Airtable: better spreadsheet/ db hosting.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Mar 4, 2018, 12:47:33 AM3/4/18
to sanskrit-programmers, अनन्तः anantaH पाणिनीयपाठी
I've been using Google spreadsheets for several projects - recently I spent much time looking for an alternative system which would allow me to have a db with is
- Easy editing and viewing online. Google spreadsheets is quite clumsy with long multiline text fields.
- Good querying and filtering. Must accommodate fields with multiple values.
- Free to use for my purposes.
- Cloud /Backed up data.
- Private access
- Some Version control.

After considering many options (yaml file + private bitbucket repo + custom html UI, wiki, FastoNoSQL with unqlite, Private wikibase instance, Google datastore free quota, mongo hosted free quota), I stumbled on a evernote forum thread by shrI +anant , which led me to Airtable. I found it to be much better and adequate for my needs. It also has some Google Drive integration (ie the db shows up, but is not stored there).

​The free quota has ​the following features:

​Here is a referral link if it pleases you - https://airtable.com/invite/r/OHGHGL9T  (not that I have any plans to go paid, but still).​

​And if you have other favourites, let us know.​

Vishvas /विश्वासः