vyutpatti of Deva sabdah

Sunita सुनीता

Aug 21, 2014, 8:32:44 AM8/21/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I am looking for the vyutpatti of Deva sabdah. Please can anyone help?

Regards
Sunita

--
हरि ॐ
ॐ पूर्णमद: पूर्णमिदं पूर्णात् पूर्णमुदच्यते

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 21, 2014, 9:41:15 AM8/21/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Sunita सुनीता <sunita.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am looking for the vyutpatti of Deva sabdah. Please can anyone help?

The word is derived from the root having

"दिवु क्रीडा-विजिगीषा-व्यवहार-द्युति-स्तुति-स्वप्न- मॊद-मद-कांति-गतिषु ।"

दीव्यतीति देवः। पचाद्यच्  नन्दिग्रहिपचादिभ्यो ल्युणिन्यचः (३।१।१३४) दिव्+अ > देव.

देवः सुरे घने राज्ञि  देवमाख्यातमिन्द्रिये।

"देवानां प्रिय इति मूर्खे" in this देवाः - द्यूतकारकाः, gamblers. So Devashabda could be used in all the above meanings for the verb and more.

G S S Murthy

Aug 22, 2014, 11:31:42 AM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Incidentally, देवानां प्रियः refers to Ashoka. I wonder if the देवानां प्रिय इति मूर्खे निपातः has any cynical reference to it.
Regards,
Murthy

My web site : http://murthygss.tripod.com/index.htm
and also my Sanskrit blog :

http://simplesanskrit.blogspot.com/

http://gssmurthy.blogspot.com

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 22, 2014, 12:01:26 PM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 22, 2014, 12:03:34 PM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

G S S Murthy

Aug 23, 2014, 7:42:10 AM8/23/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Bhatji for the link. It is a point of view I was not aware of.
Regards
Murthy