Publishing sanscript.js to bower and npm

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Aug 4, 2017, 3:44:26 PM8/4/17
to Shree Devi Kumar, sanskrit-programmers, Arun Prasad
​​namaste shrIdevI,

https://github.com/Shreeshrii/sanscript.js/​ seems to have improved upon arun's original copy. Given that aruN is currently inactive, would you mind publishing the sanscript.js package to bower and npm? This would help js projects (such as a polymer project I'm currently working on, which uses bower) to smoothly setup and use it as a dependency.

I'd have opened a github issue, but that tab seems to be missing (<-- Good idea to fix it as well). Guides are here:

(I did a similar thing for aruN's python sanscript when I published it to pip as part of the indic-transliteration package.)

​PS: If you like​ you're welcome to transfer the repo to https://github.com/orgs/sanskrit-coders and manage it there.

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Arun

Aug 4, 2017, 6:41:13 PM8/4/17
to Shree Devi Kumar, sanskrit-programmers, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)
I see I have quite a few pending notifications on GitHub! Lovely to see the great work being done there, and sorry for my delay.

I think it is easiest to make Shreeshrii an owner of sanskrit/sanscript.js. Will resolve this and other pending notifications within the next day.

Arun

ShreeDevi Kumar

Aug 4, 2017, 11:39:47 PM8/4/17
to Arun, sanskrit-programmers, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)
I have only made some changes to mapping, added schemes. I do not know enough javascript to take ownership.

ShreeDevi

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Aug 5, 2017, 12:09:26 AM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Arun
I feel you're too modest :-) But all right then, I'll be happy to help manage it aruNa.

Michael Bykov

Aug 5, 2017, 5:10:44 AM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
Namaste,

please look also my https://github.com/mbykov/salita

This is a more simple utility, but it was enough for my purposes. I want to continue the development when I will have some free time.

Vishvas /विश्वासः

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Aug 5, 2017, 11:40:59 AM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, vikram...@gmail.com, Michael Bykov, Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
​​

Namaste,

please look also my https://github.com/mbykov/salita

This is a more simple utility, but it was enough for my purposes. I want to continue the development when I will have some free time.

​Nice, Michael! It's limited, but good that it is published on npm. I think that we (including you) should join forces​ and advance one package, and sanscript is the most advanced currently. That will be most efficient and useful.

I saw several interesting packages at https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=sanskrit , including stemmers, splitters . Among them I noticed the below:

+ vikram Iyer, who'd published https://www.npmjs.com/package/sanscript 2 years ago - Could you please arrange it so that Arun and certain authorized people can modify and update https://www.npmjs.com/package/sanscript ? (Please see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sanskrit-programmers/iDHAtIZPA2k for context).

Vikram Bhaskaran

Aug 5, 2017, 11:53:51 AM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Michael Bykov, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
Namaste,

          I was the one who published sanscript.js to npm years ago. Whom do I need to add to authorise and may I know what are the updates planned to be added.

Regards,

Vikram

Prashant Tiwari

Aug 5, 2017, 1:43:10 PM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Michael Bykov, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
I have used sanscript in some of my projects and wouldn't mind helping out too. I found a few bugs (that I don't immediately recall) that I could try fixing. Also, I think it might be a good time to update it to use ES6 modules — or perhaps re-write in TypeScript while we are there so that type definitions will come along for free. The last time I used sanscript in an (unfinished) project, I had to make some up myself. :)

-Prashant

Shreevatsa R

Aug 5, 2017, 1:53:15 PM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Michael Bykov, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
This may also be a good time to step back a bit and write a spec / some tests for what an indic transliteration library or function is supposed to do.

People will continue to write new transliteration libraries for their favourite languages, and when they do it would be useful to have a common set of test cases that we can compare against, for users to see how complete and bugfree the library is, or for the developer to see what remains to do.

-Prashant

Prashant Tiwari

Aug 5, 2017, 2:04:41 PM8/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Michael Bykov, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
Agree, we might try a test-first rewrite beginning with sanscript itself so it might be easier to adapt it to Go/Swift, which I've been wanting to do.

I will give this a shot myself and get back when I have something going.

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 at 21:23, Vikram Bhaskaran <vikram...@gmail.com> wrote:
Namaste,

          I was the one who published sanscript.js to npm years ago. Whom do I need to add to authorise and may I know what are the updates planned to be added.

Regards,

Vikram

On 6 Aug 2017, 1:40 AM +1000, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com>, wrote:

​​

[...]

Michael Bykov

Aug 5, 2017, 2:23:15 PM8/5/17
to Prashant Tiwari, sanskrit-programmers, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
Agree, we might try a test-first rewrite beginning with sanscript itself so it might be easier to adapt it to Go/Swift, which I've been wanting to do.

I will give this a shot myself and get back when I have something going.

I agree also, test are what I missed most. I have some hand-made, look

https://github.com/mbykov/salita/blob/master/test/node/salita.js (Now it is deprecated, of course)

If there was a good reliable set of tests, then writing a module (or several modules) would be a matter of technique.

The same is true for other utilities. Why do people who know the language, consider this a secondary task. But this is half of the case

[...]

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Aug 5, 2017, 2:29:47 PM8/5/17
to Vikram Bhaskaran, sanskrit-programmers, Michael Bykov, Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
namaste vikram,

The following need to be authorized:
* aruN, the original author of sanscript, if he creates or reveals his npm account
https://www.npmjs.com/org/sanskrit-coders, an organization I just created at npm, so that we can smoothly manage future updates.

As to the updates: shree devi has made some changes over the years, which arun will examine and accept, prashant says he has found a few bugs. Other than that, of course, one cannot predict how we'll develop it further.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Aug 5, 2017, 5:16:48 PM8/5/17
to Arun, Vikram Bhaskaran विक्रमः संस्कृतसाङ्गणकः, sanskrit-programmers

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 11:29 AM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
namaste vikram,

The following need to be authorized:
* aruN, the original author of
​​
sanscript, if he creates or reveals his npm account

Just created an account with username `akprasad`.

​Thanks aruN​ - +vikram and list - added this account (and those of some others in this thread) to https://www.npmjs.com/org/sanskrit-coders , so we should be able to manage the
sanscript distribution using it.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Dec 26, 2018, 11:26:55 PM12/26/18
to Vikram Bhaskaran, sanskrit-programmers, Michael Bykov, Shree Devi Kumar, Arun Prasad
Since I needed the module as a managed dependency for the https://ashtadhyayi.github.io/ui/ project, I just updated the tests, info and code at the official repository ( https://github.com/sanskrit/sanscript.js )
https://www.npmjs.com/package/@sanskrit-coders/sanscript

Vikram's packaging was a great reference in doing the above.