Samskritam Podcasts in iTunes Store/ RSS feeds + technique for publishing

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Dec 30, 2015, 5:34:22 PM12/30/15
+bcc: sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com>, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH <sams...@googlegroups.com>, Sanjay Kalluparambil, bhAratIya vidvat pariShad भारतीयविद्वत्परिषद् <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>

आम्। तत् इदानीं सम्यक् एव।

Podcast: a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically.

** Use Case **
ONE TIME
1. User searches for "Samskrita Bharati" or other keywords in iTunes or Stitcher. Or uses URLs provided below in other podcast apps.
2. User finds and subscribes to each Podcast from Samskrita Bharati (more in the works!)

EVERY DAY (or when required)
1. Stitcher or the Podcast App could be used during commute time to listen to the desired podcast. Nothing special has to be done by the user other than opening the Podcast and playing the latest episodes.

Shortly, more episodes would appear later in both bAlamodinI and SBUSA20 podcasts. Anyone who subscribed would receive them automatically on their devices.

Sep 28, 2017, 12:17:20 AM9/28/17
to sanskrit-programmers, podcast-...@googlegroups.com
+bcc: sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-programmers@googlegroups.com>, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH <sams...@googlegroups.com>, Sanjay Kalluparambil, bhAratIya vidvat pariShad भारतीयविद्वत्परिषद् <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>, Muni Nerella

namaH sarvebhyaH..

An announcement of general interest from documentation surrounding a new podcasting tool:

Context

There are many popular tools in a variety of platforms to subscribe and listen to podcasts (see subscription guide SB16.). (I use Doggcatcher paid on Android). It turns out to be easier to listen to audio files in this way without the chores such as manual downloads and checking for updates.

Archive-item-to-podcast tool

Given audio files hosted in some internet site (like archive.org), creating a podcast feed involved some manual labor (adding posts to a blog etc.. as described in this guide SB15.). Now, this manual labor can be eliminated using a new open source web tool - deployed at vedavaapi (<--- IT'S HERE) , which can be used to generate a podcast. Further details regarding its usage (with suggestions for submitting to Google Play, ITunes) should be available using documentation in the linked page.

Try it out!

But wait - Check this sheet to see if the relevant podcast has already been generated.
If the output looks good, you can submit the generated podcast URL (copy from the generated CURL command) to indices like Google PlayITunes, Stitcher and TuneInRadio.
And let us know via this form!

Collaboration request to podcaster makers

​​shrI sanjay and friends have created many podcasts (see this sheet ). I hope that others are as inspired by it as I was to expand their work. So far I just added one podcast from an archive item:

​It would be great if someone could take care of submitting this feed to Itunes and Stitcher (so that I won't have to create new accounts, get access to itunes store etc..)​. And I welcome folks interested in samskrita and shaastra (even in other languages) to create more such podcasts using the tool provided. (https://archive.org/details/Sanskrit-Audiobook-Samskrita-Bharati is an example of something I want to listen to, but am yet to turn into a podcast, and there are many more.)  Anticipating such participation, I've created a new shared email-inbox ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/podcast-bhaaratii ), so that one can use the non-personal mail id podcast-bhaaratii@googlegroups.com when creating a feed for public consumption. Just let me know. jaya durge!

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 2:34 PM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
+bcc: sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-programmers@googlegroups.com>, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH <sams...@googlegroups.com>, Sanjay Kalluparambil, bhAratIya vidvat pariShad भारतीयविद्वत्परिषद् <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 5, 2019, 6:43:24 PM2/5/19
to sanskrit-programmers, podcast-...@googlegroups.com, Sanjay Kalluparambil सञ्जयस् संस्कृतधाराप्रचारकः, Harsh हर्षः केनडावासी
Thanks to travis CI, maintaining podcast feeds just got easier. (There were problems with the web server approach - timeouts, outages, unreliability; and also the possible need to manually update a separately cached feed page eg: Rajiv-Malhotra-Talks.rss)
Now, it is possible to auto-generate / update rss feeds daily - one needs to just set up build_feeds.sh and use the feeds generated in https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/rss-feeds/tree/auto-built-feeds . So beyond adding files to an archive item, there is nothing extra a podcast maintainer needs to do. (BTW, any takers for continued maintenance of some of the long outdated feeds listed here?)

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 9:16 PM विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki) <vishvas...@gmail.com> wrote:
+bcc: sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com>, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH <sams...@googlegroups.com>, Sanjay Kalluparambil, bhAratIya vidvat pariShad भारतीयविद्वत्परिषद् <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>, Muni Nerella
????http://vedavaapi.org:9090/swagger#/podcastsv1/getPodcastमीमांसादिशास्त्राणि, प्रौढाःसंस्कृतम्

​It would be great if someone could take care of submitting this feed to Itunes and Stitcher (so that I won't have to create new accounts, get access to itunes store etc..)​. And I welcome folks interested in samskrita and shaastra (even in other languages) to create more such podcasts using the tool provided. (https://archive.org/details/Sanskrit-Audiobook-Samskrita-Bharati is an example of something I want to listen to, but am yet to turn into a podcast, and there are many more.)  Anticipating such participation, I've created a new shared email-inbox ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/podcast-bhaaratii ), so that one can use the non-personal mail id podcast-...@googlegroups.com when creating a feed for public consumption. Just let me know. jaya durge!