Meaning

Prabha Pillai

Mar 21, 2017, 2:02:31 PM3/21/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Someone asked the meaning of this:

  विराटनगरे कीचका दुपकीचकाद्.
I don't know from where she got this.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 22, 2017, 8:29:32 AM3/22/17
to samskrita
It is
विराटनगरे कीचकात् उपकीचकात्.
 When you join the सन्धि, it becomes
विराटनगरे कीचकादुपकीचकात्.

कीचक is the villain who had an evil eye for Draupadi, when the Pandavas were living incognito in ViraTanagara.  उपकीचक is one of the 105 brothers of कीचक.  Please see http://www.bharatdiscovery.org/india/%E0%A4%89%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%80%E0%A4%9A%E0%A4%95

There is an old and famous Marathi opera-style संगीत नाटक called  कीचकवध.

Arvind Kolhatkar.

shankara

Mar 22, 2017, 8:52:35 AM3/22/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

This is part of a Sanskrit riddle that we learned during school days.

Dr. HN Bhat has explained it at the following link.

regards
shankara

Mar 22, 2017, 8:58:00 AM3/22/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

The link given in my last post doesn't answer the riddle. The riddle was explained by Peekeyar in the following discussion in Samskrita group itself.

regards
shankara

Mar 22, 2017, 9:40:05 AM3/22/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The complete riddle is a full verse:

विराटनगरे रम्ये कीचकादुपकीचकम् ।
अस्य क्रियापदं वक्त्रे हैमं दास्यामि कङ्कणम् ।।

​The first reading means a incomplete sentence without a verb : In the beautiful city of विराट from कीचक to उपकीचक as explained by Mr.Aravind. The second haf says that I will give the person a golden bangle (हैमं कङ्कणम्) to the person who will tell the verb in this sentence.

Now, second readng will give the verb making the sentence complete with a verb and this time you will hope to get the golden bangle (in the first reading).
But reading carefully you will get the meaning:

विः - आट a bird was roaming, in the beautifull city, from a bamboo tree to another bamoo tree (कीचक means bamboo tree). The sentence is complete. If you read second time the second half, हैमं कं कणम् a drop of water and you will not get golden bangle.

Prabha Pillai

Mar 22, 2017, 12:28:50 PM3/22/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for helping me with the meaning of the sloka.

Subrahmanian R

Mar 22, 2017, 12:52:39 PM3/22/17
to samskrita
Bhatt Mahodaya.

Regarding the haimam dasyami kankanam, I heard a slightly different version. Haimam is of or relating to हिम (snow) and कङ्कणम् also means a pebble. (In Benares it is said कङ्कण् कङ्कण् शिवलिंग् होता है every pebble is shivling). And the challenger gave only a piece of snow and a pebble as present.

With respects
R Subrahmanian

Prabha Pillai

Mar 23, 2017, 1:45:07 AM3/23/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Beauty of the language. Same sloka , same words, different meanings.
Once again Thank you all.
As Tagore said,  I asked for a flower and I am getting a garden full with flowers .