Roadmap Council 2020 Goals

Nabeela Jaffer

Jan 21, 2020, 12:58:59 PM1/21/20
to samvera-...@googlegroups.com, samvera-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Samvera Partners,

After our Samvera Connect 2019 presentation, the Roadmap Council wrapped up the year with a retrospective. The main theme of the retrospective was similar to the feedback received at the Connect:

  • The need for communicating our work to all the partners

  • Defining the scope of Roadmap council, and

  • Helping the community with collaborative roadmaps.

Keeping the feedback in mind, and our experience as members of the Roadmap Council, We have drafted our goals for 2020, and have started working on the first goal. We will be sending out the update reports quarterly as we rotate the chair for the council.

Goals for 2020

  1. Analysis of roadmaps and planning cycles, towards a centralized roadmap that aligns with individual roadmaps: A survey was sent last week to gather data that will help us understand what information is available. Please fill out the survey by the end of January. This information will help us with:

    1. Figuring out if some kind of meta-roadmap template for the community makes sense or if there’s a better way to share the plans & planning information across projects, products, and institutions.

    2. understand the work happening across the community to better inform our work.

  1. Facilitating the process for getting code back into the core, identifying features, talking to individuals, organising support for 'code reclamation’: At Samvera Connect we shared the idea of collaborating with Samvera partners in bringing custom featured developed by several institutions to the core.

    1. The goal is to pair developers - one a common community contributor and one who might not have contributed yet to work together to bring a feature from implementation into core Hyrax (or other community platforms)

    2. Does not require the institution with the feature to necessarily commit developer resources

    3. Will provide both a learning platform to expand the contributing developer list and to get features out of silos

  2. Improving communication into and out of the roadmap council, increasing collaboration across the community and helping facilitate 'asks': Needs more discussion

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Best Regards, Nabeela Jaffer
on behalf of all the Roadmap Council Members:
Jon Cameron – Product Owner for Avalon
TBD – Product Owner for Hyrax
Rob Kaufman  – Product Owner for Hyku
Katherine Lynch - Product Owner for Valkyrie
Mark Bussey – Member of Core Components Maintenance WG
Jennifer Young – Metadata Interest Group representative
Julie Allinson – Service Providers representative
Nabeela Jaffer – Repository Management Interest Group rep. (Chair for 2020 Q1. The chair is a volunteer position and will be rotated off every quarter. )
--

Nabeela Jaffer

Program Manager for Strategic Projects

Digital Library Applications-LIT, University of Michigan

Linked-in / Twitter / 734-764-6416