Identifying sanskrit metres : sanskritmetres.appspot.com

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Nov 7, 2013, 3:26:15 PM11/7/13
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Shreevatsa R <shree...@gmail.com> wrote:
(5) Many of the verses are actually not in proper metre. I think that Śloka, being the bread and butter of epic poets, admits in practice a far greater degree of variation than the formal rules say. "pañcamaṃ laghu sarvatra" is not sarvatra followed. This is perhaps to be expected from the workhorse metre that is the mainstay of epic works, somewhat like allowed variation in English metres. So actually śloka is one of the harder metres to recognize by computer (how liberal do you want to get?), though fortunately, it's one of the easier ones for humans to recognize. Anyway, you should see some improvements now.

I believe I have captured all popular varieties of anuShTubh vaktra family of metres described in vRttaratnAkara in the initial lines here.

(By the way, if anyone thinks I'm sending too many emails, I'll cut down.)
अत्र चिन्ता मा भूत्। प्रासङ्गिकमेवास्ति। विषयस्य परिवर्तनम् अपेक्षितम् - तच्च कुर्वन्नस्मि।

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Mārcis Gasūns

Nov 8, 2013, 2:53:07 AM11/8/13
to sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com
Please add a way to comment, not view only :)