How do you parse bhāvinamāttha?

jbard...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2014, 8:38:25 AM12/10/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I am stuck. How do you parse bhāvinamāttha?

यस्योत्तमं भाविनमात्थ चार्थं तं प्रेक्ष्य कस्मात्तव धीर बाष्पः। of the Buddhacarita.

yasyottamaṁ bhāvinamāttha cārthaṁ taṁ prekṣya kasmāttava dhīra bāṣpaḥ |

Many thanks.

yasya

masc.gen.sing.

whose

uttamam

neuter.nom.sing.

highest

bhāvinamāttha

bhāvin = future/imminent

ca

indecl.

and

kasmāt

neuter.ablative.sing.

from/for what

artham

neuter.nom.sing.

reason

dhīra

masc.voc.sing.

‘O steady one,

praīkṣya

gerund of √īkṣ 'to see' + pra ‘fore’

having looked

tam

neuter.acc.sing.

(at) him

tava

2nd per.gen.sing.

(are) your

bāṣpaḥ

masc.nom.sing.

tears?

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 11, 2014, 8:55:49 PM12/11/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Please give the relevant verse or phrase only instead of giving any other parsing.

भाविनम्+आत्थ is very normal structure.

yasya + uttamaṁ bhāvinam āttha ca(ā) arthaṁ taṁ prekṣya kasmāt tava dhīra bāṣpaḥ?

Seeing the best future goal you say, why there is your tear(s)?

This seems to be the meaning of the sentence.

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 11, 2014, 8:56:49 PM12/11/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The other parsing and declensions you have given in the table are mostly wrong.

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 11, 2014, 9:14:40 PM12/11/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Here is the text and the translation of the complete verse;

svalpāṁtaraṁ yasya vapurmuneḥ syādbahvadbhutaṁ yasya ca janma dīptam |
yasyottamaṁ bhāvinamāttha cārthaṁ taṁ prekṣya kasmāttava dhīra vāṣpaḥ || 1.68 (1.63)

68. ‘One whose beauty has little to distinguish it from that of a divine sage, 38 and whose brilliant birth has been so wonderful, and for whom thou hast prophesied a transcendent future, — wherefore, on seeing him, do tears come to thee, O reverend one?

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Dec 11, 2014, 10:59:58 PM12/11/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
When I saw this question the following declension of the root ब्रू (2 A P), learnt in school, came up from memory:

1st person ब्रवीमि ब्रूव: ब्रूम:
2nd person ब्रवीषि (आत्थ) ब्रूथ: (आहथु:) ब्रूथ
3rd person ब्रवीति (आह) ब्रूत: (आहतु:) ब्रुवन्ति (आहु:)

My question to scholars is where do these irregular forms like आत्थ, आहथु: etc. come from?  Is there any background to them. Perhaps Dr Bhat has the answer.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, December 11, 2014.

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 11, 2014, 11:28:26 PM12/11/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
ब्रुवः पञ्चानाम् आदित आहो ब्रुवः ३।४।८४॥

आह, आहतुः, आहुः। आत्थ, आहथुः for
ब्रवीति, ब्रूतः, ब्रुवन्ति। ब्रवीषि, ब्रूथः।

five forms in present tense लट् only in five forms only. and not in others,

ब्रूथ। ब्रवीमि, ब्रूवः, ब्रूमः।

not in लिट्, which would be उवाच only.

jbard...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2014, 7:21:24 AM12/12/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arvind,

I knew from the English translation that it was 2nd person singular of the root ब्रू but couldn't find reference to it in the Sanskrit Heritage Dictionary below. Thanks again.

Active

Singular

Dual

Plural

First

brūmi | bravīmi

brūvaḥ

brūmaḥ

Second

bravīṣi

brūthaḥ

brūtha

Third

bravīti

brūtaḥ

bruvanti

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 12, 2014, 9:35:43 PM12/12/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
My question to scholars is where do these irregular forms like आत्थ, आहथु: etc. come from?  Is there any background to them. Perhaps Dr Bhat has the answer.

Sorry. I didn't answer to your question completely.  Regarding the 5 forms, of the verb ब्रू.

The quoted सूत्र, makes the form by substiting both the root ब्रू with आह and the present tense five suffixes, with those substitutions prescribed for लिट् in परस्मैपद धातु-s only i.e. णल्, अतुस्, उस्। थल्, अथुस् for the five तिप्, तस्, झि, सिप्, थस् परस्मैपद suffixes, used for the present tense. That is how you get the extra five forms in परस्मैपद only.

There is another root completely taking these present tense suffixes replaced by those prescribed for लिट् optionally. The forms of present tense, for the विद् - giving both forms optionally in the present tense.

The normal forms in present tense for the above root:

वेत्ति, वित्तः, विदन्ति। वेत्सि, वित्थः, वित्थ। वेद्मि, विद्वः, विद्मः।  with optional form
वेद, विदतुः, विदुः। वेत्थ, विदथुः, विद। वेद, विद्व, विद्म।

This is just for additional information of these forms. These are not to be confused with लिट् other लिट् forms in परस्मैपद roots

बभूव - बभूवतुः, बभूवुः etc. The लिट् form of विद् is similar, but with duplication of

 विवेद · विविदतुः · विविदुः ·
विवेदिथ · विविदथुः · विविद।
 विवेद · विविदिव · विविदिम.
विद (ज्ञाने, अदादिगण, परस्मै, लुट्).

In लिट्, the same विद् has got another set of forms also.

विदाम्+ चकार  चक्रतुः चक्रुः
चकर्थ - चकरिथ, चक्रथुः  चक्र
चकार-चकर,  चकृव. चकृम।

resulting in  विदांचकार etc. with the same forms of कृ in लिट्, in परस्मैपद.

विदांबभूव etc. like that of भू धातु, in  लिट्.
विदामास etc. those of अस् - in लिट्.