Sharada Navaratri - Rare Mahishasuramardini Stui From Varaha Puranam

K.N.RAMESH

Sep 19, 2017, 12:52:50 PM9/19/17
Courtesy:Sri.K.muralidharan Iyengar

Dear All,

Greetings and Namaste. The Sharada Navaratri is just round the corner (starting on 21/Sep/2017) and in that connection I am delighted to share a short, sweet and very potent hymn on Goddess Mahishasuramardini taken from Varaha Puranam and Chapter 95 (titled Slaying of Mahishasura). Goddess Mahishasuramardini grants the boon sought by Devas that one who recites this hymn with devotion may get relief from all troubles, get all desires fulfilled and live happily.

As we know, Navaratri is an occasion where The Almighty is worshipped in various feminine forms - Durga (and 9 Durgas), Lakshmi (8 Lakshmis) and Saraswati (8 Saraswatis). Though we have seen innumerable quotes from Puranson the oneness of various deity forms, a beautiful prayer by Goddess Parvati to Lord Krishna in Narada Pancharatra (Ratri 1, Chapter 12, Verses 55-63), a Vaishnavite text, explains this very beautifully.

pArvatyuvAca-
tava vaxasi rAdhA.ahaM rAse vRRindAvane vane | mahAlaxmIshca vaikuNThe pAda-padmArcane ratA || 55 ||
shvetadvIpe sidhukanyA viShNorurasi bhUtale | brahmaloke ca brahmANI vedamAtA ca bhAratI || 56 ||
tavAGYayA ca devAnAM AvirbhUtA ca tejasi | nihatya daityAn devArIn dattvA rAjyaM surAya ca || 57 ||
tat pashcAd daxa-kanyA .ahaM adhunA pArvatI hare | tavAGYayA harakroDe tvad Bhakta prati-janmani || 58 ||
Narayana-priyA shashvat tena nArAyaNI shrutau | viShNorahaM parAshaktir viShNumAyA ca vaiShNavI || 59 ||
Ananta-koTi-brahmANDaM mayA sammohitaM sadA | viduShAM rasanAgre ca pratyaxaM hi Sarasvati || 60 ||
mahAviShNoshca mAtA.ahaM vishvAni yasya lomasu | rAmeshvarI ca sarvAdyA sarva-shakti-svarUpiNI || 61 ||
tad rAse dhAraNAd rAdhA vidvadbhiH parikIrtitA | paramAnanda pAdAbjaM vande sAnanda pUrvakam || 62 ||
yat pAda padmaM dhyAyante paramAnanda-kAraNam | pAda padmesha sheShAdyA munayo manavaH surah || 63 ||
yoginaH santataM santaH sid.hdhAshca vaiShNavAs tathA | anugrahaM kuru vibho bud.dhi shaktir ahaM tava || 64 ||

Meaning : Parvati said - I am Radha in your Vakshasthala, who was in Vrindavana. I am Lakshmi in Vaikuntha, who does service to your Lotus Feet. ... I am Brahmani, Vedamata Gayatri, and Sarasvati in Brahmaloka. Now I am the daughter of Daksha and the consort of Shankara. I am the most ardent devotee of yours and your most beloved and that is why I am called Narayani in Vedas. I am the mother of Mahavishnu and I am at the root of this universe. ... I am your Buddhi as well as Shakti

Do we need to say anything more? If we really look at this, it is essentially what Lord Narayana says in Gayatri Stuti in Devi Bhagavata (Adishakte jaganmAtar bhaktAnugraha-kAriNI ...). So for sure, deluded are those who can't get past the nama-bheda forms and they deserve pity!

May We Pray To The Omnipotent Almighty in the form of Mahishasuramardini with this hymn during Navaratri.