vedic index of names and subjects as a stardict dictionary

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Sep 2, 2016, 3:15:14 PM9/2/16
to sanskrit-programmers, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH, damodarreddy challa
shrI dAmodara has now made available the most beautiful stardict dictionary I've yet seen (Original source here.).

Example output:
From VedaIndex

पुरु-कुत्स

पुरु-कुत्स

Puru-kutsa is the name of a king who is mentioned several times in the Rigveda. In one passage1 he is mentioned as a contemporary of Sudās, but whether as a foe, according to Ludwig,2 or merely as a contemporary, according to Hillebrandt,3 is uncertain. In two other passages4 he is mentioned as victorious by divine favour, and in another5 he appears as a king of the Pūrus and a conqueror of the Dāsas. His son was Trasadasyu,6 who is accordingly called Paurukutsya7 or Paurukutsi.8 Different conclusions have been drawn from one hymn of the Rigveda9 in which the birth of Purukutsa's son, Trasadasyu, is mentioned. The usual interpretation is that Purukutsa was killed in battle or captured, whereupon his wife secured a son to restore the fortunes of the Pūrus. But Sieg10 offers a completely different interpretation. According to him the word daurgahe, which occurs in the hymn, and which in the ordinary view is rendered ‘descendant of Durgaha,’ an ancestor of Purukutsa, is the name of a horse, the hymn recording the success of an Aśvamedha(‘horse sacrifice’) undertaken by Purukutsa for his wife, as by kings in later times, to secure a son. This interpretation is supported by the version of daurgahe given in the Śatapatha,11but is by no means certain. Moreover, if Purukutsa was a contemporary of Sudās, the defeat of the Pūrus by Sudās in the Dāśarājña12 might well have been the cause of the troubles from which Purukutsānī, by the birth of Trasadasyu, rescued the family. In the ŚatapathaBrāhmaṇa13 Purukutsa is called an Aikṣvāka.

Footnotes
  1.  i. 63, 7.
  2.  Translation of the Rigveda, 3, 174, emending sudāse in the text to sudāsam,plausibly, but not, of course, convincingly.
  3.  Vedische Mythologie, 1, 115. Cf. Oldenberg, Zeitschrift der Deutschen Morgenländischen Gesellschaft, 42, 204. 205, 219.
  4.  i. 112, 7, 14;
    174, 2.
  5.  vi. 20, 10. Cf. i. 63, 7, where Pūru also is mentioned. Ludwig suggests reading in vi. 20, 10, saudāsīḥ for dāsīḥ, referring to the forts of Sudās;
    but this must be regarded as illegitimate. Cf. Oldenberg, Zeitschrift, 55, 330.
  6.  Rv. iv. 42, 8. 9.
  7.  Rv. v. 33, 8;
    viii. 19, 36.
  8.  Rv. vii. 19, 3.
  9.  Rv. iv. 42, 8. 9, with Sāyaṇa's note;
    Muir, Sanskrit Texts, 1^2, 266, 267.
  10.  Die Sagenstoffe des Ṛgveda, 96-102.
  11.  xiii. 5, 4, 5.
  12.  vii. 18. Cf. also the reference to a Pūru defeat in vii. 8, 4.
  13.  xiii. 5, 4, 5. Cf. Ikṣvāku, Tryaruṇa, and Oldenberg, Buddha, 403.

​How to get it/ install it?​

  • Installation is very simple in most cases!
    • If you have Android 5.0+, you can use this Stardict Dictionary Installer app to install some common dictionaries in one shot. ( I am aware that lower android versions have problems.)
    • On general Android devices, use https://github.com/nangia/pydictupdater .
    • Instructions from aupAsana.com here.
    • Still having trouble despite the above? Further workaround tips (if they are necessary) for Android are in this email.
    • Downloading dictionaries to a desktop computer (whatever OS with git or python installed) in one shot
      • You could just git clone repositories you're interested in. Eg:
        • git clone g...@github.com:sanskrit-coders/stardict-hindi.git; git clone g...@github.com:sanskrit-coders/stardict-sanskrit.git;git clone g...@github.com:sanskrit-coders/stardict-kannada.git;git clone g...@github.com:sanskrit-coders/stardict-pali.git
      • Or you can use https://github.com/nangia/pydictupdater
  • Recommendations for dictionary apps
    • Android:
    • Desktop computers: Goldendict.
      • In ubuntu, you can do: ​sudo apt-get install goldendict
      • In mac - use 0.8 dmg. Note from ajita: "The one problem I have with that version is that if I leave it running in the background, and allow the laptop to go to sleep, it crashes. So, I typically exit out of goldendict once I'm done with it."