Tiikaa on Patanjali Sutras

Sathyadev Uppala

Jan 18, 2017, 12:49:47 PM1/18/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Sathya Uppala

Namaste,

Is there an definitive Tiikaa on Patanjali Sutras. Something akin to KaashikaavRRitti for ashTaadhyaayii.

Thanks,
-Sathya

Taff Rivers

Jan 18, 2017, 5:41:30 PM1/18/17
to samskrita, eddiehadley
Sathya,

A tikka being a sub-commentary on a primary commentary, is by nature is applicable to that primary commentary.

Numerous primary commentaries have emerged over the centuries, from the most ancient Yoga Bhasya of Vyasa, to those of this year of 2017.

You may start at this site which offers no less than six different primary interpretations along side each and every single YS. Sutra.

These belong to the main philosophical school, but there are others such as the one that Bhoja subscribes to:

I gathered this info. quite a while back

Vyāsa line:         Yoga-bhāsya of Vyāsa                   | Bhāsvatī of Hariharānanda Āraṇya                  | Tattva-vaiśāradī of Vācaspati Miśra             | Patañjala Rahasya of Rāghavānanda Sarasvatī             | Yoga-vārttika of Vijñāna Bhikṣu

Bhoja line:          Rāja-mārtanda of Bhojarāja           | Pradīpikā of Bhāvāgaṇeśa                              | Yoga-sūtra-vṛtti of Nāgojī Bhaṭṭa                 | Maṇiprabhā of Rāmānandayati                                     | Candrikā of Anantadeva                       | Yoga-sudhākara

Vedānta line:      Vivaraṇa of Śaṃkara                     | Rāja-yoga                                                      | Satyānanda

(A different) Six basic commentaries on the Yoga Sutra are:

Yoga-bhāsya        Vyāsa

Tattva-vaiśāradī    Vācaspati Miśra

Yoga-vārttika       Vijñāna Bhikṣu

Rāja-mārtanda      Bhojarāja

Patañjala Rahasya Rāghavānanda Sarasvatī

Bhāsvatī              Hariharānanda Āraṇya

       Beside these, there exist a number of tikas or expositions on each primary text.

I don't know what insights you might be hoping to find in these tikas, but I can assure you that none, ancient or modern, will make you any the wiser as to what exactly terms such as samadhi actually refer to.

While our minds are only around for a few decades. Our brain, that houses these minds of ours has been around unchanged for at least 100,000 years.
And while those ancient explorers have obviously uncovered all it contains, and told the tale - a detailed map of their discoveries is missing.

Thus we are left to voyage around inside our own minds to identify the 'things' those words refer to.
Our very own place is the one and only place where they can actually be viewed.

Again, that samadhi comes in not one, but four flavours, all apparently, being ordinary states, but.. what states?

Then there is the 'other' one - and most importantly - how to get there...

And that's only the first chapter...

So, we have to somehow stop the (inner) world in order to get off!

    to stop:
         to hold back from movement or action.

    It's right there at the start on YS line 2!

But...

Per ardua ad astra

Taff Rivers

Sathyadev Uppala

Jan 19, 2017, 11:58:37 AM1/19/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com, eddiehadley

Thanks for the info. The table with the different commentaries is helpful. It is a nice overview. I found a book which has the commentaries of Vyaasa, Vaachaspati Misra and Bhoja Raaja on archive.org. My intention was to get hold of original works so that I can clarify for myself the parsing of a few sutras.

Thanks,
Sathya

Taff Rivers

Jan 19, 2017, 2:13:12 PM1/19/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Sathya,

Analysing written text strings often lead to ambiguities.

While their generation is subject to precise rules, their parsing is another matter.

Context is everything. The generator has access to the context - its in his mind!

A reader has no such access, and the authors are often not around to provide to explain things.

Such cases abound, as can be seen from even the best of analysers.

You might wan't to avail yourself  of The Sanskrit Reader Companion  on this site  http://sanskrit.inria.fr/index.en.html.
- click Reader on the menu bar at the bottom, but you will need a few kilos of that elusive mind stuff substance to get you started!

Taff Rivers
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to samskrita+...@googlegroups.com.