Local File Searching Speed (in GRETIL .zip)

Mārcis Gasūns

Oct 24, 2013, 3:11:39 AM10/24/13
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

  Do you use GREP for search? It is quick and can search hundreds of thousands of shlokas just in seconds.

1) same GREP search on his was finished in just 20 seconds, while mine took almost 2 minutes.
2)  attributed it to having converted most of his files to have Unix line breaks.  [I have now converted all of the linebreaks to Unix, and it is now even faster. ]
3) converted everything to have the ending .txt
4) On my Linux machine, a command-line grep seems to rarely take more than about 1 and a quarter seconds. [I found many files whose encoding was garbled and had to be changed, so I also made about a hundred more files searchable. Now the command line GREP returns results in a few seconds, and BBEdit around 15 seconds.]
5) I have tried duplicate detecting programs, but many of these files differ only in that someone went through and converted / to |. I don’t know why they kept both versions, but the automated duplicate finders have a hard time finding things like that. Some files also have an extra blank line in between every line of text, the apparent result of a batch attempt to change all the line break types. These also are not easily detectable.

Consider searching in GRETIL's file locally. What is your experience?