Antayeṣṭi saṃskāra

valerio virgini

Mar 26, 2015, 3:28:11 AM3/26/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear members

I would like to know if the vaiṣṇava have a unique funeral rite or if this differs in some details between the various schools vaiṣṇava .

There is a part of the rite (hymns, prayers, mantras, actions) that is always common in every funeral ceremony?

What are the text (for vaiṣṇava) that give indications on funeral rituals?

thanks
Valerio

kamalesh pathak

Mar 29, 2015, 11:51:44 PM3/29/15
to samskrita
kindly refer shukla yajurveda chapter 2. there are several mantras related to PITAR,

Kamlesh Pathak

mvnpavana kumara Sharma

Mar 29, 2015, 11:52:05 PM3/29/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi
All are the same for all Brahmins. Vaishnavas and smartas and saivas also called as vipra. The all sutras would says that ब्रह्मविदाप्नोति परम् इति ब्रहमविदो दक्षिणे कर्णे जपेत्. Means brahmavid is who related with varna. Not with Vishnava or smartha. Like this all are same. Somewhere minor changes are there but those can't have the power to change the kramam in the samskara.

valerio virgini

Mar 30, 2015, 6:24:51 AM3/30/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank You kumara Sharma

... but if the funeral can not change the karma, what benefit can give? what is its utility?

valerio

Hi
All are the same for all Brahmins. Vaishnavas and smartas and saivas also called as vipra. The all sutras would  says that ब्रह्मविदाप्नोति परम् इति ब्रहमविदो दक्षिणे कर्णे जपेत्. Means brahmavid is who related with varna. Not with Vishnava or smartha. Like this all are same. Somewhere minor changes are there but those can't have the power to change the kramam in the samskara.

valerio virgini

Mar 30, 2015, 6:30:30 AM3/30/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank You  kamalesh pathak

Unfortunately I read Sanskrit with difficulty; you could recommend a good English translation? ... (maybe online)

valerio

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 30, 2015, 7:52:17 AM3/30/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM, valerio virgini <valerio...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank You  kamalesh pathak

Unfortunately I read Sanskrit with difficulty; you could recommend a good English translation? ... (maybe online)

After all reading English Translation of any Prayoga grantha, the practical manuals for antyeshti, what do you want to know?

No other preists utilize these manuals need English translation, as they are trained in the profession, during their training. For others, they are of no utility, as it belongs to the domain of the believers of the religion of Hindu system, who believe in rebirth and birth cycle, till one is relieved of the results of the karma-s, by philosophical practice. For others, it is a customary ritual based on the Puranic mythology. Believers of different schools of philosophy have their own means to attain salvation. So what is your requirement? I think neither of the two listed above is your aim.

For your question you may digest the Indian System of Philosophy and their stand on the Sixteen Samskara-s pUrva samskara-s and apara-samskara-s, of which the antyeshti is the first one. Each of the system has got their karma, according to the system. Now, your Antyeshti, does not belong to any of the systems of Philosophy, but common to Hindu reliion, unless one adopts ascetic life, from birth to death, it is a must.

For THE YAJUR VEDA Translated by DEVI CHAND, M.A. Ex. Principal, D. A. V., you can refer to archives.org

Other translations:

 Ralph Thomas Hotchkin Griffith, The Texts of the White Yajurveda. Translated with a Popular Commentary (1899).

Devi Chand, The Yajurveda. Sanskrit text with English translation. Third thoroughly revised and enlarged edition (1980).

The Sanhitâ of the Black Yajur Veda with the Commentary of Mâdhava ‘Achârya, Calcutta (Bibl. Indica, 10 volumes, 1854–1899)

Kumar, Pushpendra, Taittiriya Brahmanam (Krsnam Yajurveda), 3 vols., Delhi (1998)

Rajagopal Iyer

Mar 30, 2015, 9:12:17 AM3/30/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
namo namaH,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM, valerio virgini
<valerio...@gmail.com> wrote:

Many vipra have already replied to your query.

I have lit two pyres in my lifetime: my father's and mother's .

> I would like to know if the vaiṣṇava have a unique funeral rite or if this
> differs in some details between the various schools vaiṣṇava .

It depends on the suutra that one follows.

For example, you would find aapastamba and boudhaayana in KYV.

baudhaayana is fairly elaborate: for example the number of pinda varies.

Secondly, per aapastamba there are two types apara-kriyaa:
pitR^i-medha and brahma-medha.

brahma medha is slightly more elaborate in aapatamba compared to pitR^i medha.

For example brahma-medha has two whole anuvaaka-s (from TS 1.4) while
giving the fire whereas pitR^i-medha has only few short sentences.

> There is a part of the rite (hymns, prayers, mantras, actions) that is
> always common in every funeral ceremony?

There are minor variants here too. Per aapastamba the pot of fire
(pretaagni) has to be emptied on the heart directly on the body.

Whereas I have seen in couple of mahaarashtrian braahmaNa funerals thy
use a stick with some cloth tied on to the end and without seeding the
body, that stick is inserted into the pyre -- pile of logs.

> What are the text (for vaiṣṇava) that give indications on funeral rituals?

I have never attended any shri-vishNava funeral. So sorry I will not
be of much help here

There is a book from raaamakrishNa maTha , Mylapore on this topic. It
contains both the medha with shloka/mantra in samskrita and tamiz
transliteration. I am located about 2000 km away from it in Thane near
Mumbai.

Hope that helps.

--
aa no bhadraaH kratavo yantu vishvataH
(Let auspicious come from the Universe)

Rajagopal

valerio virgini

Mar 30, 2015, 9:50:51 AM3/30/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
thanks Rajgopal

These rituals can be performed by anyone?
Or you have to be relatives or priests?

Also,
what is the aim of these rituals?

thanks
valerio

G S S Murthy

Mar 30, 2015, 11:28:13 AM3/30/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Abbe Dubois has written a book, perhaps in French, (I must have seen the English version) on Hindu customs and rites sometime in late 19th century. That could give one some idea. Googling will provide details.
Regards
Murthy

Subrahmanian R

Mar 30, 2015, 6:59:18 PM3/30/15
to samskrita
Sirs,

With reference to the detailed clarification of Sri Rajagopala Iyer, I wish to add, similar to the practice mentioned by Sri Iyer, in Varanasi also the agni is not brought in a pot from home to be emptied on the heart, but lit in the smasana, using stick of a particular plant/ tree.

Regards

R Subrahmanian

KN.Ramesh

Apr 5, 2015, 6:29:13 AM4/5/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Chandra Raghu

Apr 6, 2015, 9:07:08 PM4/6/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com, knra...@gmail.com
Please see attached PDF for a comprehensive write-up.

Regards,

Chandra Raghu  /   My Blogs  /   281-606-5607  / ARSHA VIDYA BHARATI

AntyesthiSamskar.pdf

valerio virgini

Apr 8, 2015, 8:27:57 AM4/8/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank Ramesh, thank Raghu ... is just what I wanted!

valerio