Stardict dict updater updates

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 24, 2017, 2:20:08 PM9/24/17
to संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH, sanskrit-programmers
नवरात्रिशुभाशयाः! May the devI minervA bring you all good things.

Stardict dict updater (sanskritdictionaryupdater) has gone through several imrpovements which allow it to communicate extraction progress better and deal with many more compressed file formats (beyond the tar.gz files). Further, new dictionary indices (mostly English) have been added (dictionaryIndices.md). From the sanskrit perspective, I am most excited about the Latin dicts and the AHD_Indo-European_and_Semitic_Roots_Supplement . Use and contribute if you like!

Vishvas /विश्वासः

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 25, 2017, 6:35:41 PM10/25/17
to Sathyadev Uppala, sanskrit-programmers, dhaval patel
+ sanskrit-programmers and dhaval
namaste -

Since the files are there, we can conclude that the installer app is not at fault. Just switch to using ebdic and remove goldendict and colordict. (that's what I did.)

Regarding kalpadruma - searching for prAtipadika-s is currently broken ( please see https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/stardict-sanskrit/issues/65 ) and shrI dhaval intends to fix it (@dhaval - any forecast as to when it might be?).

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Sathyadev Uppala <sat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Log file attached.

Installed ebdic. The same result. But since this app is more feature rich, using one of the options I was able to browse the individual dictionaries - Amara, Kalpadruma, Vachaspatyam. So the files exist.

But discovered something else.
On a lark I tried searching in GoldenDict by inputting the search word in devanagari. By typing राम I was able to retrieve entry from Vachaspatyam and by typing रामः got a result from Kalpadruma and by typing raama (in english) got an entry from Amara. I don't remember doing this multi-step search before. I used to be able to type in english and retrieve entries from all dictionaries. Something has changed, I am not sure what.

-Sathya

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 1:38 PM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for reporting. Please try the following:

* Use the latest version of star dict updater to install all the dictionaries. In the final screen you should see a button to send me the logs - please do so. Without logs it is hard to figure out what's going on.
* Try using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twn.ebdic&hl=en and see what dictionaries you get when you search for "raama".
* Let me know the results.

(I am tracking the sdcard issue separately here: https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/stardict-dictionary-updater/issues/14 )

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Sathyadev Uppala <sat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I recently (10/24)  updated the dictionary files on my phone using Starr dict updater. I already had Kalpadruma and Vachaspatyam from previous downloads but updated those files anyways along with a few new ones  like Abhyankar's Sanskrit Grammer dictionary.  Since the update when I use the GoldenDict dictionary app I do not see any entries from Kalpadruma, Vachaspatyam or Abhyankar's Sanskrit Grammer dictionary. But I do see entries from Apte or Amara. I tried searching for several words like for example raama and would have expected to see results from Kalpadruma or Vachaspatyam. I tried kta should have seen something from Abhyankar.

I am using an Samsung Edge 7 with Android 7.0 on it. Will appreciate your help in this.

FYI. I have tried a couple of other things.

1) I checked the folders under dictdata. All the dictionary files were present.
2) I used a different app - ColorDict, Still no difference.
3) I deleted all the dictionaries using the interface in GoldenDict, re-downloaded with Star Dict Updater. No change.
4) I deleted everything using delete function from file commander and then re-downloaded. No change,
5) I deleted all dictionary files and downloaded only Kalpadruma. Still no results.

In all instances after download of dictionary files the app does ask for indexing the dictionary files and I did click proceed.

On a separate note the start dict updater though it says will place the files on sdcard actually places the files in the phone internal storage. Don't see any option to fix this. And yes I do have a functioning SD card (use it store music for example).

Thanks,
Sathya

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Sathyadev Uppala

Oct 26, 2017, 11:51:39 AM10/26/17
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), sanskrit-programmers, dhaval patel

Namaste,

Thank you for your help. Yes the files are there and are readable. That is clear. So it is not an issue with installer for sure.

I get that the prAtipadika search for Kalpadruma is broken. But something else also changed in the dictionary files I used to be able to search using vachaspatyam and kalpadruma by typing in english. Now for Amara I have to type in English (Devanagari doesn't retrieve any results) and for the other two type in devanagari. So search is lot more steps. Ideal would be a single search in devanagari / english and get all the entries. Clearly this is not an installer issue. But I am not sure who to convey the feature request.

Thanks,
-Sathya

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 26, 2017, 5:00:46 PM10/26/17
to Sathyadev Uppala, sanskrit-programmers, dhaval patel
namaste shrI satya,

Thanks for your persistence. I isolated the bug to changes made in the dictionary installer 27 days ago (syn files were not being extracted) - nothing to do with shrI dhval's work item. I fixed the problem in 3.2.2. Please update the app, reinstall dictionaries, and rescan all dictionaries in your app. Since it seems that I'm quite error-prone, one of these days I should start writing tests :-)

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 26, 2017, 5:07:31 PM10/26/17
to Sathyadev Uppala, ​ Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers, dhaval patel
+aurobind

namaste shrI aurobind - the below bug probably affects you as well. please reinstall dicts.

Sathya

Oct 26, 2017, 9:48:14 PM10/26/17
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), ​ Aurobind Padiyath, sanskrit-programmers, dhaval patel

Thanks for finding and fixing this. Now things work as before. And i was able to get some of the new dictionaries. I have come to rely on these dictionaries a lot. So again thanks for all the work you and others have put into this project.

Sathya