नारदभक्तिसूत्र

valerio virgini

Dec 1, 2015, 6:54:34 PM12/1/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear members

I just finished reading this wonderful text directly from Sanskrit.
It gives a clear idea of bhakti.

While reading I met some words that are unclear grammatically, but I think I intuited meaning.

The words are the following. Thank you in advance.

उत्तरस्मादुत्तरस्मात् पूर्वपूर्वा श्रेयाय भवति ।। 57 ।

uttarasmāt uttarasmāt pūrva pūrvā

they have the same meaning distributive, but purva-pūrva seems in the form of compound.

What kind of compound is?

तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति तीर्थाणि, सुकर्मीकुर्वन्ति कर्माणि, सच्छात्रीकुर्वन्ति शास्त्राणि ।। 69

tīrthī kurvanti...sukarmī kurvanti

tīrthī and sukarmī words seem not flexed, as if they were members of a compound.
But I do not know compounds ending with a verb. What form is it?

स कीर्त्यमानः शीघ्रमेवाविर्भवति अनुभावयति च भक्तान् ।। 80 ।

aviḥ =  favorable; steadfast; satisfied

bhavati = becomes

or

āvirbhavati= It becomes visible; manifests; It appears;

They're both right?
How can you determine the correct translation?

गुणमाहात्म्यासक्ति-रूपासक्ति-पूजासक्ति-स्मरणासक्ति-दास्यासक्ति-सख्यासक्ति-कान्तासक्ति-वात्सल्यासक्ति-आत्मनिवेदनासक्ति-तन्मयतासक्ति-परमविरहासक्तिरूपा  एकाधाप्येकादशधा भवति ।। 82 ।

ekādaśa-khā...I do not recognize this form of the number eleven.

य इदं नारदप्रोक्तं शिवानुशासनं विश्वसिति श्रद्धत्ते, स भक्तिमान् भवति, स प्रेष्ठं लभत इति ।। 84 ।

śraddhate...I do not recognize this form of śraddha

Thank you so much
Valerio

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 2, 2015, 2:30:13 AM12/2/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

On 02-Dec-2015 5:24 am, "valerio virgini" <valerio...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear members
>
> I just finished reading this wonderful text directly from Sanskrit.
> It gives a clear idea of bhakti.
>
> While reading I met some words that are unclear grammatically, but I think I intuited meaning.
>
> The words are the following. Thank you in advance.
>

> उत्तरस्मादुत्तरस्मात् पूर्वपूर्वा श्रेयाय भवति ।। 57 ।
>
> uttarasmāt uttarasmāt pūrva pūrvā
>
> they have the same meaning distributive, but purva-pūrva seems in the form of compound.
>
> What kind of compound is?

It could be a bahuvrihi, पूर्वस्मात् पूर्वा - like the other uncompounded उत्तरस्मात् उत्तरस्मात् - or कर्मधारय compound पूर्वा च पूर्वा च - पूर्वपूर्वा.

> तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति तीर्थाणि, सुकर्मीकुर्वन्ति कर्माणि, सच्छात्रीकुर्वन्ति शास्त्राणि ।। 69।
>
> tīrthī kurvanti...sukarmī kurvanti

> tīrthī and sukarmī words seem not flexed, as if they were members of a compound.
> But I do not know compounds ending with a verb. What form is it?

तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति तीर्थाणि, सुकर्मीकुर्वन्ति कर्माणि why do you split tīrthī and sukarmī  seperatre words and wonder? They are compound verbs and have been explained many times.

This structure has been explained in earlier posts;

> स कीर्त्यमानः शीघ्रमेवाविर्भवति अनुभावयति च भक्तान् ।। 80 ।
>

> aviḥ =  favorable; steadfast; satisfied;
 bhavati = becomes

>> or
>
> āvirbhavati= It becomes visible; manifests; It appears;
>
> They're both right?
> How can you determine the correct translation?

The same. Why do you  split the wors and wonder. One is adverb and the other verb qualified by it. You split both "sandhi" apart and wonder why they are separated? There are no two verbs at all. आविः is not at all a verb, or adjective, but adverb indeclinable, like  श्रद्.

> गुणमाहात्म्यासक्ति-रूपासक्ति-पूजासक्ति-स्मरणासक्ति-दास्यासक्ति-सख्यासक्ति-कान्तासक्ति-वात्सल्यासक्ति-आत्मनिवेदनासक्ति-तन्मयतासक्ति-परमविरहासक्तिरूपा  एकाधाप्येकादशधा भवति ।। 82 ।

एकाधा अपि

एकादशधा

ekādaśa-khā...I do not recognize this form of the number eleven.

You could not find such a form, but only like एकधा, you will find एकादश-धा.

Please correctly transliterate.

Here also you split in roman ekādaśa-khā, where it is not two words.

> य इदं नारदप्रोक्तं शिवानुशासनं विश्वसिति श्रद्धत्ते, स भक्तिमान् भवति, स प्रेष्ठं लभत इति ।। 84 ।
>

>श्रद्धत्ते, -- śrad dhatte
> śraddhate...I do not recognize this form of śraddha.

Here also you wrongly transliterate. There is no form śraddha, but like आविर्भवति, here also it is śrad dhatte - the first bleing indeclinable, the second part is the verb.

valerio virgini

Dec 3, 2015, 3:37:25 AM12/3/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks dr. bhat, ... for teaching and for your patience.

It could be a bahuvrihi, पूर्वस्मात् पूर्वा - like the other uncompounded उत्तरस्मात् उत्तरस्मात् - or कर्मधारय compound पूर्वा च पूर्वा च - पूर्वपूर्वा.

it can also be द्वंद्व ?

तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति...They are compound verbs and have been explained many times.

This structure has been explained in earlier posts;

तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति These verbal compounds are absent in the Italian language, therefore, is difficult for me to assimilate. In addition, the previous examples is a name+kr and seemed, to me, different. like a  कृदंत conjugate

आविः is not at all a verb, or adjective

अवि  in MW dictionary
mfn.
  • (√ अव्), favourable, kindly disposed AV. v, 1, 9

I thought it was the nominative case of अवि

Please correctly transliterate.

Here also you split in roman ekādaśa-khā, where it is not two words.

Yes, I have transliterated bad, sorry.

But for śraddhate the transliteration is right.

Immagine incorporata 1

Immagine incorporata 2

Thanks again.
valerio

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 3, 2015, 7:32:10 AM12/3/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

> It could be a bahuvrihi, पूर्वस्मात् पूर्वा - like the other uncompounded उत्तरस्मात् उत्तरस्मात् - or कर्मधारय compound पूर्वा च पूर्वा च - पूर्वपूर्वा.
>

> it can also be द्वंद्व ? NO.
In द्वन्द्व it could not be singular, but duel as the name itself suggest. If singular, it would be in singular and neuter gender.

> तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति...They are compound verbs and have been explained many times.
>
> This structure has been explained in earlier posts;
>
> तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति These verbal compounds are absent in the Italian language, therefore, is difficult for me to assimilate. In addition, the previous examples is a name+kr and seemed, to me, different. like a  कृदंत conjugate
>

> आविः is not at all a verb, or adjective
>
> अवि  in MW dictionary
> mfn.
> (√ अव्), favourable, kindly disposed AV. v, 1, 9
>
> I thought it was the nominative case of अवि

It is आविस् and not अविः as you have noted above.

> Please correctly transliterate.

āvis, ind. (said to be connected
with vahis and ava; or, according to others, fr.
ā-vid: cf. Gr. (greek) ἐξ Lat. ex?), before the eyes,
openly, manifestly, evidently; (very often joined to
the roots as, bhū, and kṛ.)

Note the difference and the last note.

> But for śraddhate the transliteration is right.

NO. Compare the transliterated text by me with what you have given carefully.

>> > य इदं नारदप्रोक्तं शिवानुशासनं विश्वसिति श्रद्धत्ते, स भक्तिमान् भवति, स प्रेष्ठं लभत इति ।। 84 ।

श्रद्धत्ते, -- śrad dhatte

Śrad-dhā (cf. perhaps cred-o for cred-do),
cl. 3.
P. A. -dadhāti, -dhatte, -dhātum, to place con-
fidence in, have faith in, trust, believe, (śraddhātum
arhaḥ, worthy to be believed, trustworthy); to
respect.

The second form. dhatte verb form with śrad-

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 3, 2015, 7:54:41 AM12/3/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

> तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति...They are compound verbs and have been explained many times.
>
> This structure has been explained in earlier posts;

> तीर्थीकुर्वन्ति These verbal compounds are absent in the Italian language, therefore, is difficult for me to assimilate. In addition, the previous examples is a name+kr and seemed, to me, different. like a  कृदंत conjugate

Here also the same:

name+  कृ
तीर्थ-√कृ -

अतीर्थं तीर्थं कुर्वन्ति =
तीर्धी-कुर्वन्ति, etc.

सुकर्मन्-√कृ -

 सुकर्मीकुर्वन्ति कर्माणि,

सच्छास्त्र- √कृ -
सच्छास्त्रीकुर्वन्ति शास्त्राणि ।।

valerio virgini

Dec 7, 2015, 4:20:42 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
> it can also be द्वंद्व ? NO.
In द्वन्द्व it could not be singular, but duel as the name itself suggest. If singular, it would be in singular and neuter gender.

Clear.

> But for śraddhate the transliteration is right.
NO. Compare the transliterated text by me with what you have given carefully.

OK, I realize only now that the two sutras are different: one with श्रद्धत्ते, and the other, with श्रद्धते, certainly wrong.

Immagine incorporata 2

 ok, āvirbhavati is definitely right.Also in other translations it is given this meaning.

But still I do not understand why अवि is excluded.

शीघ्रमेवाविर्भवति = एव + अविः + भवति = वाविर्भवति
I can not see the error on the application of the rules of sandhi.

thank you
valerio

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 7, 2015, 6:17:13 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

>  ok, āvirbhavati is definitely right.Also in other translations it is given this meaning.
>
> But still I do not understand why अवि is excluded.
>
> शीघ्रमेवाविर्भवति = एव + अविः + भवति = एवाविर्भवति
> I can not see the error on the application of the rules of sandhi.

There is no application error at all. And if you feel it is correct, you use can it as in Vedic usage:

अवि aviअवि a. Ved. [अव्-इन्] Favourable, kindly or favou- rably disposed. अविं वृधाम शग्मियं सखायं वरुणम् Av.5.1. 9.

If you feel the meaning is correct. Which have so many meanings. But not connected with bhU, like Avis.

avi [L=6825] [p= 0095-c]avi, is, is, i (fr. rt. av), Ved. favour-
able, attached to, kindly disposed; (is), m. f. a sheep;
the woollen Soma strainer; (is), m. a master; the
sun; air, wind; a mountain; a wall or enclosure; a
cover made of the skin of mice; a rat; a blanket;
the shawl goat; (is), f. an ewe; a woman in her
courses [cf. Lith. awi-s; Slav. ovjza; Lat. ovi-s;
Gr. (greek) ὄϊς Goth. avistr]. Avi-kaṭoraṇa, as, m. a
kind of tribute (perhaps consisting of sheep). Avi-
gandhikā, f., N. of a plant = Aja-gandhā. — Avi-
dugdha or avi-dūsa or avi-marīsa or avi-soḍha
am, n. the milk of an ewe. Avi-paṭa, as, m.
sheep's skin, woollen cloth. Avi-pāla, as, m. a
shephered. Avi-priya, as, m. ‘liked by sheep,’ N.
of the grass Oplismenus Frumentaceus; (ā), f., N. of
another plant. Avi-mat, ān, atī, at, Ved. possessing
sheep. Avi-sthala, am, n. ‘sheep-place,’ N. of a
town.

But note the usage with BhU and it is indeclinable.

  āvis [L=9401] [p= 0131-c]āvis, ind. (said to be connected

with vahis and ava; or, according to others, fr.
ā-vid: cf. Gr. (greek) ἐξ Lat. ex?), before the eyes,
openly, manifestly, evidently; (very often joined to
the roots as, bhū, and kṛ.)

In classical usage, it means :

-विः 1 A sheep; (f. also in this sense);

valerio virgini

Dec 7, 2015, 6:44:21 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I like to think that one realizes because the Lord is satisfied and He makes himself visible.
So there is no conflict between the two meanings.

thanks a lot,

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 7, 2015, 7:04:57 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM, valerio virgini <valerio...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, I like to think that one realizes because the Lord is satisfied and He makes himself visible.
So there is no conflict between the two meanings.

I don't think when the correct and perfectly usage is available, the Vedic usage and confused usage should be preferred. More than twenty five meanings are available for avi  most popular is the sheep, except in Vedic usage and not an adverb, but adjective only.

Anyhow you are free choose the correct word or confusing word.

valerio virgini

Dec 7, 2015, 8:44:33 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Surely the Vedic usage must be considered in Vedic works.
It is rarely appropriate in classical works.

But this, being a treatise on bhakti, Vedic meaning does not conflict with the principles of the work, on the contrary, (perhaps accidentally) speak of the satisfaction of the Lord.
The effect of bhakti is to satisfy the Lord.
For this I want consider this meaning also.

My knowledge of Sanskrit is very low, but the significance of sheep, I would never have considered

 :-)

thanks
valerio

valerio virgini

Dec 7, 2015, 8:53:01 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The differences are errors? Or are regular forms?

Immagine incorporata 1
Immagine incorporata 3
Immagine incorporata 2
In the first two there should be sandhi?

thanks
valerio

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 7, 2015, 9:07:47 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

नमांसि सुधीभ्यः।

"मूर्खो वदति विष्णाय विद्वान् वदति विष्णवे।
उभयोः सदृशं पुण्यं भावग्राही जनार्दनः।।”

valerio virgini

Dec 7, 2015, 10:24:55 AM12/7/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Greetings reverential by pious persons.

the ignorant says  विष्णाय (use the dative form of a name in -a, for a name in -u).
The learned person says  विष्णवे (using the appropriate form)
both, in a similar way, are meritorious, because Kṛṣṇa appreciates the sentiment.

(I hope that my English is not worst of my Sanskrit!)

Really beautiful!
... and also very comforting.