रुद्रप्रश्न

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jul 24, 2014, 12:44:24 PM7/24/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Group,

I would like to poll scholars in this Group as to whether they have come across any study paper based on its internal evidence about 1) the socio-economic condition of India at the time of the composition of रुद्रप्रश्न in यजुर्वेद and 2) the evolution of शिव, a largely benevolent deity from the fierce and warlike रुद्र, as seen in रुद्रप्रश्न.  If anyone has come across any such study, I shall appreciate a digital link to it.

I have seen three traditional commentaries on रुद्रप्रश्न - those by सायणाचार्य, भट्टभास्कर and one in Marathi by श्रीपादशास्त्री किंजवडेकर.  All these explain the Metaphysics of रुद्रप्रश्न but not the secular aspects thereof as above.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, July 24, 2014.

Venkata Sriram

Aug 22, 2014, 8:57:47 AM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

Some critical analysis was done by Pandit Sripad Damodar Sattvalekar in his 40th volume of "vaidika vyAkhyAna mAla" which was published by "swAdhyAya maNDal, pAraDi, sUrat".  One of the articles in this volume is "rudra devata swarupa".

The e-book is available online in Archive.Org.  One need to type the name "damodar sattvalekar" in the search option.

Thought of not replying to this post since you mentioned the term "time of composition of rudraprashna" which violates the concept of apaursheyatva of veda.  But then, thought why not share this book which could be useful for "your pursuit".

regs,
PVS

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Aug 25, 2014, 1:16:40 AM8/25/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your indulgence in helping an apostate like me who does not believe in the अपौरुषेय nature of the Vedas.

In the same spirit let me enlighten you that the correct query to enter in the search box  is not 'damodar sattvalekar' as you give it with a double t, but 'Shripad Damodar Satavalekar'.  A biographical note on him may be seen at भारतीय अर्वाचीन चरित्रकोष भाग २ by Siddheshwarashastri Chitrav..

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, August 25, 2014.