Major stardict dictionary updates: Latin alphabet lookup.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 21, 2016, 2:29:34 AM2/21/16
to sanskrit-programmers, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH
Several sanskrit devanAgarI dictionaries released in the past have been updated to include latin keys. So, earlier you could search भानु and get results in several dictionaries, and you needed separate dictionary files to lookup "bhaanu". No more - every sanskrit dictionary with a devanAgarI key now also has a latin key, so, several old dictionaries are now rendered redundant and deprecated. You are welcome to delete them from your devices and reinstall dictionaries (eg: using scripts suggested here https://sites.google.com/site/sanskritcode/dictionaries ).

Vishvas /विश्वासः

dhaval patel

Feb 21, 2016, 10:42:11 AM2/21/16
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com

Majority of dictionaries / grammar commentaries available everywhere seem to be derived from Mr. Ajit Krishnan's site. I am not sure. But wouldn't it be great if the dictionary corrections are managed centrally and all beneficiaries just sync? Cologne dictionaries follow that method.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 21, 2016, 12:39:37 PM2/21/16
to sanskrit-programmers
Indeed, all this work is in a broader sense a derivative of ajita's pioneering efforts.

If you see here https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/stardict-sanskrit/tree/master/sa-head , the following set of grammar dictionaries: { laghu-kaumudi nyasa balamanorama tattvabodhini kashika} are indeed derived from ajita's dictionaries (plus some corrections). The rest of the dictionaries are ultimately derived from other sources (sometimes via ajita's copies), most prominently IITS Koeln here.

Earlier, I used to make some corrections in my copy of ajita's adaptation of IITS Koeln dictionaries, but I've given up on that as being suboptimal - I've begun to simply write scripts to convert the latest IITS Koeln dictionary to the appropriate format (see scripts under kalpadruma-sa). The grammar dictionaries have not benefited from any correction - I see some corrections in sanskritdocuments.org/learning_tools/ashtadhyayi/vyakhya/6/6.3.37.htm , but I don't have a setup to derive the dictionary directly from there.

For the rest, there is often no authoritative source (other than what I myself maintain), so I effectively act as the central source.

So, yes, I agree with your point that " dictionary corrections are managed centrally and all beneficiaries just sync" is the way to go.