{Samskruta} "squirrel" in Sanskrit

G S S Murthy

Mar 16, 2017, 1:39:27 AM3/16/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear scholars,
My apologies for cross posting.
I was looking for a Sanskrit word for the ubiquitous and indigenous squirrel. Apte's dic gives the following words:काष्टमार्जाल, वृक्षशायिका, चमरपुच्छ

​I could not locate these words in Amarakosha. I would be obliged for any information about these words or any other word that denotes "squirrel" in Sanskrit.
Regards,
Murthy

Taff Rivers

Mar 16, 2017, 7:17:58 AM3/16/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Murthy,

Are you referring to the Indian Palm Squirrel?

In the famous Monier-Williams dictionary, there are six, albeit oblique, refferences.
Of which, only the one, vṛkṣa-markaṭikā, concurs with Apte:

kalandaka
    •  m. a squirrel (or a kind of bird ?), Buddh.
    •  a particular vessel used by Śramaṇas, Buddh.
    •  (ikā), f. = kalindikā, q.v. [260,3]

parṇa-mṛga
    •  m. any animal which frequents the boughs of trees (as a monkey, squirrel &c.), Suśr. [606,2]

romaśa
    •  mf(ā)n. (cf. lomaśa) having thick hair or wool or bristles, hairy, shaggy, ṚV. &c. &c.
    •  applied to a faulty pronunciation of vowels, Pat.
    •  m. a sheep, ram, L.
    •  a hog, boar, L.
    •  N. of two plants (= kambhī and piṇḍālu), L.
    •  = dullala (?), L.
    •  N. of a Ṛṣi, BhP.
    •  of an astronomer (cf. -siddhānta).
    •  (ā), f. Cucumis Utilissimus, L.
    •  another plant (= dagdhā), L.
    •  N. of the reputed authoress of ṚV. i, 126, 7, RAnukr.
    •  (ī), f. a squirrel, L.
    •  n. the pudenda, ṚV. x, 86, 16. [890,1]

vṛkṣa-markaṭikā
    •  f. 'tree-monkey', a squirrel, Bhpr. [1008,2]

vṛkṣa-śāyikā
    •  f. 'tree-residing.
    •  a squirrel, Suśr. [1008,3]

śākhā-mṛga
    •  m. 'branch-animal', a monkey, MBh. R. VarBṛS. &c.
    •  a squirrel, W.
    •  -gaṇāyuta mfn. filled with or possessed of troops of monkeys, MW.
    •  -tva n. the condition or nature of a monkey, R.
    •  °gānīka-pati m. 'lord of troops of monkeys', N. of Sugrīva, MW. [1062,3]

While camara-puccha is not glossed as squirrel
    •  n. a Yak's tail, W.
    •  m. 'having a bushy tail', the Indian fox, L. [388,3]

Regards,

    Taff

Aurobind Padiyath

Mar 17, 2017, 3:28:30 AM3/17/17
to samskrita
You may check this page.
https://sa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%9A%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%A1%E0%A4%83

Another point you need to know is that Amarakosa is not covering many words.
Aurobind

G S S Murthy

Mar 17, 2017, 4:54:30 AM3/17/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful write up on squirrel in Sanskrit. Many thanks.

Taff Rivers

Mar 17, 2017, 7:56:19 AM3/17/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Murthy & Aurobind,

   The given site may be in the same script, but it is certainly not Sanskrit, it is Hindi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word चिक्रोडः (cikroḍaḥ) that it gives for squirrel, is not to be found in the Sanskrit language?

Indeed the content, incorrect as it is, properly belong in hi.wikipedia.org not sa.wikipedia.org.

Taff,

  R & D person

On 17-Mar-2017 12:58 PM, "Aurobind Padiyath" <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
You may check this page.
https://sa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%9A%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%A1%E0%A4%83

Another point you need to know is that Amarakosa is not covering many words.
Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

Mar 17, 2017, 8:10:05 AM3/17/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "samskrita" group.

Taff Rivers

Mar 17, 2017, 9:30:13 AM3/17/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Aurobind,

1.   The content of the Sanskrit version is (mistakenly) written in Hindu.

2.   The Hindi version gives a non-existent Sanskrit word for squirrel viz,  चिक्रोडः (cikroḍaḥ)!.

Simply put, neither of the those sites give a meaningfull Sanskrit word for our squirrel.

While the word चिक्रोडः does show up on various home-made Indian language sites, I, for one, have not been able to find it any of the authorative Sanskrit dictionaries.

Where then, (in any authorative Sanskrit dictionary) is our nutty Sanskrit palm squirrel to be found?

Taff

Aurobind Padiyath

Mar 17, 2017, 10:19:12 AM3/17/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Some of the places where I find this being used are given below:

There are many places this word is used for the meaning of Squirrel.
It's not my contribution.

Aurobind

Aurobind Padiyath

G S S Murthy

Mar 17, 2017, 11:33:18 AM3/17/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
In the BhartiyaVidvatParishad group, Prof. R N Iyengar has quoted from the well known "Vaijayanti kosha"

“चिक्रोडस्तालको रोमशीति च”. "chikroDa" is therefore well supported.

Regards,

Murthy

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Aurobind Padiyath <aurobind...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Taff Rivers

Mar 17, 2017, 3:26:58 PM3/17/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Murthy,

   In following up your reference, unless I am mistaken, I am to understand that your squirrels are the ones that reside in the realm of the gods.
  The Vaijayanti kosha being the fanciful product of an individual 10th century mind?

  To see for myself, I have obtainen a devanagari rendtion of the work, and being an a devanagari challenged person, I haven't managed to locate the page for चिक्रोड.

  The page number, even in devanagari would help me find 'synomyms and homonyms' of चिक्रोड.

Thanks,

Taff
Aurobind

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.

Aurobind

G S S Murthy

Mar 18, 2017, 1:20:23 AM3/18/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Taff,
Pl see the attachment which was circulated in BVP group by Prof. R N Iyengar on the same subject.
Murthy

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.
Sans_image_squirrel.png

Sunder Hattangadi

Mar 18, 2017, 5:05:05 PM3/18/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com

                            Page       Line

Mar 21, 2017, 7:19:48 AM3/21/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley

Murphy et al.

  Indeed, the given work*, does offer squirrel as a translation, with pointers into the original text.

I do find the रोमश romaśa, for which a Lexicographer in the MW offers:  •  (ī), f. a squirrel, L.

Thanks.

However, there is no way I can get that original scanned text* to reveal its meaning in ordinary English.

And in order to get some assistance with Sanskrit vocabulary. I typed some text, Devanagari and equivalent IAST,
to avail myself of such as Gérard Huet's Sanskrit Reader, but whereas it recognises my Sanskrit, अथ atha and च  etc.that's about all it reveals to me.

I readily and explicitly express my Devanagari deficiency and also my Sanskrit vocabulary.
As I am not schooled in this script, there  may be errors.

      अथ गौधेगौधारौ भुञगीगोधयोसुते        ॥  २ ६ ॥
      atha gaudhegaudhārau bhuñagīgodhayosute         ||  2 6  ||

      गौधेयय्श्र्वाथ विक्रोडस्तालको सेमशीति च ।
      gaudheyayśrvātha cikroḍastālako semaśīti  ca |

      नकुलः क्ंगिलोऽथौष कशो रोमशपुञचक्ः   ॥  २ ७ ॥
      nakulaḥ kṁgilo'thauṣa kaśo romaśapuñchakḥ    ||  2 7  ||

     (To this untrained eye, I first read a  वि as a चि, for example...)

Can anyone help with:

    1.  the unsandhied sanskrit, preferably as IAST, and
    2.  especially an English language rendition of those two verses.

I really am interested in obtaining a complete transliteration of all those verses. If you are aware of any such material, electronic or otherwise, do let me know.

Thanks,

   Taff

*  The given work