Vaidika-padanukrama-kosha

Nityanand Misra

Jan 10, 2017, 5:37:41 PM1/10/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear list

Apologies if this question has already been asked. Are the 16 volumes of Vadika-padanukrama-kosha available for download anywhere?

If not all volumes, is the volume with entries starting with 'bha' available for download anyhwere?

I am tracing usages of the word भागवत (bhāgavata) in Vedic sources. I checked the digital version of Bloomfield's concordance and the word is not to be found there. I wanted to double confirm with the Vadika-padanukrama-kosha.

Sunder Hattangadi

Jan 10, 2017, 6:48:08 PM1/10/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Jaya Prakash

Jan 11, 2017, 8:27:44 AM1/11/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, sams...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nityananda ji,

Thanks.

Sunder Hattangadi

Jan 11, 2017, 9:52:26 AM1/11/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Also:

(att.)

Jan 12, 2017, 1:52:31 PM1/12/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, sams...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 13:14:14 UTC+3, Jaya Prakash wrote:
Hello Nityananda ji,

Was hunting for it as well, thanks, was not aware of such a website!

Nityanand Misra

Jan 13, 2017, 3:01:50 AM1/13/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, sams...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 13 January 2017 10:11:31 UTC+8, Siddhartha Krishna wrote:
The word भागवत is not found in the Vedic literature (संहिता, ब्राह्मण, आरण्यक, उपनिषद्, कल्पसूत्र). The first usage of the term occurs in अष्टाध्यायी and गणपाठ. I doubt that even in the principle Upanishads, which extensively use the root word भगवत्, one can find the word in the same meaning, i.e. in the meaning of ईश्वर, as used in the word भागवत.

Thank you Siddhartha Krishna Ji. It is great to see your posts after quite some time on the forum.

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 13, 2017, 4:26:27 AM1/13/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
 I doubt that even in the principle Upanishads, which extensively use the root word भगवत्, one can find the word in the same meaning, i.e. in the meaning of ईश्वर, as used in the word भागवत.

- AadaraNIya Siddhartha Krishnaji, are you using the word  ईश्वर here in contrast with the words such as Brahman, Parabrahman, Paramaatman etc. or as synonymous to them?

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Siddhartha Krishna <vedab...@gmail.com> wrote:
The word भागवत is not found in the Vedic literature (संहिता, ब्राह्मण, आरण्यक, उपनिषद्, कल्पसूत्र). The first usage of the term occurs in अष्टाध्यायी and गणपाठ. I doubt that even in the principle Upanishads, which extensively use the root word भगवत्, one can find the word in the same meaning, i.e. in the meaning of ईश्वर, as used in the word भागवत.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Sunder Hattangadi

Jan 13, 2017, 1:01:58 PM1/13/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
sanakAdyairmunigaNairvasiShThAdyaiH shukAdibhiH .
anyairbhAgavataishchApi stUyamAnamaharnisham.h .. 2..
                                  Muktika Upanishad

 Inline image
 Inline image

image.png
image.png

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 14, 2017, 11:07:01 PM1/14/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Thanks aadaraNIya Siddhartha Krishnaji,

For clarifying your

"I doubt that even in the principle Upanishads, which extensively use the root word भगवत्, one can find the word in the same meaning, i.e. in the meaning of ईश्वर, as used in the word भागवत."

To my question

"are you using the word  ईश्वर here in contrast with the words such as Brahman, Parabrahman, Paramaatman etc. or as synonymous to them?"

your answer is

"Technically, ईश्वर can never be the same as ब्रह्मन् etc."

Hope you understand that my question was based on my awareness of this technical distinction only.

You seem to have identified the intention in my question since you said:

"Also I am aware that Bhagavata Purana (1.2.11) equates भगवत् with ब्रह्मन् - वदन्ति तत्तत्त्वविदस्तत्त्वं यज्ज्ञानमद्वयम्। ब्रह्मेति परमात्मेति भगवानिति शब्द्यते॥ But still I said ईश्वर, because............

Now let us come back to the original question and your answer to that.

So your  answer

"I doubt that even in the principle Upanishads, which extensively use the root word भगवत्, one can find the word in the same meaning, i.e. in the meaning of ईश्वर,"

probably means that

'in the principal Upanishads, the use of the word भगवत् is probably not in the meaning of ईश्वर "

My intention in this respect was not to question your view in this regard.

The answer so far to the question of the use of the word bhAgavata in the Vedas seems to be that the word is not found at all in the Vedas.

So the conclusion based on this finding should be that bhAgavata is a paurANika word.

What remains to be seen is whether this paurANika usage has any connection to the usages in the principal Upanishads or not.

I thought it would be a study worthwhile to see in which meaning the word bhagavat is used in the principal Upanishads?

Where, in which instances. is it used in a sense that is neither of Ees'vara nor of Brahman ?

Where, in which instances. is it used in the sense of Ees'vara not in the sense of Brahman?

Where, in which instances. is it used in a sense of Brahman not in the sense of Ees'vara?

Also I am aware that Bhagavata Purana (1.2.11) equates भगवत् with ब्रह्मन् - वदन्ति तत्तत्त्वविदस्तत्त्वं यज्ज्ञानमद्वयम्। ब्रह्मेति परमात्मेति भगवानिति शब्द्यते॥ But still I said ईश्वर, because most likely no one would disagree that today, as well as in most cases in the Puranas and Mahabharata (such as in श्रीभगवानुवाच which frequently occurs in the Gita), the word भगवत् is used for ईश्वर and not for ब्रह्मन्.
The explanation is generally based on the following two verses from Vishnu Purana - ऐश्वर्यस्य समग्रस्य धर्मस्य यशसः श्रियः। वैराग्यस्याथ मोक्षस्य षण्णां भग इतीङ्गना॥ उत्पत्तिं प्रलयं चैव भूतानामागतिं गतिम्। वेत्ति विद्यामविद्यां च स वाच्यो भगवानिति॥ which clearly point out that भगवत् refers to a सगुण entity and hence refers to ईश्वर and not to निर्गुण ब्रह्मन्.
At least this is how I understand it.

On Sunday, 15 January 2017 02:13:54 UTC+5:30, Siddhartha Krishna wrote:

Technically, ईश्वर can never be the same as ब्रह्मन् etc.

ईश्वर is मायोपाधि while ब्रह्मन् is free from all उपाधिs.
Furthermore, many statements such as
१. कार्योपाधिरयं जीवः कारणोपाधिरीश्वरः। कार्यकारणतां हित्वा पूर्णबोधोऽवशिष्यते॥
२. तद् (प्रज्ञानं ब्रह्म) अत्यन्तविशुद्धप्रज्ञोपाधिसम्बन्धेन सर्वज्ञमीश्वरसंज्ञं भवति (ऐतरेय भाष्य)॥
३. कूटस्थो ब्रह्म जीवेशावित्येवं चिच्चतुर्विधा। घटाकाशमहाकाशौ जलाकाशाभ्रखे यथा॥पंचदशी
४. तस्मान्मुमुक्षुभिर्नैव मतिर्जीवेशवादयोः। कार्या किन्तु ब्रह्मतत्त्वं विचार्यं बुद्ध्यतां च तत्॥पंचदशी

clearly point out the fact that
ईश्वर, at least in the understanding of Advaita Vedanta, is not the same as ब्रह्मन्
The 3rd quotation above makes completely clear the distinction between both.