Re: [Samskrita] Digest for samskrita@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 2 topics

Kamal Kothari

Jun 12, 2016, 11:15:28 AM6/12/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sir these are quite expensive. Samskrita Bharati books are more affordable in cost and probably teach same levels. Pls visit samskritabharati.in for viewing available books before ordering expensive books.

Pranaam

On Sunday, June 12, 2016, <sams...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com>: Jun 10 09:14PM -0700

Please follow my 16-minute presentation called 'Mirror of Sanskrit Meters
or वृत्तदर्पण <at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnUhll0zzA>' on youtube.
There I have illustrated recitations of 31 commonly used meters with
examples drawn from well-known Sanskrit works, along with some basic
concepts

Arvind Kolhatkar.
Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com>: Jun 10 09:16PM -0700

Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnUhll0zzA
Arvind Kolhatkar.
Nagaraj Paturi <nagara...@gmail.com>: Jun 11 10:26AM +0530

Sometime ago, Sri Nityanandji posted this link on another list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X6GcE5Seg0

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )
SriKanth! <srikk...@gmail.com>: Jun 11 09:20AM -0700

Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.

I think this one area of learning Samskrita requires more materials like
these. Different ways of reading the shloka, with different musical ways
etc.

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 9:44:37 AM UTC+5:30, Arvind_Kolhatkar wrote:
SriKanth! <srikk...@gmail.com>: Jun 11 09:28AM -0700

This is fantastic too. Thanks for sharing.

While browsing in Youtube i found these NCERT videos on various chandas..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=CHHAND+NCERT

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 10:27:34 AM UTC+5:30, Nagaraj Paturi wrote:
n balu <nba...@gmail.com>: Jun 11 08:02PM +0530

Respected Sri Kolhatkar,
I have read that Gayatri has laghu and Guru syllables in the ratio of 22/7
(or 16 to 10). Is this true ? Are there other examples of meters of meters
with this ratio. Please also give a well known sloka as example as you
have done for the 31 meters. Maybe one or more of them follow the rule of
22/7 .

Thanks,
Balu

Dr. N.Balasubramanian
9, VLN Prabuddhalaya
748 A, Nisarga Layout
Bannerghatta P.O.
Bangalore 560083
India
Phones
Home:+91 (80) 22057309
Mobile :+91 9986448022
skype: nbalu23

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Manish Modi <manis...@gmail.com>: Jun 11 05:59PM +0530

|| ॐ ह्रीं श्रीपार्श्वनाथाय नमः ||

|| Auṃ Hrīṃ ŚrīPārśvanāthāya Namaḥ ||

Jay Jinendra

​​
10 Sanskrit Coursebooks for Beginners

http://www.navelgazing.net/2014/10/sanskrit-is-fun-7-sanskrit-coursebooks.html

Sanskrit Is Fun

Edited by Warwick Jessup & Elena Jessup

Foreword by Prof Satya Vrat Shastri

Preface by Prof Richard Gombrich

Set of 3 books

2012 30 x 21 cm 239 pages

Paperback Rs. 325 for the set

The Story of Rama

Edited by Warwick Jessup & Elena Jessup

Set of 2 books

2012 30 x 21 cm 294 pages

Paperback Rs. 400 for the set

The Stories of Krishna

Edited by Warwick Jessup & Elena Jessup

Set of 2 books

2012 30 x 21 cm 380 pages

Paperback Rs. 400 for the set

Stories from the Mahabharata

Edited by Warwick Jessup & Elena Jessup

Set of 3 books

2016 30 x 21 cm 568 pages

Paperback Rs. 1245 for the set

10 books for Rs. 2370 [4.5 kilos]

As a lover of Sanskrit it is extremely satisfying to see so many new books
available for those who wish to learn Sanskrit. Especially for the youth,
it is essential that textbooks are well presented and reader-friendly.

Here is a really fine set of 10 books for those who wish to learn Sanskrit.
These books have been designed for use in the St James Schools in London
but are perfectly suited for use by other students in other countries,
including India.

These beautifully printed books are the ideal gift for anyone who would
like to promote the study of Sanskrit, especially amongst the youth. These
books are perfectly designed for Westerners and Indian students who have no
exposure to Indian scripts and languages.

The books are well-graded and supported by appropriate illustrations that
make them very attractive to the young. Today, many Indian schools as well
as schools situated outside India offer Sanskrit studies. For such
students, these books are the perfect means of making friends with
Sanskrit. These books could be useful for those involved in the performing
arts: theatre, dance and music, esp. singing. They would be ideal for
students of Yoga and Ayurveda.

The first group of three books titled ‘Sanskrit Is Fun’ introduces learners
to the Devanagari script. Letters are grouped according to their place of
articulation called ‘family’ comprising both vowels and consonants.
Learners are first taught how to draw the letters. Learning is assisted by
the fact that the letters are presented in the form of animal figures. The
next step is to add vowel to the consonant. And then to teach joint
consonants. Finally, words and sentences are formed.

The second group of four books seeks to teach Sanskrit with reference to
the age old stories of Krishna and Rama. These stories which command an
interest of their own are pressed into service to teach vocabulary, the
formation of nouns and the conjugation of verbs in all three tenses.
Adjectives and prepositions are also covered.

The third group of three books retells the epic Mahabharata in simple
Sanskrit episodes which gradually develop a student’s knowledge of grammar.
In each chapter, a theme which appears in the Sanskrit epic is also
discussed. It makes sense for students to have completed studying the first
two groups of books before starting these books.

By the time learners have completed this course, they will have a good
basic grasp of the Sanskrit language, its vocabulary, structure and
grammar. These books are an attempt to teach Sanskrit in a simple and
systematic manner that may well dispel the notion that Sanskrit is a
difficult language.

This set of 10 books is superb for all those who wish to learn Sanskrit
through the medium of English. We are happy and proud to promote this set
along with other Sanskrit learning materials.

At Hindi Granth Karyalay, we have been delighting readers since 1912. We
are committed to make the best writings on Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and
South Asian Studies available all over the world. Which is why, besides our
own publications, we stock and sell books from all the major publishers of
India. At our bookstore, which is the oldest in Mumbai, we stock thousands
of books on various topics such as religion, philosophy, Indology,
literature, poetry, dramatics, art, self-help, yoga, children’s literature,
alternative medicine, music, cinema and sports. We carry books in Hindi,
English, Sanskrit, Prakrit, Pali, Apabhramsha, Gujarati, Urdu, Kannada and
Marathi.

We have also begun to stock books like graphic novels, popular English
novels, etc. We aim to be a one-stop bookstore that caters to different
tastes.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

1. We dispatch books after receiving payment.

2. How to pay us

We accept payments through Money Order and Demand Draft, Visa and
MasterCard, NEFT and SWIFT. Else, if you live in India, you could simply
deposit the money at any branch of Bank of India.

3. Shipping

In India we send books either by Registered Book Post or by surface
transport.

Internationally, we ship books through FedEx, DHL, UPS, TNT, etc.

4. A list of our own publications

http://www.navelgazing.net/2013/03/a-list-of-our-publications_19.html

5. Directions: How to reach us

http://www.navelgazing.net/2013/04/directions-how-to-reach-hindi-granth.html

Best regards,

Manish Yashodhar Modi

हिन्दी ग्रन्थ कार्यालय

१९१२ से धर्म, संस्कृति तथा साहित्य की सेवा में

HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY

Serving Religion, Culture and Literature Since 1912

9 Hirabaug CP Tank

Mumbai 400004

भारत

Telephones