Looking for "old/northern/calcutta/nirnaya-sAgara style" devanagari fonts

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Apr 14, 2015, 9:22:00 PM4/14/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, Nityanand Misra
Hi!

​I am looking for "old/northern/calcutta/nirnaya-sAgara style" devanagari fonts​ (I am already aware of sahadeva, uttara and Sanskrit 2003), which are available under licenses that *don't* restrict commercial use. (GNU GPL is fine.)

I hasten to clarify that I am not making any money out of it directly, rather this requirement is because it will be used in a project within a for-profit corporation to produce a high-impact product that will benefit devanAgarI [ie sanskrit] users. I am excited about its potential, and am helping that team as I can.

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Mārcis Gasūns

Apr 15, 2015, 4:45:22 PM4/15/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, nmi...@gmail.com
Which of these two will do?
Schlegel-Varnamala-A4.gif
Uenger-Varnamala-A4.jpg

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Apr 15, 2015, 4:56:07 PM4/15/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, Nityanand Misra
Thanks, Marcis! For this project we prefer letters that actually look like typefaces used in books published in the past 200 years. So, the one named "Uenger" seems interesting. Where do I get it?

(PS: I am checking to see if I can use www.svayambhava.org as well. )

Mārcis Gasūns

Apr 17, 2015, 2:45:40 PM4/17/15

On Wednesday, 15 April 2015 23:56:07 UTC+3, विश्वासो वासुकिजः wrote:
Thanks, Marcis! For this project we prefer letters that actually look like typefaces used in books published in the past 200 years.
In this answer you admitted three mistakes.

1) Schlegel's font is used in the biggest Sanskrit dictionary in the world http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/PWGScan/2013/web/webtc/servepdf.php?page=3-0677
The font was made in 1821, so it's "old". In modern literature (1920) Uengern is called new, when Schlegel is old.

So, the one named "Uenger" seems interesting. Where do I get it?
http://www.sanskritweb.net/itrans/index.html#S99FONTS - that's the previous version of the font, that was stolen from Stiehl from my collection. If needed for InDesign, let me know.

(PS: I am checking to see if I can use www.svayambhava.org as well. )
You can not use it. It's invented. It has never been used. It's a product of pure imagination. Mihas told me that personally when I met him in Moscow, so the answer is - you can not.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Apr 17, 2015, 4:31:58 PM4/17/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, Nityanand Misra
1) Schlegel's font is used in the biggest Sanskrit dictionary in the world http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/PWGScan/2013/web/webtc/servepdf.php?page=3-0677
The font was made in 1821, so it's "old". In modern literature (1920) Uengern is called new, when Schlegel is old.
​​Thank you! That was quite informative!​

So, the one named "Uenger" seems interesting. Where do I get it?
http://www.sanskritweb.net/itrans/index.html#S99FONTS - that's the previous version of the font, that was stolen from Stiehl from my collection. If needed for InDesign, let me know.
​Thanks for pointing it out!​

(PS: I am checking to see if I can use www.svayambhava.org as well. )
You can not use it. It's invented. It has never been used. It's a product of pure imagination. Mihas told me that personally when I met him in Moscow, so the answer is - you can not.

​What matters is whether it *looks* like typefaces used in the past, though. What I meant about "checking" was to see if Mihas is willing to change the license to drop the "non-commercial" part. (Haven't heard back at all, though.)

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Apr 17, 2015, 4:57:16 PM4/17/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, Nityanand Misra
​​

So, the one named "Uenger" seems interesting. Where do I get it?
http://www.sanskritweb.net/itrans/index.html#S99FONTS - that's the previous version of the font, that was stolen from Stiehl from my collection. If needed for InDesign, let me know.
​Thanks for pointing it out!​

Thanksfully, ​SantipurOT.zip. seems to be unicode, while ​Gudakesa 99 and Santipur 99 don't seem to be Unicode at all.

Mārcis Gasūns

Apr 19, 2015, 12:35:14 AM4/19/15
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com, nmi...@gmail.com
Standard 99 was invented before Unicode.