A tool to fiddle with Ashtadhyayi

dhaval patel

Mar 13, 2016, 1:14:38 PM3/13/16
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, indo...@list.indology.info, samskrita, sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
== Sorry for cross posting ==

Respected scholars,
We have been working with Sanskrit verb form derivation computationally.
As a by-product of that work, we have developed a tool by which a student can visualize what effect would occur if a particular sUtra didn't exist in Panini's grammar.
We think it would be of interest to some of you.

Example:
Inline image 1

Execution of code would go on as if sUtra number 8.3.15 (खरवसानयोर्विसर्जनीयः) didn't exist in Paninian grammar and give the forms without this rule. This way we would be able to visualize the effect of absence of rule 8.3.15 on Paninian grammar.

In the present case, it would be as follows
Inline image 2

N.B. -
1. You can silent multiple sUtras by passing a comma separated value e.g. 8.3.15,1.3.9
2. In future, we plan to generalize the tool so that the computer would list the rules barred by absence of a given rule and rules which apply additionally in absence of a given rule.

Best wishes,
--
Dr. Dhaval Patel, I.A.S
Collector and District Magistrate, Anand

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Mar 14, 2016, 2:05:21 AM3/14/16
Thanks you Dr Dhaval for creating this tool.
I've installed it on local server. I will be testing it soon.

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः
www.lalitaalaalitah.com

dhaval patel

Mar 16, 2016, 9:06:38 AM3/16/16
to Malhar Arvind Kulkarni, bvpar...@googlegroups.com, indo...@list.indology.info, samskrita, sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Respected sir,
Thank you for your feedback.
There were two coding errors in the segment you tested.
1. When adding the upasarga to the verb form, it had set $pada to 'pada' from 'pratyaya'. That is why there was wrong application of 'jhalAM jazo'nte'.
2. There was a space left in between wrongly which prevented application of 'iko yaNaci' to generate 'vya....'.

Both the errors have been corrected in this commit - https://github.com/drdhaval2785/SanskritVerb/commit/b9c68ffba015e3e425721127409f90f02d6ea2fb.
The issue discussion was lodged at - https://github.com/drdhaval2785/SanskritVerb/issues/663.

The code on live server is updated for the correction now. Press F5 to remove any old cache.
(N.B. Now there is an option to derive Nijanta forms too - in beta mode for testing).