at a implementation in CL.

-अक्षय