तोच चंद्रमा नभात, तीच चैत्र यामिनी...

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Apr 10, 2018, 1:40:06 PM4/10/18

सारे जरी ते तसेच, धुंदि आज ती कुठे,
मीहि तोच, तीच तूहि, प्रीति आज ती कुठे,
ती न आर्तता उरात, स्वप्न ते न लोचनी.
एकान्ती मज समीप, तीच तूहि कामिनी.

त्या पहिल्या भेटीच्या आज लोपल्या खुणा,
वाळल्या फुलात गंध शोधतो पुन्हा,
गीत ये नसे जुळून, भंगल्या सुरातुनी,
एकान्ती मज समीप, तीच तूहि कामिनी.

I remember to have read that this lyric was composed by Shantabai, taking inspiration from a verse in the काव्यप्रकाश of मम्मट.  विश्वनाथ too has quoted this verse in साहित्यदर्पण to illustrate his difference with मम्मट.  She learnt this verse in the SP College, Poona, where for, her BA class, काव्यप्रकाश was a prescribed text for study. The verse is as follows:

य: कौमारहर: स एव हि वरस्ता एव चैत्रक्षपा-

स्ते चोन्मीलितमालतीसुरभय: प्रौढा: कदम्बानिला:।

सा चैवास्मि तथापि तत्र सुरतव्यापारलीलाविधौ

रेवारोधसि वेतसीतरुतले चेत: समुत्कण्ठते॥

However, the verse is not the creation either of मम्मट or of  विश्वनाथ.  According to शार्ङ्गधरपद्धति, where this verse appears at No 3768, it is the creation of poetess शीलाभट्टारिका.

There are two major departures between the original Sanskrit and the adaptation by Shantabai.  The original is in the voice of the नायिका, while the Marathi adaptation is in the voice of the नायक.  In the original the नायिका is eagerly awaiting the union with the नायक as in चेत: समुत्कण्ठते. In Marathi the event is over and the नायक ruefully laments ती न आर्तता उरात, स्वप्न ते न लोचनी.

I believe this is the only memory of the poetess शीलाभट्टारिका.

Arvind Kolhatkar.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Apr 10, 2018, 1:46:28 PM4/10/18
to samskrita
You can hear the popular Marathi lyric, rendered by the late Sudheer Phadke, here.

Sorry, I forgot to mention this in the original post.

Arvind Kolhatkar.

Pramod Kulkarni

Apr 10, 2018, 8:50:14 PM4/10/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Very nice information

Avinash

Apr 11, 2018, 2:58:46 AM4/11/18
to samskrita

> I believe this is the only memory of the poetess शीलाभट्टारिका.

According to the Kovida exam text books of Samskrita Bharati, the following shloka is also composed by this great poetess:
प्रियाविरहितस्यास्य हृदि चिन्ता समागता ।
इति मत्वा गता निद्रा के कृतघ्नमुपासते ॥

अविनाशः