Valmiki Ramayan Learning Each Shloka with different forms of Knowledge

Smita Sagar

Mar 19, 2018, 2:46:41 PM3/19/18
to samskrita
Namaste:

I am trying to add all learning i.e. Chandas, Jyotish, Learning from Inputs by Professor's Lecture in IIT & our Group, free books from Archive.Org:
I need your help since, I am not well knowledgeable but trying to join dots to ensure gradual learning in Ancient Indian Studies for my daughter
Pls correct wherever required.

Valmiki’s Ramayan

What are my takeaways, I have heard, watched the story what now?

1.     Check every varnan, they are meticulously bound in numbers it can be conveyed (16)

2.     What is that Vidya called or knowledge segment called: Chandas (One of the VedAnga)

3.     It is Anushtup Shloka format in Chandas

4.     If you know hrsv svara (ह्रस्व स्वरा – १ मात्रा काल i.e. time taken to blink your eye lids once) – Laghu (Sign used for Laghu:

5.     If you know dirgha svara (दीर्घ स्वरा – २ मात्रा काल i.e. time taken to blink your eye lids twice) – Guru (Sign used for Guru:

6.     Ganas are now being introduced. You can not keep saying LLLGGGGLLL ..So, set of 3 syllable is called Gana

7.     Yati means give a pause

8.     Mathematics can come into picture: Probability

9.     Jyotish (Astronomy+Mathematics): How  days are defined, if you are devoid of any mobile / device / calendar, how you had ascertained a day by being with nature (By looking at Moons Phase, Season ongoing and Nature of Flowers growing around in particular Season)

10.  Geography: Notifying all points i.e. Mountains, Confluence of Rivers, Stories associated with in Hindu Literature

आदि (First) मध्य (Middle) अवसानेषु ता यान्ति लाघवं (लघु syllable) |

सा गौरवं (Guru syllable) यान्ति नौ तु गुरुलाघवम्

As per Defn just fill the context अष्ट गणा (८)

As per Defn just fill the context अष्ट गणा (८)

Rules of Chandashastra (Samskrit Meters)

Sarga

[Saint Narada visits hermitage of Valmiki -- Valmiki queries about a single perfect individual bestowed with all good qualities enumerated by him -- Narada, knower of past, present and future, identifies such a man -- describes virtues, qualities of Sri Rama -- narrates briefly the story of his life.]

तपस्स्वाध्यायनिरतं तपस्वी वाग्विदां वरम्

नारदं परिपप्रच्छ वाल्मीकिर्मुनिपुङ्गवम् ।।1.1.1।।

1.     Count to 16

१०

११

१२

१३

१४

१५

१६

स्स्वा

ध्या

नि

तं

स्वी

वा

ग्वि

दां

र म्

ना

दं

रि

प्र

च्छ

वा

ल्मी

कि

मुर्

नि

पु

ङ्ग

वम्

2.     Gana Classification

तपस्स्वा

ध्यायनि

रतं

तपस्वी

वाग्विदां

वरम्

LLG

GLL

LG

LLG

GLG

LG

नारदं

परिप

प्रच्छ

वाल्मीकि

र्मुनिपु

ङ्गवम्

GLG

LLL

GG

GGL

GLL

GLL

3.     Meaning of Words

तपः + स्वाध्याय निरतं

तपस्वी

वाग्विदां

वरम्

नारदं

परिपप्रच्छ

वल्मिकिर्मुनि

पुङ्गवम

तपस्वी ascetic, वाल्मीकि: Valmiki, तप: स्वाध्यायनिरतम् highly delighted in the practice of religious austerities and study of vedas, वाग्विदां वरम् eloquent among the knowledgeable, मुनिपुङ्गवम् preeminent among sages, नारदम् Narada, परिपप्रच्छ enquired.

G S S Murthy

Mar 20, 2018, 1:15:43 AM3/20/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I have 2 comments to make regarding Chandas:
1. If an otherwise laghu is followed by a samyukta akshara, that laghu is deemed guru.
2. For anushtup Chandas, aksharagaNa based analysis is not appropriate. Each quarter has to have 8 aksharas and certain other restrictions are to be followed.
Regards,
Murthy

Smita Sagar

Mar 23, 2018, 4:31:19 PM3/23/18
to samskrita
धन्यवाद |

Request your help for understanding Chandas. Any book that you can suggest for self learning.

I am novice in learning Samskrit, trying to make sense of aspects I am going through.
Reading Valmiki Muni's Ramayan is delight and learning Samskrit through it is pleasure.
Mathematics, Literature is very well woven, I am trying to inculcate habit to trace and understand. Pardon me for errors, but need help in doing it.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.

G S S Murthy

Mar 24, 2018, 12:22:15 AM3/24/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
VS Apte's Sanskrit-English dictionary Appedix 1 deals with Chandas. There are many other grammar books which give Chandas as an Appedix.
Regards,
Murthy

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.

Nagaraj Paturi

Mar 24, 2018, 12:51:36 AM3/24/18
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Chandas is better learnt through a direct musical /rhythmic teaching than through books.
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Nagaraj Paturi

Mar 24, 2018, 12:54:16 AM3/24/18
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH

vasantha syamalam

Mar 24, 2018, 10:01:24 AM3/24/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com

कि

मुर्=  typing error it seems

नि

पु

ङ्ग

वम्

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Nagaraj Paturi <nagara...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (nagara...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

Chandas is better learnt through a direct musical /rhythmic teaching than through books.
On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 9:52 AM, G S S Murthy <murt...@gmail.com> wrote:

[Message clipped]

vasantha syamalam

Mar 24, 2018, 10:10:29 AM3/24/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
श्लोके षष्ठं गुरु ज्ञेयं सर्वत्र लघु पञ्चमम्|
द्विचतुःपादयोर्ह्र्स्वं सप्तमं दीर्घमन्ययोः||

S Venkatraman

Mar 24, 2018, 11:59:21 AM3/24/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
You can try the book ‘Chandovallari’ by Dr. Sampadananda Mishra. It is available on Amazon.in. It is also available in the form of a CD which is available only from Sri Aurobindo Publications. You can see a sample of this CD on YouTube.

Regards,
Venkat

Sent from my iPhone

Sunder Hattangadi

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 24, 2018, 8:02:37 PM3/24/18
to samskrita
A Hindi book called 'Chhanda Prabhakar' by Jagannath Prasad Bhanu was a standard book on this topic for several decades in North India.  So was a Marathi book called 'VrittadarpaNa' by Parashuram Tatya Godbole in the Bombay Province.  Both went through dozens of editions.  Another well-known old book is 'Sanskrit Prosody Explained' by the Telugu scholar CP Brown.  All these are available for free download on archive.org.

Arvind Kolhatkar

Sunder Hattangadi

Mar 24, 2018, 10:09:23 PM3/24/18
to samskrita
On Saturday, March 24, 2018, 7:02:39 PM CDT, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com> wrote:

A Hindi book called 'Chhanda Prabhakar' by Jagannath Prasad Bhanu was a standard book on this topic for several decades in North India.  So was a Marathi book called 'VrittadarpaNa' by Parashuram Tatya Godbole in the Bombay Province.  Both went through dozens of editions.  Another well-known old book is 'Sanskrit Prosody Explained' by the Telugu scholar CP Brown.  All these are available for free download on archive.org.

Arvind Kolhatkar

ken p

Mar 25, 2018, 5:01:42 PM3/25/18
to samskrita
श्लोके षष्ठं गुरु ज्ञेयं सर्वत्र लघु पञ्चमम्|
द्विचतुःपादयोर्ह्र्स्वं सप्तमं दीर्घमन्ययोः||

Can one write this word पञ्चमम् as पञ्चमं  in this shloka? if no Why?

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 25, 2018, 8:35:49 PM3/25/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com

पञ्चमं can be written before a consonant letter due to sandhi rule to transfer final m before a consonant letter according to Sanskrit grammar into anuvaara and otherwise not before a vowel or if any letter does not follow like in this case.