The story of chess

P.K.Ramakrishnan

Nov 21, 2013, 8:31:33 AM11/21/13
to 4bra...@yahoogroups.com, iyer123, us brahmins, samskrita
I am writing this in the background of the current World Championship games being played at Chennai.

It is well known that the game of chess originated in India.
It was known as chaturangam.  It is to be split as chatur+
angam or four parts.

This is what Amarasimha the well knon lexicographer says
about chaturangam:

hastyasvarathapaadaatam
senangam syat chatustayam //

The four parts of the sena are
hasti (elephant), asva (horse).
ratha (chariot) and foot soldier.

They protect the king and the Minister.

In the modern chess hasti is named bishop.
asva named the knight. ratha named the rook
and the foot soldier as the pawn.

It is unthinkable that a Queen participates in an war.  So also
the elephant is called bishop.

We do not know who gave these new names.

-----------------------------------
P.K.Ramakrishnan
http://peekayar.blogspot.com

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Nov 21, 2013, 10:43:39 AM11/21/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com, 4bra...@yahoogroups.com, iyer123, us brahmins, P.K.Ramakrishnan
Please see the Wikipedia article shown below and its linked pages for a quick answer.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, November 21, 2013.

G S S Murthy

Nov 22, 2013, 12:12:52 AM11/22/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
As an adjunct to the ongoing thread of discussion, I may mention the chess-knight's problem, where starting from
 one corner a knight has to cover all the cells once and once only. The earliest known solution is in Haravijaya (9th-10th century). One verse reads normally and the solution verse reads as per the knight's movement. Vedanta desika has also used this in Citra-stabaka of Padukasahasra. Prof.Knuth the well known Computer theoretician has researched in this area and has composed a set of verses in English in the same fashion.
Regards
Murthy

My web site : http://murthygss.tripod.com/index.htm
and also my Sanskrit blog :