[Samskrita] Bhartruhari's three Satakas

G S S Murthy

May 16, 2015, 7:48:48 AM5/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I have started posting Bhartruhari’s सुभाषितत्रिशती at my blog site

http://gssmurthy.blogspot.in/.

Bhartruhari’s three Sataka’s (Sataka being a poetic work of one hundred verses) namely, NeetiSataka ,SrungaraSataka and VairagyaSataka (dealing with good conduct, romance and renunciation respectively),  are well known. The work is available in several editions and in several languages. There are several commentaries in several languages.

Although the work may be known to a large number of people, it is quite possible that many, like me, might not have gone through all the three Sataka’s in their entirety. This is an attempt to do that.

Each posting will carry a few verses in order from each of the three Satakas with text and prose order in Sanskrit and my English translation which attempts to be as close to the original as possible. This method of studying all the three almost parallelly and not serially may reduce the possibility of an overdose of any sentiment!  I hope to post a blog every week.

Those interested may have a look at the above blog site.

Thanks and regards,

Murthy

n balu

May 16, 2015, 9:30:46 PM5/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Dear Sri Murthy,
great service!
Thanks,
Balu
Dr. N.Balasubramanian
9, VLN Prabuddhalaya
748 A, Nisarga Layout
Bannerghatta P.O.
Bangalore 560083
India
Phones
Home:+91 (80) 2205 7309
Mobile :+91 9986448022

Rajam Srinivasan

May 16, 2015, 9:31:14 PM5/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sir;

You have my deepest gratitude for this gift.  This will be most extensively used by me in my class (in a Hindu temple in New York) and I am absolutely certain that the students (of all ages) will be delighted to no end.  Your blog will probably be most used for a while and I hope that the Temple can make this a part of their Summer Institute 2015.

Thank you again.

Warm regards,

Iyengar

Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 17:18:45 +0530