Re: Skt XeLaTeX

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Oct 21, 2017, 12:37:05 AM10/21/17
to Sreekanth V., sanskrit-programmers, Karthik Raman कार्त्तिकः संस्कृतभाषी, Shree Devi Kumar
I haven't used xelatex or latex seriously in a loong time..
​ Adding +sanskrit-programmers, karthik and shrIshrI who might have ideas.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Sreekanth V. <sreeka...@gmail.com> wrote:
pls find the attachment

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Sreekanth V. <sreeka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Namaste!

Instead of using FB, im taking the liberty to intrude into your gmail {which I got from BVP}. I am trying Skt transliteration with XeLaTeX without success. I was following https://cikitsa.blogspot.in/2013/05/xelatex-for-sanskrit-update.html

Somehow transliteration isnt working and I am getting back a pdf like the one attached. Can you please tell what is the problem? I am using ubuntu 14.04 with Kile.

If this XeLaTeX has some prob can u suggest some other method for Skt transliteration?

dhanyawAdah
Sreekanth

--
Dr. SREEKANTH V.
Assistant Professor

--
Dr. SREEKANTH V.
Assistant Professor

Vishvas /विश्वासः

chikitsa.pdf

Shreevatsa R

Oct 21, 2017, 12:54:53 AM10/21/17
to sanskrit-programmers, Sreekanth V., Karthik Raman कार्त्तिकः संस्कृतभाषी, Shree Devi Kumar
Dear Dr. Sreekanth,

I would strongly suggest doing the transliteration elsewhere and simply typing Devanagari into your .tex file; it vastly simplifies things. See https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/2576/getting-started-to-xetex-for-devangari/2578#2578 and https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/362706/48 for examples. There are many places where you can do transliteration (or even better, set up an input method); see the list here: https://sites.google.com/site/sanskritcode/home/survey#TOC-Script-and-Input

If you really want to do transliteration inside XeTeX, then you need to make sure you have RomDev.map compiled to RomDev.tec etc. It's doable (see here: https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/351962/48) I think that's what is missing in your case, and if you examine the logs from the XeTeX compilation it will tell you.

Karthik Raman

Oct 23, 2017, 7:57:52 AM10/23/17
to Shreevatsa R, sanskrit-programmers, Sreekanth V., Shree Devi Kumar
Sorry for the late reply -- I was travelling. I agree with Shreevatsa -- and I would also recommend unicode input -- I find it much easier to catch errors by typing in Devanagari directly, rather than transliterating. I use mudgala IME (Ajit Krishnan) and find it the best... For transliteration, I use sanscript.

I am not sure this perfectly fits your use case, but do let me know if you want some more inputs...

Cheers,
Karthik

Sreekanth V.

Oct 26, 2017, 1:23:55 AM10/26/17
to Shreevatsa R, sanskrit-programmers, Karthik Raman कार्त्तिकः संस्कृतभाषी, Shree Devi Kumar
Dear Dr. Shreevatsa and Karthik Raman,

dhanyawadah for all suggestions. Sorry for delayed response. I was updating system to ubuntu 16.04 and thought of doing all that you people have suggested and responding.

I have seen this "transliteration elsewhere" method (including links given by you) and I agree they are the simplest. However, I wanted an option for transliteration inside ~ LaTeX.I have tried what you have suggested through the last link, unfortunately I am not able to run the first command "teckit_compile -u RomDev.map"
successfully: It gives back:->

unexpected identifier: "You" at line 1468
not within a mapping rule at line 1469
not within a mapping rule at line 1473
not within a mapping rule at line 1475
not within a mapping rule at line 1480
not within a mapping rule at line 1481
not within a mapping rule at line 1482
not within a mapping rule at line 1483
not within a mapping rule at line 1484
not within a mapping rule at line 1485
not within a mapping rule at line 1486
not within a mapping rule at line 1487
not within a mapping rule at line 1488
not within a mapping rule at line 1489
not within a mapping rule at line 1490
not within a mapping rule at line 1491
not within a mapping rule at line 1492
not within a mapping rule at line 1493
not within a mapping rule at line 1496
not within a mapping rule at line 1497
EncodingName or LHSName must be specified at line 1498
compilation failed: status = -9

and it doesnt create any "RomDev.tec".
(Pls note that the tex file im using https://cikitsa.blogspot.in/2013/05/xelatex-for-sanskrit-update.html doesnt use RomDev but Velthuis.
Can you tell me how I install it (Velthuis)?

With my prev 14.04 LTS, I could install and work with latex-sanskrit, now I am unable to install even that!
When I try to install with " sudo apt-get install latex-sanskrit" ,
It is giving
"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package latex-sanskrit is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'latex-sanskrit' has no installation candidate".

Ignore my ignorance and if you people can help me out with these rudimentary questions, I will be grateful.

sincerely
Sreekanth

PS: thanks for connecting with right people Vishasa-mahodaya

ShreeDevi Kumar

Oct 26, 2017, 1:36:59 AM10/26/17
to Sreekanth V., Shreevatsa R, sanskrit-programmers, Karthik Raman कार्त्तिकः संस्कृतभाषी

ShreeDevi

Sreekanth V.

Oct 26, 2017, 1:45:44 AM10/26/17
to ShreeDevi Kumar, Shreevatsa R, sanskrit-programmers, Karthik Raman कार्त्तिकः संस्कृतभाषी
Namaste!

Please tell me how I install these too.

Sreekanth

Harsha Matadhikari

Dec 5, 2017, 9:57:21 PM12/5/17
to sanskrit-programmers
Hi

You can use xetex with polyglassia and fontspec.

I have used it with some success, try it and  let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Harsha

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Apr 17, 2018, 12:15:20 AM4/17/18
to Karthik Raman, sanskrit-programmers, ShreeDevi Kumar, Sreekanth V., Shreevatsa R
(+sanskrit-programmers since it might help someone down the line)

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Karthik Raman <karthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Adding Vishvas...

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:33 PM, ShreeDevi Kumar <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
Files were already uploaded in https://github.com/Shreeshrii/xetex-itrans

I had totally forgotten about this. Sorry!

ShreeDevi

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:23 PM, ShreeDevi Kumar <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks.

Looking through my email I found just now my trial last year with .tec and . map files skt for use with xelatex.

I will test again and then upload for further refinement.

On Mon 16 Apr, 2018, 9:14 PM Karthik Raman, <karthi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you share some example files? I will be glad to help!

Cheers,
Karthik

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:07 PM, ShreeDevi Kumar <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there any utility which can convert skt transliterated files to unicode devanagari ?

We have some source files in skt and want to convert them.

Thanks.

Shreevatsa R

Apr 17, 2018, 12:16:47 AM4/17/18
to विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Karthik Raman, sanskrit-programmers, ShreeDevi Kumar, Sreekanth V.
Is there still a question here or has everything been answered?

ShreeDevi Kumar

Apr 17, 2018, 1:47:54 AM4/17/18
to Shreevatsa R, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Karthik Raman, sanskrit-programmers, Sreekanth V.
I wanted to convert from skt to unicode devanagari text.

I think I should be able to do it, using the skt tec maps and \XeTeXgenerateactualtext=1 in the xetex source. The Devanagari text can be copied from the pdf file.

eg.

\centerline{{\skt sa.mdhyopaasanama.mtraa.ni|}}

{\skt gururbrahmaa gururvi.s.nurgururdevo mahe"svara.h|\\
guru.h saak.saat para.m brahma tasmai "sriigurave nama.h||\\
akha.n.dama.n.dalaakaara.m vyaapta.m yena caraacaram|\\
tatpada.m dar"sita.m yena tasmai "sriigurave nama.h||
\par}

gives:

संयाेपासनमंाण।
गुा गुवणुगुदेवाे महेरः।
गुः साात् परं  तै ीगुरवे नमः॥
अखडमडलाकारं यां येन चराचरम्।
तपदं दशतं येन तै ीगुरवे नमः॥

Maybe the map needs some updating for the maatraas.

If you have any suggestions to fix these, please let me know. The pdf looks fine.

ShreeDevi

Bhasha IME

Apr 17, 2018, 6:57:52 AM4/17/18
to sanskrit-programmers
namaste

I have a converter for SktRoman to Uni Devanagari for use with BhashaIME. Sharing it here. Just in case, it's of any use.
The file needs to be in the T_ folder and IME re/started.

regards
Venkatesh

T_SktRoman_2_UDev.txt

Shreevatsa R

Apr 17, 2018, 10:34:31 AM4/17/18
to ShreeDevi Kumar, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Karthik Raman, sanskrit-programmers, Sreekanth V.
The transliteration scheme used by “skt” is called Velthuis -- this name may help look for it in various transliteration converters.

E.g. typing the above text

\centerline{{\skt sa.mdhyopaasanama.mtraa.ni|}}

{\skt gururbrahmaa gururvi.s.nurgururdevo mahe"svara.h|\\
guru.h saak.saat para.m brahma tasmai "sriigurave nama.h||\\
akha.n.dama.n.dalaakaara.m vyaapta.m yena caraacaram|\\
tatpada.m dar"sita.m yena tasmai "sriigurave nama.h||
\par}

into the "Velthuis" box at http://shreevatsa.appspot.com/sanskrit/transliterate.html gives the following in the "Devanagari" box:

\चेन्तेर्लिने{{\स्क्त् संध्योपासनमंत्राणि।}}

{\स्क्त् गुरुर्ब्रह्मा गुरुर्विष्णुर्गुरुर्देवो महेश्वरः।\\
गुरुः साक्षात् परं ब्रह्म तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः॥\\
अखण्डमण्डलाकारं व्याप्तं येन चराचरम्।\\
तत्पदं दर्शितं येन तस्मै श्रीगुरवे नमः॥
\पर्}

where the cruft from the TeX macros needs to be removed. That can be done with some scripting to preprocess (i.e. enter the text without \skt etc) or postprocess (remove \स्क्त् etc) the text.

Further links I found just now:
- http://www.virtualvinodh.com/wp/aksharamukha/ — another versatile transliterator that supports Velthuis
https://ctan.org/pkg/devanagari — for historical interest, about Frans Velthuis etc
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Velthuis&oldid=813457135 — oh look someone's created an entire Wikipedia article about this encoding

ShreeDevi Kumar

Apr 18, 2018, 10:25:58 AM4/18/18
to Shreevatsa R, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki), Karthik Raman, sanskrit-programmers, Sreekanth V.
Thanks for pointing out that skt uses velthuis encoding scheme.

Yes, aksharamukha has a variety of transliterators, I use it quite often.

The text is being copied ok in the inbuilt pdf viewer in chrome. Earlier problem was because I used the foxit pdf reader.

So, using xetex is preferable to using a transliterator which will require cleaning up of the Tex macros.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and info. Appreciate the help.

ShreeDevi