Need help on topic of questioning

Girisha Shankar

Aug 23, 2015, 11:56:13 AM8/23/15
to samskrita
Hi all,
Pranams.

Looking for references to literature on questioning in Indian philosophical traditions.

Appreciate any pointers in this regard.

Thanks and regards,
-Girisha.

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 23, 2015, 9:39:25 PM8/23/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

I could not understand your question without any explanation in the first place.

Taff Rivers

Aug 24, 2015, 4:07:43 PM8/24/15
to samskrita
Girisha,

  Presumably, you are referring to the dialectical* style of commentary, intended to bring out the meaning of the text?

Examples, of course, are everywhere, but as to works that advise a novice commentator, on its application - they are lost in the mists of time.

A mere mention is to be found in the Nyāyakośa.

However, there is a modern work (2007) by Columbia University Press, entitled Scholastic Sanskrit , A Manual for Students.

It is in English with Sanskrit in Romanised Transliteration. It reverse engineers that ancient format, thus to enable todays readers to understand that style.
It is not cheap, but it has certainly been of help to me to demystify those commentaries - and as a consequence to reveal their shortcomings!

 Regards,

    Eddie

the art or practice of logical discussion as employed in investigating the truth of a theory or opinion.