Re: bhaja govindam

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Nov 6, 2017, 1:14:38 PM11/6/17
to Ramana Tadepalli, sanskrit-programmers

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Ramana Tadepalli <ramana.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

Try this doc....,,cannot search sanskrit words..
But if I cut paste a word from the doc (u can see the coded stuff) it works...is it just a question of standards or lack thereof?

​The PDF maker did not ​use standard Unicode encoding for devanAgarI lettes I presume.

Everything I read in Sanskrit, at this stage of my learning, I like to have the translated version.
I am translating stories I read in Sanskrit, into English for practice. I need to be able to search such documents too.

A related topic- how good are the translators / transliterators (Sanskrit to English)? Specifically, can the mails you are typing in Sanskrit, be automatically transliterated/translated? I understand translation, especially for Sanskrit can be complicated but transliteration should be easy- lot of sites are doing it in a compiler fashion. I will explain my reasons when we chat.

​Automatic transliteration in browser windows - don't know. Perhaps ​+sanskrit-programmers have encountered some browser extension?
Otherwise transliteration is a well solved problem - plenty of scripts are available.

Ramana Tadepalli

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Bhasha IME

Nov 7, 2017, 7:27:51 AM11/7/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
can the doc be shared here ?

Anunad Singh

Nov 7, 2017, 9:50:54 AM11/7/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Automatic transliteration of a web page as it opens-

It is possible and is very simple. It requires Firefox browser and an
add-on named FoxReplace. So for example, some page contains Devanagari
and Roman characters, all Devanagari characters will be transliterated
to Malayalam while Roman characters remain as such, as soon as the
page opens.
>> email to sanskrit-program...@googlegroups.com.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Nov 7, 2017, 10:50:46 AM11/7/17
to sanskrit-programmers
स्ंयुक्तम्

Bhaja-Govindam.pdf

Anunad Singh

Nov 7, 2017, 11:11:10 PM11/7/17
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
If I understand the original problem faced by Shri Ramana Tadepalli,
it is that he is not able to SEARCH in this pdf document. He writes,
for example, भज in the search box of the pdf program, but the
program does not find any occurrence of भज, although this word is
visible in the file in every stanza. If this is the problem, the
problem is very common and very simple. It is to do with 'legacy font'
(Verdan, in this case).

Actually he is writing भज , which is in Unicode Devanagari, in the
search box. But the word भज visible in the file is NOT in Unicode
Devanagari but in a legacy font. In other words, the program does not
see भज as it is, but as 'Éj' .

What can be solution of this problem? There can be two solutions. One
is that you use some program (such as Bhasha IME) and change the
Devanagari in legacy font to Devanagari in Unicode. Then when you
write भज in the text box, the program will take you to all
occurrences of this word in the file. The other solution is that you
do not change the font of the Devanagari text in the file, but enter
the search word in the legacy font. For example, if you want to search
मूढ, change मूढ to "mUF" by some software. Enter this word "mUF" in
the search box.The program will take you to all occurrences of मूढ .

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 9:20 PM, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)
>>> email to sanskrit-program...@googlegroups.com.
>>

>> --
>

> --
> --
> Vishvas /विश्वासः

Ramana Tadepalli

Nov 8, 2017, 3:32:47 AM11/8/17
to sanskrit-programmers

Dear Vishvas
I appreciate your posting my request on this forum.

Dear Shri Anunad
You are bang on in your understanding. Thanq very much for the suggestions.
While I can use the methods on the files in my laptop, I was wondering how these methods can be replicated to a generic google search. If you don't mind, I will take this thread offline with you.
Thank you once again
Ramana

>> --
>

> --