प्रश्नोत्तर-रत्न-मालिका

valerio virgini

Jun 30, 2017, 6:27:56 AM6/30/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear members

I can not understand the word " ūrdhvaretaskaḥ".

I separated the words as follows:

yaḥ ca askhalita-ūrdhvaretaskaḥ

Can someone help me?
Thank you
valerio

Immagine incorporata 1

vasantha syamalam

Jul 1, 2017, 1:18:51 PM7/1/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
रेतस्क नाम?

valerio virgini

Jul 1, 2017, 4:12:43 PM7/1/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vasantha

it could be

ऊर्ध्व-रेतस्-क
Where -क is an adjectival suffix for the formation of bahuvrīhi.
This would make sense, but I never found the -क suffix with a name ending in -s.

Is that possible?

valerio

Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com

hnbhat

Jul 1, 2017, 5:13:17 PM7/1/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

अस्खलितम्, ऊर्ध्वं रेतो यस्य सः - अस्खलितोर्ध्वरेतस्कः =  like व्यूढोरस्क! Usage like ऊर्ध्वरेताः are available, but I too could not find the compound in the dictionaries. Roughly the  meaning will be "one with uninterrupted cebacy" literally meaning "one  who has not spilt upheld semen".

retas = semen

valerio virgini

Jul 1, 2017, 5:48:11 PM7/1/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much!
Now I'm quieter.
😀

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 1, 2017, 11:06:06 PM7/1/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
>but I never found the -कsuffix with a name ending in -s.
1. Names like this are descriptive . These are guNavAchaka words and bahuvrIhi s.

2. Samavayaska, udAramanaska etc. are other such descriptions.

valerio virgini

Jul 11, 2017, 5:33:59 AM7/11/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear members

There is another compound with an ending that I can not understand:

Immagine incorporata 1

तल्लोकस्वरुपसाक्षात्वं ।

tal-loka-svarupa-sākṣātva

Could there be a mistake on the text?

-tvam should be -ttvam

Can someone help me?

thanks
valerio

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 11, 2017, 6:14:33 AM7/11/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
There is no mistake. Saakshaat +tvam=saakshaattvam

Gowrishankar Arunachalam

Jul 11, 2017, 7:56:45 AM7/11/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
it is seen to be साक्षात्वं - very nature. Checked with a couple of publicationsInline image 1

सस्नेहम्
Gowrishankar
आनो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत:
Let Noble Thoughts Flow from Everywhere

valerio virgini

Jul 11, 2017, 7:58:24 AM7/11/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The text in the photo is wrong.

sākṣātvaṃ instead of
sākṣāttva

If a text is not reliable it's a big deal.
Even the last part is unclear:

atha com

atha ca + om ... caum
atha ca + aum ... caum

I think that here too is a mistake on the text.

thanks
valerio

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jul 11, 2017, 10:05:08 AM7/11/17
to samskrita

Dear Sir,

I have referrred “A PRACTICAL GRAMMAR OF THE SANSKRIT LANGUAGE- Fourth Edition-MONIER WILLIAMS” Page No. 30

“ So also the sacred syllable ओम् and the preposition ā may cut off a final a; e.g. शिवाय ओं नमः = शिवायों नमः 'Om! reverence to Siva; 'शिव एहि' (i.e.with इहि) =शिवेहि ’Siva, come!' “

EUPHONIC COMBINATION

What I expected due to वृद्धि

But what really happens because of exception

च + ओम् ca + om

चौम् caum

चोम् com

शिवाय + ओं नमः

śivāya + oṃ namaḥ

शिवायौ नमः

śivāyau namaḥ

शिवायों नमः  śivāyoṃ namaḥ

Regards

Ramana murthy

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jul 11, 2017, 11:07:07 AM7/11/17
to samskrita
Here is one more link where it is correctly given:

Regards
Ramana murthy

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jul 11, 2017, 11:07:18 AM7/11/17
to samskrita

Dear Sir.

It seems there is typo in the book.

साक्षात् + त्वम् = साक्षात्त्वम्

But in the book one त् t is missing. And it is printed as साक्षात्वम् (missing one त् t)

Then I seached the google. Here are the search results.

1) Link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shankara-prashna-uttara-ratna-malika/wZ_a4vLuwP4

You can find त्त्वम् (ttvam) here.

फलमपि भगवद्भक्तेः किं तल्लोकस्वरूपसाक्षात्त्वम् ।

phalamapi bhagavadbhakteH kiM tallokasvaruupasaaxaattvam |

मोक्षश्च को ह्यविद्यास्तमयः कः सर्ववेदभूरथ चोम् ॥ ६६॥

moxashcha ko hyavidyaastamayaH kaH sarvavedabhuuratha chom || 66||

फलमपि भगवद्भक्तेः किं?

phalamapi bhagavadbhakteH kiM?

फलं अपि भगवत्-भक्तेः किं?

phalaM api bhagavat.h-bhakteH kiM?

##And what is the result of devotion to the Lord?##

तल्लोकस्वरूपसाक्षात्त्वं ।

tallokasvaruupasaaxaattvaM |

तत्-लोक-स्वरूप-साक्षात्त्वं ।

tat.h-loka-svaruupa-saaxaattvaM |

##The immediate realiZation of His abode and one's own nature.##

2) Here is one more link:

https://www.sankara.iitk.ac.in/preliminary-texts?language=dv&field_text1_tid=86

Scroll down to 66th Sloka.

You can find त्त्वम् (ttvam) here.

फलमपि भगवद्भक्तेः किं तल्लोकस्वरूपसाक्षात्त्वम्।

मोक्षश्च को ह्यविद्यास्तमयः कः सर्ववेदभूरथ चोम्।।66।।

So obviously there is typo in the book.

Regards

Ramana murthy

Gowrishankar Arunachalam

Jul 11, 2017, 12:18:06 PM7/11/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sri Bathalaji

hnbhat

Jul 11, 2017, 1:02:25 PM7/11/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

instead साक्षात्त्वम् is the correct form derived from साक्षात्  with suffix त्व. And not two words साक्षात् and त्वम् !

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 11, 2017, 1:56:44 PM7/11/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Yes, that is what I meant by Saakshaat + tvam; probably it can be further be split into saakshaat + tva + m .

Usual expression found with saakshaat is saakshaatkaarah or saakshaatkaraNam.

These expressions have saakshaat + kri .

Kri leads to the idea of role/agency  for the bhakta / saadhaka in the phala.

To avoid that and to say that the phala is caused by Bhakti , here, the suffix tva is used in stead of the root kri.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jul 11, 2017, 1:59:34 PM7/11/17
to samskrita

Dear Sir,

Thanks for correcting me.

This from Apte’s Dictionary.

साक्षात् (ind.) 1 In the presence of, before the very eyes, visibly, openly,
              evidently.

      — 2 In person, actually, in bodily form; साक्षात् प्रियामुपगतामपहाय पूर्वं

Ś. 6. 15; 1. 6.

      — 3 Directly.

I was of the opinion that the suffix त्व can be added only to the declinables like nouns. Since साक्षात् is indeclinable, I thought साक्षात्त्वम् is made up of साक्षात् (meaning: directly) and त्वम् (you, nominative case).

If I add त्व to साक्षात् then it becomes साक्षात्त्व (directness) which is an abstract neuter noun. From this we can derive nominative or accustive form साक्षात्त्वम्, which is used in the sloka.

Can you please clear my doubt whether suffixes can be added to indeclinables to make abstract nouns

Regards

Ramana murthy

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 11, 2017, 2:10:14 PM7/11/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
prithak + tva + m = prithaktvam

Irene Galstian

Jul 11, 2017, 2:38:35 PM7/11/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Here's another example (attached).

--
example.jpg

valerio virgini

Jul 12, 2017, 4:40:07 AM7/12/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much.
The doubts have vanished

valerio

Pramod Kulkarni

Jul 13, 2017, 5:40:57 PM7/13/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The first link provided by RamanaMurthy gives the text as it is and finally with संधिविच्छेद। It to mentions one pada with त्त्वम्. So one pada explation is correct.