Pāṇinian grammar. Questions.

manda...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 12:19:22 AM6/9/17
to samskrita
Namaste!

Please help me with understanding the following sūtra and term tapara.

Sūtra 6.1.113 (105 in LSK) ato ror aplutād aplute | Whole sūtra with addings: aplutāt ataḥ roḥ ut aplute ati (saṁhitāyaṁ) |

Let the substitute hrasva u replace ru when it is preceded and followed by a non-prolated hrasva a |

Question is why do we have apluta words here? Isn't it superfluous here?

Śrīśa Candra Vasu in his commentary for 1.1.70 writes: "similarly ut means short u only and not long or protracted u." If it true then words pluta are really
redundant. At the same time
Candra Vasu writes for 6.1.113 "Why do we say "preceded by an apluta a? The rule will not apply if a pluta vowel precedes it"… As I see, he contradicts his own above statement.

Rama Nath Sharma writes for 6.1.113:
"Why can we not block asiddhatva "suspension" of pluta with the help of tapara-karaṇa? The tapara-karaṇa cannot block suspension of pluta since it has lost its strength after setting aside the long vowel "dīrgha"". He asserts that tapara at means short, not long. It doesn't have any connection with pluta.

Thank you.

Neelesh Bodas

Jun 9, 2017, 2:56:39 AM6/9/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
See point (5) at http://ashtadhyayi.com/sutraani/6/1/113

The summary is that "अप्लुत" अकार is typically asiddha towards 6.1.113, so a situation like (पय + रुँ) + अ3ग्निदत्त is perceived as (पय + रुँ) + अग्निदत्त, causing a possibility of उत्व. To avoid that, an explicit mention of अप्लुत is done in this sutra, indicating that the pluta-swara is to be seen while considering the possiblity of application of 6.1.113.

Kashika says - "अत्र प्लुतस्य असिद्धत्वातुत्वं प्राप्नोति इति अप्लुतादप्लुते इति उच्यते" which exactly echos this.