Gita verses broken down

Vivek

Mar 9, 2017, 8:26:45 AM3/9/17
to samskrita
Dear group,

I noticed that some versions of Gita are broken down specifically for chanting into 4 parts. This makes it quite easy to define each break.

But I also know that people read the original text and do the break down in their head.

Please see two examples attached.

Other than it being more easy to learn in the broken up way is there any benefit by chanting the original text and do the breakup mentally?

Vivek

Irene Galstian

Mar 9, 2017, 9:04:06 AM3/9/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
In Sanskrit manuscripts there are no commas. The lines are written without any punctuation except for maybe a I or II at the end.
<sample broken up.jpg><sample original.jpg>

Message has been deleted

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 9, 2017, 10:54:21 PM3/9/17
to samskrita
I fail to see the purpose behind the so-called 'breaking down specifically for chanting into 4 parts.'  At least in Indian schools, children are taught to recite the अनुष्टुप् छन्द in a particular sing-song tune, in which the 'breaking down' becomes unnecessary.  I can recite  'पश्यैतां पाण्डुपुत्राणामाचार्य महतीं चमूम्। व्यूढां द्रुपदपुत्रेण तव शिष्येण धीमता ॥' without applying any artificial breaks.  When it comes to make a meaning out of it, I know that पाण्डुपुत्राणामाचार्य is actually पाण्डुपुत्राणां आचार्य.

Arvind Kolhatkar

Vivek

Mar 10, 2017, 9:37:41 AM3/10/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your explanation. I think I just had a funny idea. Has been clarified now.

On Mar 10, 2017, at 9:24 AM, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com> wrote:

I fail to see the purpose behind the so-called 'breaking down specifically for chanting into 4 parts.'  At least in Indian schools, children are taught to recite the अनुष्टुप् छन्द in a particular sing-song tune, in which the 'breaking down' becomes unnecessary.  I can recite  'पश्यैतां पाण्डुपुत्राणामाचार्य महतीं चमूम्। व्यूढां द्रुपदपुत्रेण तव शिष्येण धीमता ॥' without applying any artificial breaks.  When it comes to make a meaning out of it, I know that पाण्डुपुत्राणामाचार्य is actually पाण्डुपुत्राणां आचार्य.

Arvind Kolhatkar

Vivek

Mar 10, 2017, 9:37:41 AM3/10/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your insights. Makes sense. I was just reasoning for purely in the sense of learning to chant the Gita.

On Mar 10, 2017, at 9:24 AM, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com> wrote:

I fail to see the purpose behind the so-called 'breaking down specifically for chanting into 4 parts.'  At least in Indian schools, children are taught to recite the अनुष्टुप् छन्द in a particular sing-song tune, in which the 'breaking down' becomes unnecessary.  I can recite  'पश्यैतां पाण्डुपुत्राणामाचार्य महतीं चमूम्। व्यूढां द्रुपदपुत्रेण तव शिष्येण धीमता ॥' without applying any artificial breaks.  When it comes to make a meaning out of it, I know that पाण्डुपुत्राणामाचार्य is actually पाण्डुपुत्राणां आचार्य.

Arvind Kolhatkar

Taff Rivers

Mar 10, 2017, 2:18:30 PM3/10/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Vivek,

   As far as the metrical chanting of the poetical Gita is concerned, no phrasal breakdowns are needed.
It is after all a song. I speculate that the English guitar derives from Gita?

Anyway, I came across an article last year, entitled Linguistic charms in Gita*, that might be of interest, especially as the Gita is often used as a base text for learning Sanskrit.

Taff,

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 11, 2017, 3:09:37 PM3/11/17
to samskrita
The 'sing-song' tune mentioned by me above is as in the sound file attached here.

Arvind Kolhatkar.

Gita 1.3.mp3

Vivek

Mar 14, 2017, 1:12:05 AM3/14/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the insights provided Taff.

Excellent and very interesting article. Thanks.