Rivers - feminine or masculine

KN.Ramesh

Oct 13, 2017, 11:18:52 AM10/13/17
to samskrita
In general all the rivers are reckoned as feminine.

But few doubts:

For eg., brahmaputra is masculine - Should we treat it as feminine?

similarly, heard  in an upanyasam that the rivers Narmada, tapti which are flowing into west are called as नद which is masculine..

But in sandhyavandanam, we recite narmadAyai nama: prAtah... which is treating narmada as feminine.

namaskarams

Subrahmanian R

Oct 13, 2017, 9:46:44 PM10/13/17
to samskrita
Respected Scholars,

The following are some excerpts from ’भारतानुवर्णनम्’ by T Ganapati Sastri (intended specially for Sanskrit readers in Europe)

पश्चिमसमुद्र: सिन्धुनदश्च पश्चिमा सीमा ।

लोहित्यनद: - अस्ति कैलासात् पूर्वतो ’लोहितम्’ नाम महासर:। तस्माद् नदो ’लोहित्यो’ नाम प्रभवति।

अयं ’ब्रह्मपुत्र’ इव नामान्तरं वहति।

सिन्धुनद: - ’सिन्धुनद:’ कैलासात् प्रभवति।

नर्मदा - ’नर्मदा’ विन्ध्यस्य पूर्वभागेनोपश्लिष्टाद् ’अमरकण्टक’ इति प्रसिद्धाद् मेकलगिरेराविर्भवति; विन्ध्यस्य दक्षिणपार्श्वे च बहुभिर्निर्झरसंपातै: पश्चिममुखी प्रवहती। एषा जाबलपुरम् अतीत्य . .

From this it appears Brahmaputra and Sindhu are masculine. Others are feminine, even if it flows towards west.

With Reverence

R Subrahmanian

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Oct 14, 2017, 9:23:31 AM10/14/17
to samskrita
अमरकण्टकप्रभवः शोणभद्रो नदः। अमरकण्टकप्रभवा नर्मदा मुलताईप्रभवा ताप्ती चेमे नद्यौ।

Nagaraj Paturi

Oct 14, 2017, 9:31:29 AM10/14/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
In Sanskrit, gender is grammatical not semantic. Wife can be referred to by  patnee, jaayah or kalatram.

When we say kalatram is napumsaka linga, we mean that the word referring to wife has the grammatical feature of napumsaka linga not that wife the entity referred to by the word kalatram is of napumsaka linga.

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM, उज्ज्वल राजपूत <ujjwal....@gmail.com> wrote:
अमरकण्टकप्रभवः शोणभद्रो नदः। अमरकण्टकप्रभवा नर्मदा मुलताईप्रभवा ताप्ती चेमे नद्यौ।

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Nagaraj Paturi

Oct 14, 2017, 10:11:52 AM10/14/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH

KN.Ramesh

Oct 16, 2017, 9:33:16 AM10/16/17
to samskrita
Thanks a lot R.Subrahmanyam ji & Dr.Nagaraj Paturi ji..

>>In Sanskrit, gender is grammatical not semantic

Excellent sir I was often getting confused on this issue. Thanks for the help.