Meaning of imaam

Prabha Pillai

Feb 2, 2016, 11:16:32 AM2/2/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Imaam vivaste yogam-- imaam not in the dictionary.

I  referred to Dic of Apte. Didnt find. But in some other site saw a sentence where it shows as this.
Imam vivaste yogam...
In Gita itself there are many references.

Naresh Cuntoor

Feb 2, 2016, 11:59:39 AM2/2/16
to Sanskrit

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Prabha Pillai <prabha...@gmail.com> wrote:

Imaam vivaste yogam-- imaam not in the dictionary.

Samskrit dictionaries do not list all vibhakti forms. They only list the stem (praatipadika) with its meaning. I would suggest attending introductory Samskrit courses or reading introductory Samskrit books, instead of trying to make sense of shlokas using dictionaries.

Naresh

Taff Rivers

Feb 2, 2016, 12:58:23 PM2/2/16
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Prabha,

  Not as an entryword, but within the body of the definition for ima, in the Monier-Williams,
there occurs imām:

ima
      •  the base of some cases of the demonstrative pronoun idam, q.v. (acc. sg. m. imam f. imām.; nom m.  pl. m. ime, &c.
      •  irregular gen. sg. imasya, ṚV. viii, 13, 21 [once]). [167,3]

Where the demonstrative pronoun idam, simply means this.

BTW.
A capital letter I, transliterates as a the long vowel ī, which was probably unintentional, but will lead to missing the word with the short vowel.

Taff

Prabha Pillai

Feb 3, 2016, 3:58:48 AM2/3/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com