Re: Ashtadhyayi: morphology of viṣṇu

Sai Susarla

Oct 28, 2014, 12:38:27 AM10/28/14
to tdharris, sams...@googlegroups.com
Is there such a thing as 'vaishna'? I haven't heard of such a formation.  Cc'ing to the Samskrit mailing list to see if others can help.
- Sai.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM, tdharris <srit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sir,

In reference to sanskritdocuments.org
I need to cite the morphology of viṣṇu from Ashtadhyayi in order to
explain the difference between vaiṣṇa or vaiṣṇava, both of which would
be taddhita formations from viṣṇu. I was told to consult 4.3.2 but to
no avail.

Could you kindly advise?

Sincerely yours,,
Troy Harris / Munich

Ref. http://sanskritdocuments.org/learning_tools/ashtadhyayi/vyakhya/4/4.3.2.htm

Hnbhat B.R.

Oct 28, 2014, 9:32:41 AM10/28/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Sai Susarla <sai.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there such a thing as 'vaishna'? I haven't heard of such a formation.  Cc'ing to the Samskrit mailing list to see if others can help.
- Sai.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM, tdharris <srit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sir,

In reference to sanskritdocuments.org
I need to cite the morphology of viṣṇu from Ashtadhyayi in order to
explain the difference between vaiṣṇa or vaiṣṇava, both of which would
be taddhita formations from viṣṇu. I was told to consult 4.3.2 but to
no avail

Please quote the source with the context where did you find. As we know from the taddhita from विष्णु could be वैष्णव. and not any possibility of वैष्ण. I could not locate such a word in Monier Williams or VSApte Dictionaries.