adhItam

Shreyas P. Munshi

Aug 1, 2017, 10:29:15 AM8/1/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
In th shanti path "sahanavavatu sahanaubhunaktu sahavIryamkarvAvahai
tejasvinAvadhItamastu mA vidvishAvahai",
​what is the grammatical class of the word "adhItam" and is linked with what in the pATha?
Would scholars help?

____________________________

Shreyas Munshi
shreya...@rediffmail.com
C202, Mandar Apartments, 120 Ft D P Road,
Seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai 400 061
Tel Res: (22) 26364290 Mob: 981 981 8197

hnbhat

Aug 1, 2017, 1:13:30 PM8/1/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

It means that is learnt. Past participle of अधि-इ+क्त.

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 1, 2017, 2:02:28 PM8/1/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
तेजस्विनावधैतमस्तु

= तेजस्वि + नौ + अधीतं + अस्तु

= नौ अधीतं यदस्ति तत् तेजस्वि अस्तु |

Some people take it as

यत् तेजस्वि अस्ति तत् नौ अधीतं अस्तु |

On 1 August 2017, at 19:59, "Shreyas P. Munshi" <shreya...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

In th shanti path "sahanavavatu sahanaubhunaktu sahavIryamkarvAvahai
tejasvinAvadhItamastu mA vidvishAvahai",
​what is the grammatical class of the word "adhItam" and is linked with what in the pATha?
Would scholars help?

____________________________

Shreyas Munshi
shreya...@rediffmail.com
C202, Mandar Apartments, 120 Ft D P Road,
Seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai 400 061
Tel Res: (22) 26364290 Mob: 981 981 8197

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 1, 2017, 2:04:23 PM8/1/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
typo:

तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु

not

तेजस्विनावधैतमस्तु

Ramakrishnan D

Aug 2, 2017, 3:16:32 AM8/2/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com

हरिः ॐ

श्रीमन् पातूरि महोदय ! नमोनमः |

'तेजस्विनावधीतमस्तु'   इत्यत्र तेजस्विनौ  अधीतमस्तु इति वा  तेजस्विना अवधीतमस्तु  इति वा  तेजस्वि नौ अधीतमस्तु

इति वा  तेजस्वि न अवधीतमस्तु इति वा  तेजस्वि नौ  अधीतमस्तु इति वा,  मम संशयः अस्ति |

 'नौ'  इत्युक्ते किम् ? क्षम्यतां महोदय !

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 2, 2017, 5:48:07 AM8/2/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
नौ is a Vaidika Sanskrita word.

It is used here in the sense of asmaabhih.

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 2, 2017, 5:55:19 AM8/2/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Sorry, it is used here in the sense of āvābhyām .

nah is the original noun.

Ramakrishnan D

Aug 2, 2017, 6:46:38 AM8/2/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com

धन्यवादः महोदय !

इदानीमवगतम् | अस्मदच्छब्दस्य द्व‍िवचनं 'नौ'  शब्दः इति | धन्योऽस्मि |

shankara

Aug 2, 2017, 8:52:22 AM8/2/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

In this context (नौ अधीतम्), नौ is used in the sense of आवयोः, 'of both of us'. In the Tritiya vibhakti of अस्मद्, आवाभ्याम् does not have an alternative form. It can be considered as an आर्षप्रयोग, if it is in Tritiya vibhakti.

I have question here - Is the word तेजस्वि (instead of तेजस्वी) an आर्षप्रयोग?

regards
shankara

hnbhat

Aug 2, 2017, 10:28:33 AM8/2/17

On 2 August 2017, at 18:22, 'shankara' via samskrita <sams...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

>Namaste,
>
>In this context (नौ अधीतम्), नौ is used in the sense of आवयोः, 'of both of us'. In the Tritiya vibhakti of अस्मद्, आवाभ्याम् does not have an alternative form. It can be considered as an आर्षप्रयोग, if it is in Tritiya vibhakti.

It is not Tritiya vibhakti, but षष्ठी विभक्ति द्विवचनम् as Nagaraj Paturi ha indicated in his correction in the next message.

>I have question here - Is the word तेजस्वि (instead of तेजस्वी) an आर्षप्रयोग?

तेजस्वी is the form in nominative singular of masculine gender, but here it is neuter gender तेजस्वि adjective of अधीतम्. Hence it is not आर्षप्रयोग.

Shreyas P. Munshi

Aug 2, 2017, 10:29:42 AM8/2/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Respected Paturi Sir,
In your explanation:

= तेजस्वि + नौ + अधीतं + अस्तु

= नौ अधीतं यदस्ति तत् तेजस्वि अस्तु |,
​what is the pratipaadik (uninflected noun) of तेजस्वि ? And in the declension of its pratipaadik,
​what case and number (vibhakti and vachanam)  is तेजस्वि?
​Kindly help.
​Thans and regards

____________________________

Shreyas Munshi
shreya...@rediffmail.com
C202, Mandar Apartments, 120 Ft D P Road,
Seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai 400 061

shankara

Aug 2, 2017, 11:13:11 AM8/2/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Bhat Mahodaya,

Thank you for explaining the word तेजस्वि.

regards
shankara

hnbhat

KN.Ramesh

Aug 3, 2017, 8:51:50 AM8/3/17
to samskrita

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Aug 3, 2017, 10:07:07 AM8/3/17
to samskrita
Dear Group,

I have another doubt when I look at सहनाववतु....Why has the dual number नौ been employed everywhere?  Would it not be more logical to use either the singular or the plural as  मां/न:, मया/अस्माभि:?  Who are the two persons invoking these blessings together?

Arvind Kolhatkar.

hnbhat

Aug 3, 2017, 10:49:05 AM8/3/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

As one can see from the tone, the two persons are teacher and the student.

Nagaraj Paturi

Aug 3, 2017, 12:32:12 PM8/3/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
It is the guru and s'ishya. The whole beauty of the mantra is in the dual number. How beautiful to imagine the two 'singing' it together! One of the best examples to understand the justification for dual number.

We have many modern songs sung by a couple together, looking into each others eyes, smiling, enjoying the togetherness, making promises to each other, expressing wishes of long lived togetherness and so on.

This is on those lines, but between guru and s'ishya!

On 3 August 2017, at 19:37, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Group,

I have another doubt when I look at सहनाववतु....Why has the dual number नौ been employed everywhere?  Would it not be more logical to use either the singular or the plural as  मां/न:, मया/अस्माभि:?  Who are the two persons invoking these blessings together?

Arvind Kolhatkar.

अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः | श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् ।

Aug 4, 2017, 12:47:50 AM8/4/17
to samskrita
The dual number can be relevant to any two entities =>
  1. Guru and Shishya. The Guru also learns even when teaching. More challenging the Shishya, more does the Guru learn. A child with challenged abilities is so much challenging for the teacher of such children !
  2. Husband and wife. This mantra is a very good marriage vow and prayer for all the life after marriage. This prayer is a good deterrent for any thought of divorce any time and is a good initiation into cohesive outlook and conduct of life.
  3. Speaker and his audience. The mantra is apt even for one-to-many interaction.
  4. When leaders of two nations meet. This mantra is possibly the only "agreement" the leaders need to agree to.
  5. So, any two entities, what one may think of - even two strangers meeting each other for the first time. That way this mantra signifies the concept of "fraternity", which is said to have become the by-word during French revolution.

hnbhat

Aug 4, 2017, 2:31:08 AM8/4/17

On 4 August 2017, at 10:17, अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः | श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् । <sl.abh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The dual number can be relevant to any two entities =>
>

>Guru and Shishya. The Guru also learns even when teaching. More challenging the Shishya, more does the Guru learn. A child with challenged abilities is so much challenging for the teacher of such children !Husband and wife. This mantra is a very good marriage vow and prayer for all the life after marriage. This prayer is a good deterrent for any thought of divorce any time and is a good initiation into cohesive outlook and conduct of life.Speaker and his audience. The mantra is apt even for one-to-many interaction.When leaders of two nations meet. This mantra is possibly the only "agreement" the leaders need to agree to. So, any two entities, what one may think of - even two strangers meeting each other for the first time. That way this mantra signifies the concept of "fraternity", which is said to have become the by-word during French revolution.
>
>-

Very good comments.

Shreyas P. Munshi

Aug 4, 2017, 2:37:08 AM8/4/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Yes Bhat Sir. You have rightly stated that "As one can see from the tone, the two persons are teacher and the student." And if we remember the humility that our Rishis had, I think , it is the teacher who must have  uttered this mantra. "Let us learn together" seems to be the approach of the preceptors of that time.

​In your previous mail you had aptly said "
तेजस्विन् इन्नन्त प्रातिपदिकम्, neuter gender nominative singular. तेजस्वि - तेजस्विनी - तेजस्वीनि" and gave the much needed advice "Please learn declensions of
nnanta.".
I must humbly submit, I was aware of the declension तेजस्वि - तेजस्विनी - तेजस्वीनि. But the reason for asking the question was that तेजस्वि (inflected  प्रातिपदिकम्' तेजस्विन्' appears atr three places: nominative singular, accusative singular and vocative singular. The vocative was easily ruled out. But a doubt remained for the prathama and dvitiya.
You described तेजस्वि​ as nominative singular. Even I had thought so. It agrees with imperative Prathama purusha ekvachanam 'astu' as also with 'adhItam' but the pronoun 'nau' in dual number coming inbetween remained beyond my understanding. So I wondered if I knew something vey less about  तेजस्वि and asked the question.
​To a confused beginning learner (me), this mantra has been baffling for past three-four years. Scholars have kindly given meanings of individual words like 'AdhItam', 'tejasvi' , 'nau' etc but the position of the last 'nau' remained unexplained just as Shri Arvind Kolhatkar-ji has expressed.

Day before yesterday
. I appraoached the mantra like a really beginning student. And Ithink I found the answer I have been looking for. (I am humbly submitting for your critical appreciation and guidence). I broke the first line of the mantra in four parts. And understood (so I thought!) as follows:
ONE sahanaavavatu...May the (unknown) higher power sah or sA or tat protect us both
TWO sahanaubhunaktu...May the same higher power sah or sA or tat nourish us both
Three sahavIryam karvAvahai...here the "karta; changes...Let we two (AvAm) viiryam karvAvahai...(I use Dr Kapildev Dvivedi's book PrauDha-rachanAnuvAdakaumudi, and in that I could not find dhatu, lakAr, purush and vachanam of "karavAvahai". So I broke up karvAvahai to karau + Avhai. looked up in spokensanskrit.de the meaning of 'kara". Among many meanings I found the entry :"
कर kara m. symbolical expression for the number two
;.
Then I looked up Avahai. Among many meanings it gave one meaning as follows:
आवहते { आवह् } Avahate { Avah }...verb... drive or lead near or towards

 Thus the third part of the mantra mentioned by me above meant (perhaps!) "(AvAm) karau sahavIryam Avahai". (AvAm= 'hum dono', and AvAm karau=' hum dono hi'.!) .....And the
FOUR The last  "nau" (AvayoH, this I owe to you Bhat Sir, because some mails earlier you had clarified  nau as AvayoH) refers to vIryam. Thus the last part would mean
"nau (AvayoH) "​vIryam  तेजस्वि cha adhItam astu"
The mantra would thus translate as:
May the (unknown) higher power protect us both.
May the same higher power nourish us both.
Let us both drive (go) towards viryam........vigour (to study scriptures!)
May our viryam be tejasvi and adhItam.
Submitted in all humility by Shreyas (Learner for Life).
____________________________

____________________________

Shreyas Munshi
shreya...@rediffmail.com
C202, Mandar Apartments, 120 Ft D P Road,
Seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai 400 061
>​Three sahavIryam karvAvahai...here the "karta; changes...Let we two (AvAm) viiryam karvAvahai...(I use Dr Kapildev Dvivedi's book PrauDha-rachanAnuvAdakaumudi, and in that I could not find dhatu, lakAr, purush and vachanam of "karavAvahai". So I broke up karvAvahai to karau + Avhai. looked up in spokensanskrit.de the meaning of 'kara". Among many meanings I found the entry :" करkaram.symbolical expression for the number two

>;.
>Then I looked up Avahai. Among many meanings it gave one meaning as follows: आवहते { आवह् } Avahate { Avah }...verb... drive or lead near or towards
> Thus the third part of the mantra mentioned by me above meant (perhaps!) "(AvAm) karau sahavIryam Avahai". (AvAm= 'hum dono', and AvAm karau=' hum dono hi'.!) ....

Good fancy work. But करौ+आवहै would be joined as करावावहै and not करवावहै!

.And the रूपचन्द्रिका by श्री. ब्रह्मानन्द त्रिपाठी published by चौखंबा सुरभारती प्रकाशन, वाराणसी  find करवावहै given as कृ-धातुः (तनादिः आत्मनेपदी) | तस्य लोटि उत्तमपुरुषे द्विवचनम् | Obviously कर्तृपदम् is आवाम्.

कुरुताम् कुर्वाताम् कुर्वताम्
कुरुष्व कुर्वाथाम् कुरुध्वम्
करवै करवावहै करवामहै

>FOUR The last  "nau" (AvayoH, this I owe to you Bhat Sir, because some mails earlier you had clarified  nau as AvayoH) refers to vIryam. Thus the last part would mean
>"nau (AvayoH) "​vIryam  तेजस्वि cha adhItam astu"
>The mantra would thus translate as:
>May the (unknown) higher power protect us both.
>May the same higher power nourish us both.
>Let us both drive (go) towards viryam........vigour (to study scriptures!)
>May our viryam be tejasvi and adhItam.
>Submitted in all humility by Shreyas (Learner for Life).
>__

I don't understand your reasoning, when नौ is explained in the first three occasions correctly to take it into 4th sentence.
___Anyhow you can get every meaning in dictionary for every word in the Shanti Mantra given by Abhyankar in his site below:

Shreyas P. Munshi

Aug 4, 2017, 5:52:05 AM8/4/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Bhat Sir.
I have realized my mistake in sandhi..  करौ+आवहै would be joined as करावावहै and not करवावहै!

.I think I must buy the रूपचन्द्रिका by श्री. ब्रह्मानन्द त्रिपाठी published by चौखंबा सुरभारती प्रकाशन, वाराणसी

With respectful regards...Shreyas
____________________________

Shreyas Munshi
shreya...@rediffmail.com
C202, Mandar Apartments, 120 Ft D P Road,
Seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai 400 061
I wish to close the topic So will you kindly do me one more favour ?
​How would the line "tejasvinAvadhItamastu" translate?
Thanks and regards...Shreyas

____________________________

Shreyas Munshi
shreya...@rediffmail.com
C202, Mandar Apartments, 120 Ft D P Road,
Seven Bungalows, Versova, Mumbai 400 061
Tel Res: (22) 26364290 Mob: 981 981 8197

hnbhat

Aug 4, 2017, 7:20:14 AM8/4/17

On 4 August 2017, at 15:45, "Shreyas P. Munshi" <shreya...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

>Respected Bhat Sir,
>I wish to close the topic So will you kindly do me one more favour ?
>​How would the lin
e "tejasvinAvadhItamastu" translate?

तेजस्वि नौ+ अधीतम्+अस्तु

  ५ अधीतं नौ तेजस्वि अस्तु । क्रियापदम् “अस्तु” अकर्मकम् । कर्तृपदम्  “अधीतम्” । पूरकम् “तेजस्वि”

May learning be brilliant for us.
The translation is from Abhyankar's blogspot. You can visit for closely following his explanations in his blogs:

https://slabhyankar.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/learning-sanskrit-by-fresh-approach-–-lesson-no-90/

For detailed word by word study his study in

https://upanishat.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/कृष्णयजुर्वेदीयः-शान्ति/

Shreyas P. Munshi

Aug 4, 2017, 11:57:32 PM8/4/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com