An early sanskrit translation utility?

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jan 30, 2018, 11:44:36 PM1/30/18
to sanskrit-programmers, mrra...@gmail.com, nandU abhya~Nkara
अकस्माद् https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/setu/ इति क्षेत्रम् प्राप्याश्चर्यचकितो ऽभवम्। तत्र दत्तं तन्त्रांशं कश्चित् प्रयुज्य स्वाभिप्रायं वदति चेद् उपकृता भवेम।

अस्यैव लेखकस्य वैज्ञानिकलेखनानि https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/sanskritforall/ रोचकाणि।

Vishvas /विश्वासः

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jan 31, 2018, 10:19:22 AM1/31/18
to Sanskrit Team member, sanskrit-programmers, ShreeDevi Kumar
​+ sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com> to inform them.​

कालाय तस्मै नमः! Very sad to hear.
​ Such luminaries mostly die out more or less in isolation among us - or atleast they used to - hopefully internet will change things.

I wonder if he published his source code somewhere.​

Namaste Vishvas,

I am glad you came across M.R.Rao's subsite in https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/
He passed away a few years ago (10+?) .
You can see his start with blogging http://satyayugam.blogspot.com/ in 2008
I have linked his old .tar files if they are of any use to you.
Unfortunately, I did not install them to verify.  Some portions might be old or missing.
No one to contact.

Nandu

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 9:44 PM
From: "विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)" <vishvas...@gmail.com>
To: sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-programmers@googlegroups.com>
Cc: mrra...@gmail.com, "nandU abhya~Nkara" <sans...@cheerful.com>
Subject: An early sanskrit translation utility?

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jan 31, 2018, 10:52:11 AM1/31/18
to Sanskrit Team member, sanskrit-programmers, prabhat, ShreeDevi Kumar

More info from sanskrit@cheerful, and +prabhaat, who may have more info -

On 08/29/2017, 3:42 PM Avinash Chopde <avi...@aczoom.com> wrote:

    I tried multiple unzip programs on it - gunzip, 7-zip (which can handle multiple formats), xunz, all failed.

    It is recognized as gzip:
    setubin-1.20.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, was "setubin-1.20.tar", from Unix, last modified: Thu Oct 27 01:54:45 2005

    But while it can get that info, rest of file is corrupted, so it fails to extract the data.
    gunzip says:
    gzip: setubin-1.20.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

    I also could not find any Google search hits on that file, so no other sources for it to try.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 7:19 AM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
​+ sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-programmers@googlegroups.com> to inform them.​

prabhat

Jan 31, 2018, 10:55:46 AM1/31/18
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Sanskrit Team member, sanskrit-programmers, ShreeDevi Kumar
Thanks for sharing/looping-in.
I tried this also. But didn't work. Sector loss in file. Can't be recovered.
I suggested a few luminaries to store their code on github or bitbucket. But sadly they do not understand that their work can live longer than them.

Regards

Prabhat Kumar Singh

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Jan 31, 2018, 11:50:01 AM1/31/18
to prabhat, Sanskrit Team member, sanskrit-programmers, ShreeDevi Kumar
On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 7:55 AM, prabhat <prab...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for sharing/looping-in.
I tried this also. But didn't work. Sector loss in file. Can't be recovered.
​ok, thanks for the info!

I suggested a few luminaries to store their code on github or bitbucket. But sadly they do not understand that their work can live longer than them.

​For general awareness (as to what's out there, closed or open source),​ could you name these gentlemen and their projects?

And about your recent ML project which you advertised here - is it open source somewhere?

Pradyumna Achar

Feb 1, 2018, 9:25:07 AM2/1/18
to sanskrit-programmers
That's strange; I didn't see any problem in extracting the tarball (setubin-1.10.tar). It contains the program's binaries and associated files. [I tried it in Linux]
As the page mentions, it depends on a bunch of libraries, including a specific version of berkeley-db and qt. Those tarballs were fine, too (setu-1.00-b.tar.tar and setu-1.00-c.tar.tar).

However, it turns out that (a) The program is compiled for i386, and (b) It depends on a whole lot of other things that the author didn't mention (probably because they were available by default in the Linux version that he noted in a README file - PCQLinux 2005)

I tried installing i386 compatibility packages in my linux, and it loaded all right but exited with a segmentation fault.

Probably the easiest way to make this usable would be this:
If one of us has a copy of PCQLinux 2005 (CD or DVD), we could create a VM out of it, and run this program in it using the three tars supplied. If it runs fine, the VM can be exported as an appliance for others to use (.ova / .ovf), after trimming down everything else in that Linux system that's not necessary to run this program and shrinking the disk.

Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 9:44 PM
From: "विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)" <vishvas...@gmail.com>
To: sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com>

Cc: mrra...@gmail.com, "nandU abhya~Nkara" <sans...@cheerful.com>
अकस्माद् https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/setu/ इति क्षेत्रम् प्राप्याश्चर्यचकितो ऽभवम्। तत्र दत्तं तन्त्रांशं कश्चित् प्रयुज्य स्वाभिप्रायं वदति चेद् उपकृता भवेम।

अस्यैव लेखकस्य वैज्ञानिकलेखनानि https://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/sanskritforall/ रोचकाणि।

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Vishvas /विश्वासः

prabhat

Feb 3, 2018, 3:03:59 AM2/3/18
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Sanskrit Team member, sanskrit-programmers, ShreeDevi Kumar
I do not have a ready list of projects.
For my work is available on bitbucket and available for collaboration. I get a month of free time after every project(usually 3/4 months) so become active in that 1 month.
Didn't do advertising, Sir. Wanted to find collaborators. No money inforlved

Namo Namah

Prabhat Kumar Singh

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 3, 2018, 9:49:16 AM2/3/18
to sanskrit-programmers, Sanskrit Team member, ShreeDevi Kumar
Ok ~ where on bitbucket - I'm curious to have a look (so might others here)