looking for editable downloads of Vijnanabhikshu's

Taff Rivers

Oct 11, 2014, 6:28:12 PM10/11/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Hi all,

  I am interested in the later commentaries of the classic texts, as these do seem to offer a more pragmatic rather that mystic interpretation.

However, I am unable to locate editable versions.

As an example text, there is a downloadable version of this work:
    Nandalal Sinha, The Samkhya Philosophy, New Delhi: Oriental Books Reprint Corporation, 1979.
that Contains a complete translation of Vijnanabhikshu's Sankhyasutrabhashya.

It has the original Devanagari sutras, their word-separated transliterations with interpretations in equivalent English terminology, which is exactly what I am looking for.
There is a particular download in "'pdf" format, but which is nothing of the kind. In reality it is simply a collection of images of scanned pages.
And scanned pages do not lend themselves to word processing operations!

It does take a good deal of effort to produce accurate textual equivalents of these scanned texts, and enthusiasts do the major works first.
I have done some work myself for selected extracts, but I am your typical two-fingered male typist and it takes for too long to make much progress!

So, can anyone direct me to real pdf sources, or even xml, html, rtf, ASCII versions, please.
(I mean of these particular works, I've tried the libraries).

Cheers,

    Taff Rivers

Morgan Morrison

Oct 23, 2014, 8:44:41 AM10/23/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Taft Rivers,

On this web page (left upper box, at approximately the eleven o'clock position), you will find downloadable files of the Sinha work (originally published in 1915) in several different formats. One or more of these formats may be editable for your work and research. The scanned pages of the 1915 book, saved as a PDF document are not the best quality images for OCR scanning purposes. However, you might be able to sharpen or otherwise clean up these images with the appropriate image editing software, depending upon which computer system(s) you are using. There is also a Kindle edition of the Sinha work, available from Amazon.com, which may be a better source text to work with. While the source for the Kindle edition is the Internet Archive, the Kindle edition appears to be in a clear, black typeface with no problematic images that you have encountered with the scanned pages edition of the Sinha work, (saved as a PDF document). The URL for the Kindle edition is:

http://www.amazon.com/The-samkhya-philosophy-Nandalal-Sinha-ebook/dp/B00CF2XIUU/ref=tmm_kin_title_popover

The Kindle edition is priced at US$0.99 and is available as a download. The Kindle format may be saved as a PDF file and edited with either Adobe Acrobat software or a number of other PDF editing software programs, available for both the Apple Mac and Windows PC computer platforms.

Best,

Morgan Morrison
Sanskrit Studies Foundation
Los Angeles, CA USA/EUA

Taff Rivers

Oct 23, 2014, 1:10:44 PM10/23/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Morgan,

Actually I already have both an electronic and good print copy of that particular version!

It is not exactly the original 600 page multi-commentary 1915 version!

Of its actual 200 pages, page after page are just the indexes of those commentaries - but mysteriously without the accompanying commentaries. The money only gets you the 67 pages of the original Samkhya Karika of IsvaraKrishna, which is not exactly hard to come by in any format.

I have discovered a clean, albeit scanned OCR pdf, of  'Samkhya Karika of Isvara Krsna (Krishna) with The Tattva Kaumudi of Sri Vacaspati Misra' published by Sri Ramakrisha Math of Mylapore, Madras.

The English is good, with useful explanation of the Sanskrit technical terms in plain English, rather than in the usual somewhat unhelpful way of yet other unexplained mysterious Sanskrit terms.

I  have placed an order for the book itself (from www.exoticindiaart.com GBP 3.75, post free).

... but as yet, no easy note-taking format.

   Taff

After thousands of years, a satisfactory explanation of the unexplainable remains...

.. and by the time the unexplainable is experienced for itself - it's too late!

your mention,tcopy of those (

Taff Rivers

Nov 17, 2014, 7:46:26 AM11/17/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Re.
 'Samkhya Karika of Isvara Krsna (Krishna) with The Tattva Kaumudi of Sri Vacaspati Misra' published by Sri Ramakrisha Math of Mylapore, Madras.

For those interested:

Delivery times:
    From Delhi to London Heathrow, 8 days.

    From Heathrow (customs) to Cardiff UK, 12 days

Print quality:

   Excellent, the content is not the scanned text, it is letter typed in all three scripts (Devanāgarī, Transliteration and Latin).

Taff Rivers