Learn Sanskrit Through Ramayanam

Shrivathsa B

Jun 30, 2013, 1:21:26 PM6/30/13
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT, saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
hariH OM,

   Inspired by Shri Shripad Abhyankar's Learn Sanskrit through Gita site, we have created a site on learning Sanskrit through Ramayanam. We dedicate it to the shriicharaNa of bhagavaan. It is a work in progress which will be updated often.

   Please have a look at the site here:
http://learn-sanskrit-through-ramayanam.blogspot.in/

svasti,
              JAYA BHAVAANII BHAARATII,
                                                                     shrivathsa.

Sethu Ramachandran

Jul 1, 2013, 3:25:07 PM7/1/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
GREAT YOU ARE. REALLY GREAT YOU ARE.
THANKS FOR THE EFFORTS TAKEN BY YOU.
AS A STUDENT OF THE GREAT LANGUAGE AND
AS A RAMA DASAN AND AS A DAILY RECITER
OF THE GREAT EPIC, I THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
PLEASE INFORM ME THROUGH MAIL FOR EVERY
POSTING.
SETHU.R

manda...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2013, 9:57:24 AM9/5/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com

воскресенье, 30 июня 2013 г., 22:51:26 UTC+5:30 пользователь Shrivathsa B написал:

   Please have a look at the site here:
http://learn-sanskrit-through-ramayanam.blogspot.in/

I know two more very useful sites for those who want to study Sanskrit through Ramayana

1 - http://kjc-fs-cluster.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/dcs/index.php?contents=texte
Select Ramayana in the list and activate "Show headlines" field. Site give prakriti and root for every word. It divides samasas.

2 - http://www.valmikiramayan.net

Shrivathsa B

Sep 6, 2013, 6:14:53 AM9/6/13
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
i was completely unaware of the heidelberg site. thanks for sharing this.

2013/9/5 <manda...@gmail.com>

G S S Murthy

Sep 7, 2013, 11:16:02 AM9/7/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
While learning Sanskrit through Valmiki Ramayanam, it is important to be aware that non-paninian usages are galore in Valmiki.
Regards
Murthy

Shrivathsa B

Sep 8, 2013, 2:50:31 AM9/8/13
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
hariH OM,
shrii murthy,

   is there a single book documenting the non-pANinian forms in the vAlmIki rAmAyaNam which you have come across? I will also be very grateful to you if you can send us/me a list of those usages which you think are un-pANinian (here or by personal mail).

   I too came across non-pANinian usages, but they have been interpreted by TiikAkAras in the pANinian way, thereby making the words fit into pANinian framework. one of such interpretations i came across appears stretched (i am sure you know many of them, more on this in a personal mail if you are interested.)

svasti,
            JAYA BHAVAANII BHAARATII,
                                                              shrivathsa.

jivadas

Sep 8, 2013, 10:16:04 PM9/8/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com

While learning Sanskrit through Valmiki Ramayanam, it is important to be aware that non-paninian usages are galore in Valmiki.

This is most interesting to me. I have been working for most of my life on a translation and analysis of mahA.rAmAyaNa-yoga.vAsiSTha, commonly known as "Yoga Vasishtha", or  "The Supreme Yoga", in Swami Venkatesananda's beautiful abridgement. The YV is a sort of interjection into rAmAyaNa at the point when vizvAmitra seeks the 15-year=old rAma's aid in dealing with demons.
    After some decades of close study, I would say that the author (whoever s/he may be, if anybody: the Self alone; or present as vAlmIki; or, as I think, a school of bardic poets) is very Paninean. I notice that often the YV poet uses an obscure term, which Monier-Williams attributes to _pAN.
    I'll be dealing with this question in the Introduction to my work.
   I would be glad to have an example or two of exceptions.

+++

At first glance, I find Simple Sanskrit to have an approach that is sensible to nuance; and that is rare in the books I studied--Antoine's English high-school typo-riddled Sanskrit series was my main crutch, and of course Coulson's Teach-Yourself.
   The problem for me is that you seem to be militantly against transliteration; and in my world,
which includes the non-Eastern world, transliteration is indispensable. Because the text cannot be received without a Hindi font installed. You get only a series of empty boxes.
   Of the transliteration systems, only three suggest themselves. IAST--with accent-marks--needs its own font: another series of empty boxes. ITRANS seems no longer supported by the Omkara Ashram; besides, it uses "~", the tilde, which frustrates any attempt to alphabetize. Only HK, the Harvard-Kyooto (or as others call it, KH, Kyooto-Harvard) is any good. It transliterates perfectly. It produces a text that can be read aloud by a well-programmed Speech-Simulator. If you are the S-S, there are only a few things to learn. CAPS show the length of vowels, and the retroflex quality of consonants. <z> is the palatal, <S> the retroflex, and <s> the dental sibilant. H is visarga. M is a final nasal.

You probably think that transliterations will promote cheating on the DN text, for those who have a DN font, and so get both. Well, it may be that they do not need the DN in this age of sarsvatI, the Info Age. Wherever I go, I see book stores closing. If you are looking for their audience, it is worldwide on the web.

Thanks for your beautiful work.

Chandra Shekhar

Sep 10, 2013, 9:14:46 AM9/10/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com, sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing your comments

G S S Murthy

Sep 10, 2013, 8:42:47 AM9/10/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Yogavasishtha and Valmiki Ramayana are two different works and there cannot be any confusion on this point.
It is not clear to me What Jivadasji is referring to. If he  is referring to my web site on Sanskrit, I am thankful to his remarks.
As regards transliteration my disapproval is the same as that of an Englishman's disapproval of writing English in Devanagari or for that matter Cyrillic or Arabic.I concede that Roman characters have an upper hand because of their ubiquity, especially in computer usage.
Regards
Murthy